DVDVR Message Board

MS. MARVEL (SPOILER TALK)

• The Natural changed the title to MS. MARVEL (SPOILER TALK).
  • Dolfan in NYC changed the title to MS. MARVEL (SPOILER TALK)

Ranking the Disney+ Marvel shows so far:

6. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (2021).

5. Hawkeye (2021).

4. Moon Knight (2022).

3. What...If? (2021).

2. WandaVision (2021).

1. Loki (2021).

Tough choice between TFATWS/Hawkeye for bottom of the table and Loki/WandaVision for the top spot. Best thing about Hawkeye was Kate Bishop/Yelena Belova's interactions. Didn't like Kimgpin's treatment. LARP was lame. Speaking of lame, the Flag Smashers in TFATWS. That was my biggest takeaway from said show even though it had some good moments. Moon Knight's pacing was off but I didn't have issues with it to the extent I did Hawkeye/TFATWS.

Really enjoyed What…if? rewarding long-time fans of Marvel Studios MCU with references to its past, the similarities and the differences deviating from what we know. The animation style is great. Out of nine episodes, I’d say seven were hits with only two misses.

My favourite thing about WandaVision was theorizing who was responsible for what was happening, the different eras we went through. Going from inside Westview to outside of it. Shame the final episode was the worst one.

Loki is the best Marvel Studios Disney+ show so far for the story told, the repercussions it will have on the MCU introducing the Multiverse and Kang. Here's a Loki from Thor (2011)/The Avengers (2012) and not the Loki who developed further as seen in Thor: The Dark World (2013), Thor: Ragnarok (2017) and Avengers: Infinity War (2018). I thought Loki stuck the landing the best of the six.

Edited by The Natural

FUtx0BBWQAE0RXR?format=jpg&name=small

Just watched the first episode. Found Kamala Khan likeable as she's into the world of superheroes as are we but unlikable hurting her parents with the actions she's taken. That's not good. We'll get backstory about the bangle, how it differs from the little I know about her powers come about in the comics.

Edited by The Natural

What I’m assuming are going to be revealed eventually to be nega-bands are the source of her powers in this show, in the comics her powers are unlocked from the Terrigen Mist. I have a feeling they’re going to still do the Inhumans somehow.

But anyway this was fucking great and I teared up multiple times. It’s surreal seeing my favorite hero in live action like this, even if it’s a little different. TONS of Easter eggs in this episode, I’m gonna have to watch it again.

Those credits at the end fuckin’ slap tho, I love that they used actual Kamala/Carol artwork from the comics.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

What I’m assuming are going to be revealed eventually to be nega-bands are the source of her powers in this show, in the comics her powers are unlocked from the Terrigen Mist. I have a feeling they’re going to still do the Inhumans somehow.

But anyway this was fucking great and I teared up multiple times. It’s surreal seeing my favorite hero in live action like this, even if it’s a little different. TONS of Easter eggs in this episode, I’m gonna have to watch it again.

Those credits at the end fuckin’ slap tho, I love that they used actual Kamala/Carol artwork from the comics.

Wish that happened more often. I loved how that was done for the animated Batman: Year One film.

14 hours ago, Casey said:

I've known you for years now which means you've known me for years as well.

When I am wrong, I am the first guy to admit it. You know that.

So you know who was vocally upset about the stretchy powers not being there? To the point where it was about all she wanted to talk about towards the end of the episode?

My nine-year old daughter who's read all of Ms. Marvel V3/4.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I DL it thus morning but didn't bring it with me to work. 

I'm not really in any hurry to watch it. I mean, I know this show is not aimed at me. 

But I'm glad that it meant so much to Casey and that he liked it. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I've known you for years now which means you've known me for years as well.

When I am wrong, I am the first guy to admit it. You know that.

So you know who was vocally upset about the stretchy powers not being there? To the point where it was about all she wanted to talk about towards the end of the episode?

My nine-year old daughter who's read all of Ms. Marvel V3/4.

If you want to get technical, the stretchy powers ARE there. And it didn’t look like a Green Lantern thing where it’s just a construct. It looked like her entire arm stretched with the cosmic power surrounding it.

