DVDVR Message Board

6/1/2022- AEW DYNAMITE!

DEAN

One of the greatest wrestlers of all time, Hiroshi Tanahashi is in my top ten. Tana is having a great year in the ring as well, his match with Tomohiro Ishii at Wrestle Dontaku was ***** and my NJPW MOTY.

• Like 2

I did like that MJF went shooty, but it wasn't WCW-shooty. He didn't say/imply anything about how wrestling wasn't real, TK decided who wins, etc. he kept it to card placement, ratings, screen time, and money. Things that AEW talks about all the time anyway, especially on social media. So even within his "shooting" he kept it within the wrestling world, which I appreciated and is the type of worked shoot I have no issue with. Just don't destroy the 4th wall, that's all I ask.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Awesome show.

Fun six man opener. Pop for Punk's showdown with Billy on the apron, his final RAW opponent 8 years ago. Laughed out loud at the Gunn Club messing up the city and Schiavone just goes "....the dumbass boys." Punk/Tanahashi is a really good big time main event for Forbidden Door, I dig it. I was originally thinking Punk/Okada as champ vs champ and Moxley/Tanahashi been building forever, but I like this too.

MJF promo was entertaining. Good intensity and delivery. Very Loose Cannon esque.  Welcome back Miro, sad to see Johnny Elite just basically squash fodder as I think he could still be more than that. Nice Chick Hearn with Excalibur's "the refrigerator is shut and the jello is jiggling" as Miro got the win. 

the 10 man tag was epic, loved it. Big pops for the faces' entrances. Loved Matt's four corners of Deletion but Hikuleo was too big for it!, Jungle Boy's over the ropes rana always rules. Nice subtle bit of Christian pushing Matt away from Jungle Boy in the postmatch. 

Already miss Smart Mark being w/ Jade but at least he got to have a segment later on, solid squash for Wardlow. Women's tag was good stuff, always glad to see Ruby pick up a win. Really liked the countering/struggle sequence of Britt trying Lockjaw into pin reversals with Hayter swinging the momentum back on the Lockjaw attempt, great move. 

Hell of a main event, too exciting for Excalibur to even squeeze in the Rampage plugs. Macaulay Culkin appearance! We got blood and violence, excellent work here. Garcia shined as usual and Moxley always kills it. More post-match excitement and of course we have so much to look forward to now. Cool looking LIVE rampage, a match announced for next week, Road Rager! the week after that, and of course Blood and Guts! with Forbidden Door in the mix. Should be an incredible month for AEW. 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 6

God, was MJF's promo therapeutic for me. I can't imagine what it must be like for him to consistently knock it out of the park and watch as viewer-repelling, self indulgent indy-tastic goofs like Kyle O Fucking Reilly and Adam Cole get shoved right past you because they're the shiny new toys. God was that beautiful. What a promo. What an angle. Oh yeah, fuck Bobby Fish too. Anyway, MJF punched his ticket tonight. 

MIRO! That was awesome. I'm 100% certain it was the plan for two ex wwe guys to have the match right after MJF blew his stack about ex WWE guys. "Would you treat me better if I was an ex WWE guy, Tony?" No, MJF. To get the full treatment from Tony you'd have to be an ex wwe guy that was the centerpiece of a show that you beat into a reformat. Right, Baybay? Wait, where was I? Oh yeah. Miro is the shit. I like Johnny Elite in this role, too. He's "slightly more interesting, much more likeable Tony Nese" and he's perfect as that. Excited to have the Redeemer back.

CM Punk is about 30% the athlete he thinks he is. Multiple botches during that match. At least it makes business sense for him to be on top. The Acclaimed + the Ass Boys are very many dollar signs. Just incredibly, endlessly entertaining. 

Eddie taking a beating so Ortiz could jump Jericho ruled. Regal getting to say "Blood and Guts" ruled. 

I hope Athena's presence helps spark the women's division a bit. They could sure use it. Stokely is always dope. 

I am completely unsurprised that The Jacksons got to remind us that even though JE are the champions, they're the tag team that matters. I know, I know, Christian storyline. Whatever. 

Wardlow is so fucking cool. I hope he powerbombs Sterling into the ninth circle of hell.

That women's match was chock full of bad intentions. I liked it a lot. I feel like those four, Rosa, Jade, Statlander, Conti, Anna Jay and Athena are the makings of a really fucking good women's division. Holy shit did Ruby need that win. Of course Britt gets her heat back. The shadow she casts over the rest of the division is one of AEW's elephants in the room.

The main event was really good. I still feel like Mox is in a bad habit of giving opponents too much. As good as Garcia is, he hasn't been presented at that level. Fun finish.

