DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/18/2022

The Natural

FShhIYEXwAAiuhL?format=jpg&name=medium

It's Wednesday and you know that means.

Liking the lineup minus Adam Cole vs. Jeff Hardy. Figure that ends in interference leading Cole to the final of the Owen Hart Men's Cup and Young Bucks vs. Hardy Boyz at AEW Double or Nothing 2022.

Hoping the Men's Joker is Cesaro. If not Cesaro, Miro. I don't want it to be Johnny Gargano. With Gargano, it depends on his opponent. Gargano vs. Andrade at NXT TakeOver Philadelphia is one of the best matches in WWE history, gave it ***** as I did Gargano/Ciampa from NXT TakeOver New Orleans but then it went into laws of diminishing returns. I hated the Garagano/Cole trilogy from NXT, 2019.

Looking forward to the two segments as Wardlow has to take ten lashes like Cody did in order to get to MJF and Chris Jericho/William Regal at it with their respective groups.

Enjoy y'all!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

• The Natural changed the title to Dynamite - 5/18/2022

Drink some booze!  Light the fuse!

Hey, it's Wild Card Wednesday, where we find out who the Jokers in the Hart tournament are.  THREE Men's tournament matches and ONE Women's!  At this rate, the Women's tournament will wrap up in 2024.

HANGMIN PAGE vs Konosuke Takeshita: This should be really good!  Looking forward to JR absolutely murdering Takeshita's name.  Speaking of, I just watched The Jumping Bomb Angels vs Glamour Girls from the 88 Rumble and Vince & Jesse don't even try to use the Angels' names until making a half hearted attempt at their first names maybe halfway through the match.  That was certainly a choice.

Owen Tournament: Adam Cole vs Jeff Hardy.  It still kinda ridiculous that Jeff got to beat Darby last week when old guys should really be elevating the next generation.  I, too, am tired of Adam Cole's cool heel act and Jeff is really broken down.  This will be the match I don't care about but surprises me by being good.

Owen Tournament: Joe vs The Joker.  This is a weird spot.  Do you debut a new guy and job him to Joe?  Do you have a guy make a return (MIRO) and job him to Joe?  Or do you beat the ROH TV champion, who is in an active program?

Owen Tournament, token ladies' match: Britt Baker vs The Joker.  Britt can lose to a debuting person here because she can then complain about the conspiracy against her.  Again, it's kind of shit that they have this tournament going on and are front loading all these men's matches while keeping to the "one women's match per Dynamite" edict.

Owen Tournament: Kylo vs Rey.  This should be really good!

Wardlow gets the lashes!  Will he be a sympathetic babyface like Cody was (that was an excellent angle!) or will they go in another direction?  I'm predicting they have him no sell it.

Jericho and Regal Town Hall!  I mean, it's Regal, so it'll be good.  But holy fuck enough with trying figure out a way to get Jericho on TV every week.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well, you could always have Satnam Singh or Jay Lethal be the Joker in Joe's match and have one of them pick up a win over Joe thanks to outside fuckery.  Joe would get his 50/50 win back in a future RoH title defense against Singh / Lethal and could also fuck one of them out of their semi-final win against the winner of Fenix / O'Reilly. 

That would probably be the safest thing to do, so I do not expect it to happen.

If you bring back Miro and put him against Joe, the only logical booking is Double Count-Out or Double DQ ruling for a No Contest and then end with a Pier 6 brawl to the backstage area.  The winner of Fenix / O'Reilly would automatically advance.

I'd like to see Yuka Sakazaki as Britt's Joker opponent only if Maki Itoh runs in and clubs Yuka with a kendo stick to assist Britt in a cheat win.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

The joker situations are interesting, because both of them are walking into situations where it doesn’t seem to make booking sense for them to win. Obviously it doesn’t seem to make sense for Joe to lose for the reasons given above. But they’ve also been building Britt vs. Toni and Ruby for a while now, and they’re going to job Britt out in the 1st round and not run those matches in the tournament? That doesn’t add up.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Well, you could always have Satnam Singh or Jay Lethal be the Joker in Joe's match and have one of them pick up a win over Joe thanks to outside fuckery.  Joe would get his 50/50 win back in a future RoH title defense against Singh / Lethal and could also fuck one of them out of their semi-final win against the winner of Fenix / O'Reilly. 

That would probably be the safest thing to do, so I do not expect it to happen.