1 minute ago, Casey said:

If you want to get technical, the stretchy powers ARE there. And it didn’t look like a Green Lantern thing where it’s just a construct. It looked like her entire arm stretched with the cosmic power surrounding it.

Nine year olds only want to get technical when it confirms their biases.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Also: if we can't have a talking pigeon that's a clone of Thomas Edison in this show, then I'm glad they at least dropped an easter egg about it. G. Willow Wilson getting a nod as an alumni of Kamala's high school is so great - one of the moments I teared up at, actually.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Fucking excellent, the style of the show gives me Scott Pilgrim vibes. No idea who that was in the post-credits but that's what the Internet is for!

I was trying to think where the style comes from and you nailed it. Cheers.

21 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I like the pop, graphic art style. It's a nice way to visualize Kamala's thoughts and feelings. I really think Iman Vellani is going to be a breakout star. She's really good and believable here.

She straight up told Kevin Feige over text that the MCU isn’t 616, and he replied with a sad face emoji.

• Haha 2

Great first episode.  Iman Vellani was totally great and completely believable in the "Holy shit, I am a superhero!" stuff.  As a dad, I was hit in the feels during the scene where Kamala's was mortified by the whole Big Hulk / Little Hulk plan for AvengerCon.  It is rewarding and heartbreaking when you discover that your children are becoming capable of taking care of themselves or are at least beginning to develop their own identities.   Feeling your role as the protective parent begin to diminish is never a comfortable transition.

Not sure how I feel about the bangle.  I will probably hate it if it is magic, but I will be okay if it turns out to be a Kree nega band or something.

7 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Fucking excellent, the style of the show gives me Scott Pilgrim vibes. No idea who that was in the post-credits but that's what the Internet is for!

I think that was supposed to be Sadie Deever and Tom Foster from the US Department of Damage Control.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Great first episode.  Iman Vellani was totally great and completely believable in the "Holy shit, I am a superhero!" stuff.  As a dad, I was hit in the feels during the scene where Kamala's was mortified by the whole Big Hulk / Little Hulk plan for AvengerCon.  It is rewarding and heartbreaking when you discover that your children are becoming capable of taking care of themselves or are at least beginning to develop their own identities.

Not sure how I feel about the bangle.  I will probably hate it if it is magic, but I will be okay if it turns out to be a Kree nega band or something.

I think they were all agents / employees of The Department of Damage Control.

I kind of really felt for her parents in that scene. They were actually trying to be nice and tried to help, but she of threw it back in their face. It didn't make Kamal unlikable or anything, but it added a nice wrinkle to her family dynamic. Kamala is growing up and she wants some freedom and independence. Her mother is very strict and traditional. None of them are bad, it's just that weird adjustment period. 

We already saw one of the agents from the credit scene. That was the scumbag investigator from Damage Control who tried to arrest Peter for "murdering" Mysterio. Agent Cleery.

She straight up told Kevin Feige over text that the MCU isn’t 616, and he replied with a sad face emoji.

She's not wrong. She should also tell Feige how much he fucked up Moon Knight.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

I don't know, I didn't love this, despite wanting to.

I'm just at a point in my life where I'm highly allergic to stuffy, stick-up-the-ass, controlling parenting wherever it occurs; I've seen enough of it in the real world and even when I know it's coming, it still rubs me 18 kinds of wrong.  I fully expect this show is going to be full of those cliched "parents discover the complexity of their children and by extension understand themselves better" kinds of moments by the end, especially since this is apparently some kind of heirloom doohickey that will Explain the Mysteries of Grandma, but I doubt it will be good or compelling enough to overcome the 3 hours of overbearing bullshit that is already getting teed up.

The style was great, the execution was mostly great.  My only nitpicky thought was how friggin' stupid is it that this convention had decorations that were so large and insane they could come off and threaten people's lives?  That's some Action Park-level crazy that didn't make a lot of sense except as plot convenience.

Edited by Contentious C

On 6/9/2022 at 5:30 PM, Contentious C said:

My only nitpicky thought was how friggin' stupid is it that this convention had decorations that were so large and insane they could come off and threaten people's lives?  That's some Action Park-level crazy that didn't make a lot of sense except as plot convenience.

It’s what Tony would have wanted.

• Like 2