Lots of interesting stuff on the horizon. The continued focus on UE and the upcoming "Elite Civil War" is baffling. You don't know when Kenny is gonna be back. Why allow your product to suffer waiting for him? Forbidden Door will be fun, though.

Garcia and Mox ruled. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, just drew said:

CM Punk is about 30% the athlete he thinks he is. Multiple botches during that match. At least it makes business sense for him to be on top. 

If I recall correctly, he flubbed the spring from the apron in a previous tag match too. Love the guy, but it might be time to retire that one.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I did like that MJF went shooty, but it wasn't WCW-shooty. He didn't say/imply anything about how wrestling wasn't real, TK decided who wins, etc. he kept it to card placement, ratings, screen time, and money. Things that AEW talks about all the time anyway, especially on social media. So even within his "shooting" he kept it within the wrestling world, which I appreciated and is the type of worked shoot I have no issue with. Just don't destroy the 4th wall, that's all I ask.

He said he had something to say as Max, implying MJF is a character he plays. He talked about star ratings and said no one likes him because he doesn't do headdrops. Even using the term "mark" is telling people it's all fake. "We're basically stealing from you because we made you think this is legit."

28 minutes ago, just drew said:

God, was MJF's promo therapeutic for me. I can't imagine what it must be like for him to consistently knock it out of the park and watch as viewer-repelling, self indulgent indy-tastic goofs like Kyle O Fucking Reilly and Adam Cole get shoved right past you because they're the shiny new toys. God was that beautiful. What a promo. What an angle. Oh yeah, fuck Bobby Fish too. Anyway, MJF punched his ticket tonight.

Meanwhile, some people work themselves into a shoot.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 5

Real fun episode that did indeed feel like a season opener. Totally and completely marked out for MIRO. May heaven burn... The MJeff promo, well it worked and he's over. Besides the awesome main the best match is probably the women's tag which had a super-workrate joshi air. Brutal moves and they really pushed the pace. The 10 man was a quintessential AEW/PWG spotfest. Me, I'll take the grit and viciousness of the main. Garcia wrestled like the fucking Terminator, just would not give up and raised the level of stiffness with the strikes and tightness of the holds as he went. The figure four in the PnP was especially cool, with him cruelly snapping into each twist of it before a tree fall backward, emphasizing all the points of pain in the move. At the same time he was getting dumped on the stairs and eating huge strikes while Moxley bled and bled. Give me more. BLOOD AND GUTS, BLOOD AND GUUUUUUUUUTS

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Only if Tony takes off the polo and is secretly gassed to the gills

But yeah

Reminded me of the scene from kung fu hustle where chow is trying to pick out one of the residents to fight.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Fucking GREAT show 

First off...what beautiful set up. The stage/ramp made the show look like a PPV. Didn't miss the stage having a tron at all.

Opener was fun. Promo was fantastic. And TANAHASHI. Electric start to the show.

The MJF was brilliant. I'm convinced that this is all an elaborate work. Was it smart to do this angle with network execs in the house? I think it was. Interested to see where this goes.

MIRO!!! So glad to have him back.

10 man was loads of good stuff.

BLOOD AND GUTS!!!!

Wardlow looked like a million bucks.

Ladies tag was good...although I think Toni should've won the fall.

Holy shit Mox/Red Death was the bees knees. Beautiful violence.

This show really felt what the Raw after Mania used to feel like. Big returns and debuts and new builds to big matches.

AMAZING 2 hours of pro wres.

• Like 10

I liked the mjf promo and thought it was a good way to pivot from the way last weekend went down. The “ex-wwe” line set up his next 6 months without having anything to do with wardlow and very minimal management stuff. Obviously hope tk doesn’t become an onscreen character, nor do I want him doing this same promo every few weeks. But it was a pivot from the weekend and now a whole lineup of ex wwe guys can kick his ass. Good stuff. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

With White Claw, not fake tan, I hope. 

That would be a Hi-C Orange truck.

I like to imagine that Tony Khan is bitter that Johnny Elite didn’t sign with AEW initially and now fed him to be Samoa Joe and then Miro.

For all the talk of the new setup/ramp etc, did no-one else notice quite a few guys tripping midway to the ring? Eddie almost had a Titus O'Neil moment as he ran to attack Jericho in the main event. 

"Ooh, ooh! He's home alone!" William regal is a gift!

"Scissor me Daddy Ass" - finally a wrestling t-shirt I can proudly wear in my day to day life!

Miro is back, Treat Reznor is warming up his vocal chords, "your god is dead and no-one cares!"

I thought Britt's Pirates of the Caribbean t-shirt last week was more egregious than Max Caster's rap. Disappointing to see t-shirts supporting convicted abusers after Punk's good t-shirt game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2