DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/11/2022

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Men’s joker will most likely be Miro, or someone from New Japan. Claudio and Gargano are less likely, I just don’t see it happening. The internet’s other prediction is Singh, and I want to believe TK has learned from his mistakes and won’t do that. Interference, sure. But as the joker? No way.

Lethal and Dutt explicitly said last night that Singh wasn't the joker. I mean, they could be lying, but I doubt it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Lethal and Dutt explicitly said last night that Singh wasn't the joker. I mean, they could be lying, but I doubt it.

As much as I'd love to see Platinum Satnam as the Joker, you are right. I doubt they'd tell us he isn't the Joker just to have him be it.

• Like 1

Johnny Gargano can be quite good at times when he's in with the right person.  His NXT title match against Andrade was great, one of WWE's best matches in a very long time.

But I don't ever want to see him against Adam Cole again. 

Cole's heel shtick wore thin with me years ago, and I'm not looking forward to him winning this tournament.  

And I'm going to need Hayter/Storm again at some point soon, hopefully for one of the Women's belts.

Edited by Marcel
  • Like 3

Am I wrong in thinking that Hobbs missed his run-in at the end of Starks/Jungle? Don’t recall him coming out with Starks, and yet he was magically there at the end. Thought I saw the front row looking off to the right (away from the entrance ramp) during the distaction spot, like there was a commotion in that direction, but then Starks just kind of hit his finish and that was it. And then there’s shirtless Hobbs celebrating.

35 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Johnny Gargano can be quite good at times when he's in with the right person.  His NXT title match against Andrade was great, one of WWE's best matches in a very long time.

But I don't ever want to see him against Adam Cole again. 

Cole's heel shtick wore thin with me years ago, and I'm not looking forward to him winning this tournament.  

And I'm going to need Hayter/Storm again at some point soon, hopefully for one of the Women's belts.

Yeah, Gargano/Andrade at NXT TakeOver Philadelphia is one of the best WWE matches ever. Gave it *****. Ditto for Gargano/Ciampa from NXT TakeOver: New Orleans. The other Gargano/Ciampa matches were laws of diminishing returns. Hated the Cole/Gargano trilogy and Cole/Ciampa. Cole winning the Owen would fucking suck.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Count me as one of the people who find MJF's schtick to be a little forced and unnatural, but damn was he ON last night!  That's the most natural I've heard him come off.  He did an amazing job of tip-toeing the line between pandering face and heel.  He didn't try to get boos, but he didn't totally change his act to do it.  

I am also decidedly NOT an Adam Cole fan, but I cannot deny that he's over as hell.  He's one of those guys where I'm never going to seek out an Adam Cole match, but I find myself consistently surprised by how much I like his matches.  I also don't personally want to see him win the Owen, but I can also see that it's not a stupid booking decision if he does.

Edited by Log
Added the Cole stuff.
  • Like 4

Just now, The Natural said:

Hoping it's Cesaro for the Joker. If not him, Miro back.

Miro/Joe would be badass.  I don't think Joe has a ton of time left in the ring (not based on anything, just my own speculation) so I'd love to see TK burn through as many dream matches for him while we can.