If this were 1999 WCW, they would book this so that the final is Cole-O'Reilly and then KOR lays down for Cole. But since this is tournament with Owen Hart's name on it, I can't see that. More like they'll have Cole expecting KOR to lay down but it turns into a real battle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Drink some booze!  Light the fuse!

Thank you for reminding me to make some ice balls for scotch later.

And there is going to be some fucking awesome wrestling tonight.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, JLowe said:

If this were 1999 WCW, they would book this so that the final is Cole-O'Reilly and then KOR lays down for Cole. But since this is tournament with Owen Hart's name on it, I can't see that. More like they'll have Cole expecting KOR to lay down but it turns into a real battle.

Man, I like you, but this was the shit that killed the last iteration of nXt. I can't imagine TK being that oblivious....

I'm really really hoping that Maki Itoh is the Harley Quinn.

Her, or Lulu Pencil.

Here's hoping Hangman makes a star out of young Konosuke! He's so good, and there are so many good to great natch-ups for him on the AEW roster!

I really enjoyed Takeshita's matches with Danny Limelight (where has he been recently?) and Jay Lethal last time around. I want to see him fight Garcia, Wheeler, Starks, Sammy, Dante, Serpentico, Angelico... and eventually Bryan. It's actually hard (impossible?) to think of anyone on AEW's roster I don't wanna watch fight Takeshita.

Can't wait to see who the male Joker is. Count me among those hoping it's not Gargano. I feel like there are enough NXT guys who everyone kind of identifies as such on the roster already. I'd prefer for him to bounce around for a year or two before joining AEW. 

I'll be stoked if it's Claudio, though. I personally identify him as an ROH guy. And I wanna see him and Joe beat the hell out of one another.

• Like 2

Be interesting to see the running order. do you start with a bang with Samoa Joe vs. Joker with AEW's time management issues or leave that to main event? Thing with surprises is trying to deliver on expectations as imagination run wild otherwise you wind up disappointing.

• Like 1

Just now, The Natural said:

Be interesting to see the running order. do you start with a bang with Samoa Joe vs. Joker with AEW's time management issues or leave that to main event? Thing with surprises is trying to deliver on expectations as imagination run wild otherwise you wind up disappointing.

PfTtA&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

If CM Punk is there, they always start with CM Punk for the crossover viewers from BBT. So they'll do that Hangman/Takeshita match first.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, just drew said:

Man, I like you, but this was the shit that killed the last iteration of nXt. I can't imagine TK being that oblivious....

The whole tournament was an opportunity to build up some of the younger talent and that didn't happen, so...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I really enjoyed Takeshita's matches with Danny Limelight (where has he been recently?) and Jay Lethal last time around. 

Limelight signed a long-term deal with MLW because they gave him a flexible schedule that enabled him to work indies and go to Japan.  When he works MLW, he rolls with Konnan's neo-LAX stable, 5150, with Hernandez, Slice Boogie, and Julius Smokes.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Thank you for reminding me to make some ice balls for scotch later.

And there is going to be some fucking awesome wrestling tonight.

AWESOME.  I'm grilling tonight so I might be six beers in when the show starts.  Glasses are chilling and I got some Lagunitas IPA and Sierra Nevada in the fridge.

• Like 4

Joker guesses:

Men's: Jay White. Just have a feeling we get a Jay White vs Adam Cole final that leads us into Undisputed Elite vs Bullet Club at Forbidden Door.

Women's: Mickie James. A big win for Britt against a known women's star. A good surprise that would be out of left field but doesn't need to win or look strong because she isn't sticking around.

• Like 5

I'm extremely excited for every match on this card, however I swear to god the men's joker had better not be Gargano. That's an instant turn-off. He would arguably be better than a sex pest being there (your scrulls and what have you) but still I don't want it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Joker guesses:

Men's: Jay White. Just have a feeling we get a Jay White vs Adam Cole final that leads us into Undisputed Elite vs Bullet Club at Forbidden Door.

Women's: Mickie James. A big win for Britt against a known women's star. A good surprise that would be out of left field but doesn't need to win or look strong because she isn't sticking around.

OK, I like that guess for the men.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Joker guesses:

It is pity you do not have the book.  That is flawlessly logical.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They’re in Houston Texas. Sammy Guevara’s home city, so I’m guessing he gets announced for Rampage. Will be interesting to hear how his hometown fans respond to him, after mega wheel MJF’s super babyface pops in Long Island. Imagine if he’s booed.