DVDVR Message Board

June 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Wrestling at the Chase trademark filed by several people for televison news shows, so Steven Church of Cosmos Entertainment Productions, Kevin Depew DBA Silverback Video and Robert Koplar DBA Koplar Communications.

20 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I remember him doing a house show in Australia against Santino and trying to start a USA chant and getting massively booed.

On the other hand, when he was here for WCW at a Thunder taping, he was probably the most over guy on the show despite being a heel with Team Canada at the time.

That's why, they prefer Canada to America apparently. It makes sense, what with the Queen and all.

On 6/20/2022 at 11:42 AM, Technico Support said:

Savage and Piper were notably missing from this show and I'd love to know what the lineup for the B town was on this night.  I'd also love to know how pissed they were for not getting a piece of this gate.

http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com/ringresults.htm at least still works.

Anyways, here was the B show...

WWF @ Kansas City, MO - Kemper Arena - August 28, 1986
Kamala defeated Koko B. Ware
The Haiti Kid defeated Butch Cassidy
Bob Orton Jr. defeated Cpl. Kirchner
WWF Women's Champion the Fabulous Moolah defeated Princess Jasmine
Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart defeated Mike Rotundo & Dan Spivey
WWF IC Champion Randy Savage defeated George Steele via disqualification
WWF Tag Team Champions Davey Boy Smith & the Dynamite Kid defeated Nikolai Volkoff & the Iron Sheik

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com/ringresults.htm at least still works.

Anyways, here was the B show...

WWF @ Kansas City, MO - Kemper Arena - August 28, 1986
Kamala defeated Koko B. Ware
The Haiti Kid defeated Butch Cassidy
Bob Orton Jr. defeated Cpl. Kirchner
WWF Women's Champion the Fabulous Moolah defeated Princess Jasmine
Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart defeated Mike Rotundo & Dan Spivey
WWF IC Champion Randy Savage defeated George Steele via disqualification
WWF Tag Team Champions Davey Boy Smith & the Dynamite Kid defeated Nikolai Volkoff & the Iron Sheik

Many thanks!  Looks like a rough show but maybe Harts vs US (don’t say American) Express was good.

I never did any tape trading but I did buy a "best of lucha" tape from Barnett, and Dean sent me a few tapes one time (Toryumon, BoSJ, and I think some Gaea). I gave all those tapes to a friend a few years ago (Ryan Brush, in case any of y'all know or traded with him) when I was trying to clean out some space and wasn't as in to wrestling as he was.

I also had a few of the DVDVR comps for Best of Feds, for a while I let a friend who was a bartender borrow some and they/we would watch them at the bar during slow times (me as a customer). I think I lent/gave the rest to another good friend.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 1

The old selling/trading thread from the old days of DVDVR had to go for legal reasons (probably) but for awhile it was a good resource, I made quite a few purchases from people back in the day. That one dude did those compilation DVDs (Bootscrapes, if I recall) that were solid. That was I guess ten years ago. I'm old. I have forgotten the tape trading site I used back in 2004 - 2007 but it was ugly as sin, old school forum, back when tapes were $20. Kids these days don't know how good they have it smh

• Like 1

Just now, Technico Support said:

I never traded taps but I bought a few comps from Golden Boy Tapes and maybe one from IVP, who coincidentally worked at the video store that was across the street from my apartment complex years ago.  Because it's a weird, small world.

Golden Boy Tapes was quite a thing, he was the biggest dealer (besides Lynch, who is somehow still trading underground as far as I know). Years later I found an interview he gave (after he had shut down the site) where he said how much money he made and it was some stupid amount. I don't want to misquote it since I don't remember the exact figure, but tens of thousands a year. Which makes sense, I mean a blank tape is a buck in bulk and he was selling tapes for $20+. I had a deal with him for awhile on my old site where he sent me free tapes and I'd promote his website, same with IVP. Felt like a fair trade at the time.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Kids these days don't know how good they have it smh

i'm constantly amazed at the availability of, well, everything due to the internet. music, movies, cartoons, comic books, video games, wrestling, you can literally find anything and everything if you know where to look. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Golden Boy Tapes was quite a thing, he was the biggest dealer (besides Lynch, who is somehow still trading underground as far as I know). Years later I found an interview he gave (after he had shut down the site) where he said how much money he made and it was some stupid amount. I don't want to misquote it since I don't remember the exact figure, but tens of thousands a year. Which makes sense, I mean a blank tape is a buck in bulk and he was selling tapes for $20+. I had a deal with him for awhile on my old site where he sent me free tapes and I'd promote his website, same with IVP. Felt like a fair trade at the time.

For anyone curious, found the article I was referencing, says he made $30,000 a year in revenue which was probably mostly profit. Oddly, no mention of the fact that it wasn't legal haha

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Log said:

I have all of the Schneider comps on dvd.  I've been meaning to watch them again.  So much goodness.

We need a new one!  It could just be a youtube playlist, I suppose.

Still regret not getting more (read: all) of them from Goodhelmet. 

As far as a new one, it'd be fun to have a bonus DVD in the next Way of the Blade with some of the newer, legally accessible matches. 

• Like 2

Man as a companion to the tape trading talk, how many other people used to do the two VCR deal to copy tapes they rented? I had a huge collection because of it. I would rent all the wrestling tapes at every rental store in my city. Id even get rides to out of town rental places to see if they had any tapes I didn't have.

At a certain point VHS tapes had some sort of copy protection on them. Where the copy you made would be all scrambled like a PPV you didn't buy in the old days. But of course I still found a way around that. As if they thought I wouldn't test out ways around it. Two pieces of electrical tape over the copy protection square usually did the trick.

I may have taken it too far. Because I eventually got a job at a Blockbuster. So I would go to stores and buy new VHS tapes. Copy them. Then take them to work and use the shrink wrap machine to reseal them and return them. I had an addiction for sure.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I never traded but I did buy some comp tapes from @Tabeand some DVDs from Goodhelmet.  I also bought a good chunk of somebody's Joshi tapes when they switched over to DVD, but I can't for the life of me remember who.  I still have most of them in a bin under our guest bed.  I also still have the bootleg copies of some of the DVDVR best of the 80s sets that I torrented (Sorry, Will!).

Also if you aren't down with KrisPLettuce yet, you really should be.  IYKYK

• Like 1