DVDVR Message Board

June 2022 Wrestling Pics and GIFS

On 6/25/2022 at 4:00 PM, Stefanie the Human said:

You know, I've purchased stuff from iTunes that's no longer available for purchase, and I can still download it even though it's long been pulled from distribution.

Maybe I've had albums go missing from streaming services that I can't access, but unless I bought it from a shady digital distributor, I can still access it.

Which is my point entirely. I can (and have) all sorts of maladies happen to my physical media, but if I accidentally delete my download of a movie... I just download it again from the store I bought it from. Easy peasy.

While that might generally be true for music, or other mainstream things like major films, when it comes to pro wrestling, it all depends on how long the agreement between a streaming service and the promotion which produced the content exists for. Each company has their own agreements with their respective streaming services to use their footage for a certain period of time (for example, the SHIMMER library is on Highspots for 5 years). Once those deals expire, unless a new agreement is reached to extend the deal, that footage will no longer be available unless/until a new streaming deal is made. Folks who have DVDs on their shelves never have to worry about the material they may want to watch disappearing from streaming. What you may watch on streaming today is not necessarily still going to be there to watch again in 6 months. 

Edited by daveprazak
  • Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, daveprazak said:

While that might generally be true for music, or other mainstream things like major films, when it comes to pro wrestling, it all depends on how long the agreement between a streaming service and the promotion which produced the content exists for. Each company has their own agreements with their respective streaming services to use their footage for a certain period of time (for example, the SHIMMER library is on Highspots for 5 years). Once those deals expire, unless a new agreement is reached to extend the deal, that footage will no longer be available unless/until a new streaming deal is made. Folks who have DVDs on their shelves never have to worry about the material they may want to watch disappearing from streaming. What you may watch on streaming today is not necessarily still going to be there to watch again in 6 months. 

I wasn't referring to streaming services, but digital downloads themselves. Highspots' digital download limitations are frustrating, since they expire access to purchases after seven days, but that's what I pay for cloud storage for, so if I absolutely have to buy something from Highspots, I'll download it immediately and put it onto my cloud storage rather than maintain it locally.

I understand why Highspots does that, since as a smaller company the server costs to offer downloads in perpetuity would be quite high, but for those without access to cloud storage it must be annoying.

Antonio Inoki shakes hands with Strong Kobayashi in press for their first match. In the background stands Tokyo Sports president Hiroshi Inoue, who made the match happen by paying the IWE 10 million yen to not try to stop it. (An investment which the success of the match, and its importance in establishing New Japan, would pay back tenfold.)

ZRiKhLT.jpg

Edited by KinchStalker
  • Like 3