DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2022

RIPPA

After it came up in my playlist the other day, I've decided I don't like the FTR theme. It's like choosing to listen to DDP's theme song instead of Smells Like Teen Spirit. There's never a situation where you wouldn't be better off just listening to "The Chase".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking of theme songs, since Tony was able to acquire cult of personality and the Hardyz WWE theme, do we think there's any chance down the line that the Gunn Brothers could hit the ring to "Ass Man"? Like maybe when they inevitability split with the Acclaimed, they come out to it to prove they don't need an MC and a hype man to pop the crowd. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle

Cult of Personality is licensed and the Hardy’s theme is public domain sports highlight music. Ass Man was written in house, presumably by Jim Johnson. If Tony wants it he’ll have to wait until Hunter and Stephanie are ready to sell him the tape library and such.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Speaking of theme songs, since Tony was able to acquire cult of personality and the Hardyz WWE theme, do we think there's any chance down the line that the Gunn Brothers could hit the ring to "Ass Man"? Like maybe when they inevitability split with the Acclaimed, they come out to it to prove they don't need an MC and a hype man to pop the crowd. 

Did you miss this a few months ago?

• Like 7

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

Did you miss this a few months ago?

At some point they HAVE to have a Hookhausen-Ass Boys feud just so we can hear this a few times.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 1:10 AM, kafkonia said:

After it came up in my playlist the other day, I've decided I don't like the FTR theme. It's like choosing to listen to DDP's theme song instead of Smells Like Teen Spirit. There's never a situation where you wouldn't be better off just listening to "The Chase".

I think that while The Chase is obviously a slicker, more professional piece of music, it has a kind of hazy, laid back vibe that doesn't make it that a good fit as a wrestling entrance theme, while the (tag team) Midnight Express version liberally borrows every melodic element of it and turns into something cruder but way more in your face and exciting for the purpose it's being used for

The FTR version being a knockoff of the knockoff while adding a chorus back in makes it sort of, you know, fine from my pov

Edited by Firebreaker Chip
  • Like 5

I WILLED THIS INTO EXISTENCE!  From May 28th:

Johnny Elite ACCEPTS ISIAH KASSIDY'S CHALLENGE!  Marq Quin is like the Japanese indie guy who wrestles as an old man.  Isiah Kassidy gives Elite the business!  CHEATING!  Elite does some things as we wait for Quin to TRANSITION the match to SPECTACULAR!  Elite CRUSHES PAUL TURNER AND THE CROWD POPS LIKE MONKEYS!  ISIAH AND MARQ MAKE WITH THE LOWBLOW AND THE MODIFIED DUDLEY DEATH DROP!  Elite kicks out at two!  Johnny Elite is Lance Von Hardy.  They should definitely bring him in as the cousin from the West Coast,

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/17/2022 at 8:10 PM, kafkonia said:

If FTR's theme existed on it's own, out of the wrestling bubble, I'd fully agree. Giorgio Moroder's 'The Chase' might be my favorite song of all time, but how do you not get excited hearing that FTR theme every time they come out? That's a beautiful ripoff. Agree on the DDP Teen Spirit rip, and it added to my 90s hatred of his whole trashy presentation. Tho, I softened on Page some time between that wild WWF debut and him saving all these fucked up vets. All that said, I don't see myself getting down to most wrestling themes outside of the bubble. There's also that weird thing of hearing one of my all time favorite songs ('Where is My Mind') played weekly and kinda wishing it wasn't playing weekly. I don't want to complain because it's a great song, but Orange needed/needs a less on the nose 'cool' song and something more of 'guilty pleasure' or something ironically cool like his character and his previous Indie scene entrance theme 'Jane' by Jefferson Starship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

If FTR's theme existed on it's own, out of the wrestling bubble, I'd fully agree. Giorgio Moroder's 'The Chase' might be my favorite song of all time, but how do you not get excited hearing that FTR theme every time they come out? That's a beautiful ripoff. Agree on the DDP Teen Spirit rip, and it added to my 90s hatred of his whole trashy presentation. Tho, I softened on Page some time between that wild WWF debut and him saving all these fucked up vets. All that said, I don't see myself getting down to most wrestling themes outside of the bubble. There's also that weird thing of hearing one of my all time favorite songs ('Where is My Mind') played weekly and kinda wishing it wasn't playing weekly. I don't want to complain because it's a great song, but Orange needed/needs a less on the nose 'cool' song and something more of 'guilty pleasure' or something ironically cool like his character and his previous Indie scene entrance theme 'Jane' by Jefferson Starship. 

what bugged me about DDP's Smells Like Teen Spirit knock-off is that he was far too old at the time to be using that. Raven's Alive knock-off was perfectly fine -as it fit his character and age... but DDP was 45 at least... it would have made more sense for him to be coming out to a knock-off of Rock You Like A Hurricane. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Orange needed/needs a less on the nose 'cool' song and something more of 'guilty pleasure' or something ironically cool like his character and his previous Indie scene entrance theme 'Jane' by Jefferson Starship. 

They tried to license Jane, but could not get in touch with Starship from what I read at the time. I really liked his in-house theme

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

what bugged me about DDP's Smells Like Teen Spirit knock-off is that he was far too old at the time to be using that. Raven's Alive knock-off was perfectly fine -as it fit his character and age... but DDP was 45 at least... it would have made more sense for him to be coming out to a knock-off of Rock You Like A Hurricane. 

Raven's knock off was "Come As You Are", not "Alive".  

Only WCW Pearl Jam knock off was Jericho's "Evenflow" knockoff.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

They tried to license Jane, but could not get in touch with Starship from what I read at the time. I really liked his in-house theme

That's the word, but I don't think 'Jane' was necessary. It just needed to be something comparably lame/cool. Many, many options. For the OC character, 'Where Is My Mind' is far too on the nose of something that is actually cool. But I withdraw anything resembling a complaint in this matter.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

so what you’re saying is that Orange Cassidy needs an Ashlee Simpson song for his theme

but, seriously, nothing about the Pixies or Where Is My Mind? screams out “cool” to me.

• Like 2