DVDVR Message Board

MS. MARVEL (SPOILER TALK)

Thought the stuff in the past with Aisha along with the of the daughter, mother, and grandmother bonding together were nice. The actual end to Clan Destine was disappointing. The ending for the leader in particular was nice as an idea, but she felt too underdeveloped for it to hit home the way they hoped. Not sure what the big finale will be or how they will build it with the main villains being done already, but if I'm being honest the most interesting & enjoyable parts of the show have been the focus on family and friends along with Kamala just trying to live her life.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Vice versa, Kamala is in Marvels

James

That’s been confirmed for a long time. We were talking about the possibility of a Carol Danvers cameo in Ms. Marvel not the other way around.

SHE FUCKIN' EMBIGGENED.

And they did the X-Men theme when Bruno told her she had a mutation in her genes.

EDIT: And I was totally wrong about the Captain Marvel cameo!

Edited by Casey
  • Like 5

Kind of an anti-climactic finale for just a big Home Alone fight with Damage Control. They threw out everything they were building up in episode 5. Kamala needed a more compelling villain for this season. The final was more like an episode 3 or 4 plot. 

So they switched Kamala Khan from being an Inhuman to a Mutant now, which OK I guess, but I'm confused how that works. I guess the bangle never caused or unlocked her powers to begin with. It's just a magic space artifact like the Ten Rings. 

The stuff with Kamala, her parents, and family was always good. Damage Control, Najma, Clandestine was bad and poorly executed.

Edited by TheVileOne

The way I took it, and will continue to go with until they explain it, is that the bangle unlocked her mutation (and also harnesses that power). If that's how they do it, then mutants need something that triggers their mutation in their DNA, they aren't just born with their powers already existing (or if you're Toad, he's not out of the womb looking like a fucking frog). A cross between Inhumans, and the mutants/X-Men. Which, if they do, will make so many people mad probably.

I'm sure people will be down on this episode after the Karachi stuff and how lame the Clan Destine were, but a group of kids outsmarted a fascist government organizations with simple booby traps, and my girl embiggened to save the day. Nobody can bring me down off this high. And G. Willow Wilson was in the cell phone TikTok montage. My heart is full.

Just give me S2, more Red Dagger, and the Inventor/Thomas Edison and I'll be happy.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

OMG OMG OMG

It amuses me how much one reference can make me mark out so much.

In my opinion, this is in the running for the best MCU show and is neck and neck with Loki for my favorite.

This was in reference to the bit with Bruno at the end, but “embiggen” was also a big mark out moment.

I disagree about needing a “better villain” for this season, as I think this season was more about her personal/family journey than fighting villains. That said, ClanDestine was the weak point, especially the bit where Najma was apparently trying to save Kamran/Earth instead of doing something nefarious. I didn’t get that from the scene at all until Kamala told Kamran that’s what happened.

I liked that they potentially laid the groundwork with the rogue DODC agent for regulating kid superheroes, although it seems early to have a jr. Sokovia Accords in the MCU.  I wouldn’t be surprised if that agent pops back up with whatever Contessa has going on.

• Like 2

By the end of the episode, it felt like a Spider-Man cameo would be more appropriate than a Captain Marvel one. I half-expected (ok, more like quarter-expected) him to swing by at the end while she was sitting on the lamp post.

Clearly, if Peter, MJ, and Ned had applied to CalTech, all of No Way Home could have been avoided, since they seemingly have much more lax admission standards than MIT when it comes to aiding vigilantes.

