DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/18/2022

The Natural

I still don't understand WTF they're doing by trying to position Sammy as a face and having Scorp go right back to being a heel. That is just fucking dumb, TNA level bullshit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, porksweats said:

I'm extremely excited for every match on this card, however I swear to god the men's joker had better not be Gargano. That's an instant turn-off. He would arguably be better than a sex pest being there (your scrulls and what have you) but still I don't want it.

I'll have you know the Kree are much worse when it comes to harassment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I still don't understand WTF they're doing by trying to position Sammy as a face and having Scorp go right back to being a heel. That is just fucking dumb, TNA level bullshit.

TK loves Sammy and Tay. Said something to the effect of "I am so happy for them, I don't know why the audience isn't" in an interview not too long ago.

But yeah, read the room Tony. You just got out of an angle that was bombing because Cody and Brandi didn't want to be heels, and now you have the same angle bombing because you don't want Sammy and Tay to be heels even when they're playing the part well. Of course the common thread of "why is the Scorp/Page/Lambert trio being positioned so highly on this loaded roster" is an issue as well. Lambert can be a cheap heat magnet, but Scorp and Page are bland heels, and only Scorp showed any competency leaning into the babyface reactions they were accidentally getting.

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

TK loves Sammy and Tay. Said something to the effect of "I am so happy for them, I don't know why the audience isn't" in an interview not too long ago.

But yeah, read the room Tony. You just got out of an angle that was bombing because Cody and Brandi didn't want to be heels, and now you have the same angle bombing because you don't want Sammy and Tay to be heels even when they're playing the part well. Of course the common thread of "why is the Scorp/Page/Lambert trio being positioned so highly on this loaded roster" is an issue as well. Lambert can be a cheap heat magnet, but Scorp and Page are bland heels, and only Scorp showed any competency leaning into the babyface reactions they were accidentally getting.

No argument here, except one thing: Page has had at least 2-3 pretty fire promos recently. My opinion of him is much higher than it was a few months ago when I was writing him off as bland myself.

• Like 1

Athena Palmer fans might be disappointed tonight. Maki Itoh simps might be delighted.

Therefore, my predictions: Men's Joker is a returning Miro, alongside CJ Perry. The women's Joker is Maki Itoh, whose pop is so loud it destroys the building.

Stoked for the Work Horsemen! Does Regal issue a challenge for Blood n Guts? Great looking card tonight and looking forward to the potential debuts/returns. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the (ugh, why are they doing another) 10 lashes segment.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Oooooo!  Who is the new guy!  Oh, it's Johnny Elite.  He's fine.  He's a poor man's Christian, which is pretty good, actually. Oh no, if they are bringing in former IMPACT! champions,  is Austin Aries far away?!?!  Then Alberto Del Rio!  Actually, when they get to Moose and Josh Alexander, that would be good.  Johnny Elite looks pretty good.  He is over in Houston.  The barrell roll sell of the shoulderblock was pretty beautiful.  JOE WINS!  I'm assuming Johnny Elite enters the Matt Sydel Zone.  That was good.  AWESOME! KONOSUKE TAKESHITA!  Takeshita is soooo awesome.  They should have saved Takeshita for the Joker spot.  He was born to wrestle in arenas.  Death Valley Driver during the picture in picture.  Stupid picture in picture.  Konosuke Takeshita gets in his stuff and it all looks awesome.  They go completely King's Road!  Like 1997 King's Road.  This match is fucking awesome.  GREAT FUCKING NEARFALL!  ANOTHER GREAT FUCKING NEARFALL~!  EVEREST MOTHERFUCKING GERMAN SUPLEX~~!   BUCKSHOT LARIAT!  GTS!  What a great fucking match.  Konosuke Takeshita needs to main event in the US for 15 years.  THE WORKHORSEMEN!  I'm guessing they don;t give him as much as Hangman gave Takesoup.  Shane Swerve Strickland is awesome.  Anthony Henry leans waaay into a kick in the corner.  Yeah, put the belts on these guys.  Or put the belts on these guys.  Either way,  keep these two feuding.  Oh no, not a three way!  MJF gets molten heat in Houston.  That looks like a fun place to be this evening.  Will the security team lean into Wardlow's punches like last week?  MJF is buff. Shawn Spears is buff.  SETTLE DOWN, HOLLYWOOD DEANETICO!  MJF RIPS OFF HIS SHIRT!  GREATEST SEGMENT EVER!  If Shawn Spears takes off his shirt, there would be three buff dudes without shirts.  Yeah, I don't know what's going on.  Buff dudes whipping other buff dudes will definitely appeal to a certain demographic.  Anyway.  Let's move on.  HOW ABOUT THOSE BADDIES!  Ooo!  Rippongi Vice vs FTR?  I could dig that.  Rey Fenix versus Samoa Joe would be fun but it's gotta be Joe versus Kyle O'Riley!  Oooooo, I dig that they are sticking to their individual styles,  GREAT FUCKING SHIRYU TOPE!  O'Riley working on Rey's injured arm is deep psychology.  Will Rey's brother throw in the towel?  Fenix sells the arm like a champ.  Rey Fenix is fucking great.  (Ew gross!  What did Rey Fenix pull out of his nose?)  This match is fucking great.  Great finish.  GREAT!  I assume Joe and Kyle beat each other to death next week. They set up JAS vs Team Eddie Kingston.  It's noit the REAL Blackpool Combat Club without Wheeler Yuta.   Oooo!  Lady Joker is..... MAKI ITO!   She is the best wrestler in Tokyo Joshi Pro, but she isn't doing her Bret Hart imitation tonight like she has been doing recently in Japan.  That was goofy and fun and forgettable.  Serena Deeb SHOOTS on the WWE!  She needs Smart Mark Sterling!  They are giving 5 minutes to the main event. AH!  Jeff Hardy is now Sting, so he can only go so long.   Oh man, Adam Cole versus Joe is going to be strange.  A great hour and a half of wrestling and the last half hour was kind of a throw away.  But what a GREAT first hour and a half!  STING!  Darby Allin made Bobby Fish look like a slaughterer of men by taking that kick like a psycho. AEW RULES THE WORLD!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I'm firmly, firmly on the Takeshita train. That dude is awesome. Itll be interesting to see if he ends up as an ROH headliner or if he sticks around here.

And I'm coming around on Itoh too - I was really impressed how quickly the crowd got into her.

I definitely didn't have Johnny Nitro on the bingo card but I guess you could do worse. Really thought Gargano or Cesaro here.

Would anyone else not be opposed to Swerve/Lee winning? You can go to Team Taz after them, but those guys are clicking big for me right now

The second hour was super rushed, but to be honest, the main didn't need to go that long anyway and I loved the beat down afterward. No disrespect, and ive defended his signing here, but I doubt anyone was clamoring for that to go 18 mins (plus Jeff deserved a week off anyway after going wild with Darby). The whole thing, especially with Sting's involvement, felt very much like a '97 Nitro, down to Tony yelling "Were out out of time!" Very nostalgic.

Edit: a quick criticism: every promo segment except JAS vs BCC/LAX was dog shit. I wanted to get into Serena's but I just could not will it to happen. Sydal/Martin's as well as Stat/Velvet's should not have aired as is.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Maki Itoh Mother Fuckers 

We're really going to get Cole vs O'Reilly at Double or Nothing aren't we?

Yes to the former and fuck the latter. Of all the finals...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Needed to be Johnny Dynamite to go with a past name in Johnny Nitro.

I lost my shit for the guy on Twitter who said he should be Johnny All.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4