• Haha 1

I feel like this show started as a Pakistani version of "Fresh Off the Boat" meets "Clarissa Explains It All" and someone slapped some Marvel paint on it.  All things in the show related to Marvel felt tacked on and rushed.  She had little control over her power and with zero training was able to master it no problem.  Plus her power origins are all over the place.  She got it from the bracelet, she had it awakened by the bracelet, she is part Djinn so that's why she has the powers, and now she is a mutant and that's why she has the powers?  They undercut the mutant thing in the same breath they mentioned it by saying she can use her powers because she is Djinn.  So what does being a mutant matter if she can use her powers because she is Djinn?  Beyond those powers she was getting killed in dodgeball and then was able to swing from lampposts and do "Tobey going down the stairs in Spiderman" moves with her powers.  ClanDestine was pointless and the DoDC was incompetent from the start.  By the way, is Kamran a mutant?  

I did like Kamala and her interactions with Bruno, Nakia and her family.  I just think this would have worked better as an ABC half hour comedy about a Pakistani family living in Jersey and focused on their youngest daughter trying to find her place in the world.  All the Marvel stuff felt lazy and ruined all pacing and made the editing seem sudden and awful.  

If you liked it that's fine, but I feel this suffered like all the other shows from poor writing.  You look at the resumes of the writers and see they have barely done anything and how all the D+ series stumble (save for Wandavision for the most part) because these writers aren't up to the task.  Give me seasoned writers and Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, a better Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, Blade, a Moon Knight where we actually see the fights, Punisher, and real mutants.  

I actually dug the finale more than I thought I would.

Damage Control sadly worked better as villains than the actual villains trying to end the world to get back home did. I liked all the scenes with Kamala's friend/family and how the community came together. It led to some nice moments all around. The mutant hint was interesting, and I dug the post credits scene. Looking forward to seeing what unanswered questions Marvels answers when its out. Definitely wouldn't mind a season 2.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

Iman Vellani is doing an AMA on r/marvelstudios and it’s quite amazing.

ONE OF US ONE OF US

I read a different interview with her where she and Bruno said they had to do a whole bunch of retakes of the end scene outside Kamran’s car because they were too giddy and laughing too much to get the “mutation” line out without breaking.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I read a different interview with her where she and Bruno said they had to do a whole bunch of retakes of the end scene outside Kamran’s car because they were too giddy and laughing too much to get the “mutation” line out without breaking.

Speaking of that scene: apparently Sana and Willow always intended on Kamala being a mutant when they created her, but because mutants were being phased out around that time in the comics in favor of the Inhumans they had to go with that instead. So Sana and Willow were pretty happy they get to “right that wrong”.

but Iman still loves Black Bolt and Lockjaw

EDIT: lmfao

”hey Iman what’s your favorite marvel TV show so far”

”probably Hawkeye and the first half of WandaVision”

Edited by Casey

I liked it, but I don't know.  It felt a bit like an Agents of SHIELD episode with the way they handled the school stuff, and that's not a compliment.  Loved the "costume from Mom, name from Dad" bit, but given my near-allergic reaction to how stuffy her mother was in the first ep, it seems a bit crazy that they flip over that completely by the end of the show.  But the stuff that's been working still worked, and the Spidey cameo thing would have made some sense, since this show 100% sets her up to be the modern-day Spider-Man.

But maybe Disney & Marvel are stretching themselves a bit too thin with so many shows.  I'd rather see half as many of them and have them done better; I don't think any of them have been as good as Daredevil was, for example.  Then again, Disney's a bunch of assholes who don't want to pay people for better work as evidenced by the CGI worker complaints, so hey, here we are.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 4

On 7/13/2022 at 3:03 PM, TheVileOne said:

I guess the two bangles are really the cosmic nega-bands? Do we know where the other one is yet? Is that where Kamala got zapped to?

I guess I need to (groan) watch Captain Marvel again.  I thought that Carol was fitted with Nega-Bands to regulate her powers and that they were Kree science.  I had assumed that Kamala's bangle was some sort of Quantum Band like the ones Quasar wore.

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok having rewatched this since my laptop died, I can say that this is and Hawkeye are the most I've enjoyed any MCU project since Winter Soldier

I honestly think the wedding dance scene is the single most joyous moment of television in 2023

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...