• Like 1

Rewatching this morning:  So Dax Harwood is really good.  His selling of his ribs makes that match.  The insidious inclusion of the Shawn Michaels concept in the Hart Tournament was brought up in Dax Harwood's promos leading up to this and further entrenches Dax being a student of the game and being way into the history of wrestling.  Harwood selling the rib and hitting such a beautiful German Suplex is all about the greatness of Dax.  I like how Cole lets Dax selling tell the story of the match, by just quietly bringing the offense and not playing to the crowd until the call for the Sweet Chin Music.  Harwood's Piledriver makes me want to see Harwood versus Josh Alexander.  The elation of the crowd when Harwood procures the Sharpshooter is only equaled by its deflation when they realize he isn't going to win.  That match seemed like it was like 80% Dax Harwood.  Man, I love how Long Island is a bastion of evil.  What a great Wrestling Bizarro World. Silver should have wrestled as a heel and tried to cheat to win.  Long Island is like it was taken over by the nWo.  I'm trying to remember how Steve Austin wrestled in Canada when he was feuding with Bret Hart in 1997.  I'm guessing like Punk wrestles in the Little Canada of Long Island.  I love how AEW is all a tribute to Bret Hart these days.  JR's response to the Buckshot Lariat is perfect.  CM Punk is channeling Ric Flair during the Terry Funk I Quit match build up with the handshake stuff.  CM Punk might be shooting to transition into a new Ric Flair as a wrestler so over, he can wrestle any way he wants to and still keep the crowd behind him.   Smart Mark Sterling is so good at pro wrestling.  I love that he kicks Danhausen into position in the corner WHILE getting Tony Nese over as the overlooked free agent.  He is so going to take a thousand suplexes in their match at the buy in.  A great part about the contract signing is the little kids chanting "MJF! MJF!"  Long Island is such a great wrestling town.  Being a Dallas Cowboy fan, I totally understand throwing all your support being total degenerates.  MJF being the Rock with the crowd is hilarious and so subversive.  Man, let's hear it for whatever indie supplied the security because they, to a man, leaned into getting punched in the face by Wardlow.  Taz protests that the ref should stop JB's "open hand strikes."  Uhhhhh, Taz.  Those are the ONLY LEGAL strikes in a wrestling match.  I just noticed that during picture in picture, Ricky Starks hits a Scott Steiner Running German Suplex- which we all completely freaked out the first time we ever saw Steiner do it.  JB's submission finisher isn't as over as Harwood's Sharpshooter but it functioned exactly like it did in the opening match.  If it doesn't put Starks out, JB isn't winning but the crowd wasn't as elated or deflated.  Oh man, I just realized that the JAS/Blackpool Combat Club stuff is that we will get a heated up match between Wheeler Yuta and Daniel Garcia which will rule the fucking world.  I liked the Hayter/Storm match more on rewatching it.  I notice they got the good shot of the HIDEOUS suplex on the floor for the replay and they missed it in picture in picture.  Man, Hayter fucking lays it in while killing time in PinP.  I hope this is like the tag team death match where someone posts the whole match and I can see Hayter beat the crud out of Storm.  Yeah, this match is fucking great.  The crowd gets into it when they start beating the hell out of each other.  This match is so hard edge.  Yeah, they need to wrestle each other a thousand times.  I forgot that Sammy and Tay showed up.  They are such superstars.  Man, there are some GREAT non-life threatening parts to the Hardy/Allin match.  JR makes a great call on the crazy ass bump but Schiavonne wins the night as he totally freaks out.  Yeah, that was a great episode of Dynamite.  

• Like 7

What an excellent episode.

After what has already been an exhausting week.  I got promoted at work.  Which means I’m daycaring a crew full of rookies save for two (that thankfully know more than me).

A customer collapsed in the lobby on Day 2 of being in charge. I had to call 911 which apparently alerts management in the entire district.  

Had an exchange of words at work with a truck driver that thought it would be awesome to chant “Let’s Go Brandon” at me.   I’m on fucking fire.

So last night I also had zero interest in watching wrestling or getting any sleep (apparently).  

Then I saw what you all were saying about AEW this week.

So after calling in to work (obviously).  I sat down with my coffee and a joint and I watched the shit out of this show this morning.  What timing.  It really turned me around.  I feel shitloads better.  

I estimate if I’m marking out over how effective the spilt screen was during the MJF/Wardlow angle.  I’m on a good ride.  

The post match mega mixer of plot threads that ran after the JB/Starks match was just masterful.  

Jericho was The Oligarchs Yacht of douche canoes.  Both in the voice over and promo.  Chefs kiss to the AEW Galaxy.  Whoever said Hager growth spurted but didn’t buy new clothes wins the day.  But mostly because I read that post before I saw him.  I actually pointed when I lol’d.  

“How much is he paying?”  Classic Heenan.

Darbys super sell of the loss was a blink and you’ll miss it moment.  Uncle Dax and his rib was also top shelf.

I’d like to reassure everyone concerned over Cole winning the tournament.  It’s the OWEN HART tournament.  A heel isn’t winning this one.  I’d say a heel isn’t winning any of them.  Assuming it’s an annual thing.

Hayter/Storm was seemless with the rest of the show.  I would like to see them do this again.  Toni is a Titan.  

Barry Horowitz.  It’s been too long.

Thanks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

See the people who post “If you know the backstory of the player who CM Punk wore the jersey of, it adds so much depth to the angle”?

You do realise that you can just tell us the backstory, right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, EVA said:

Danhausen mostly loses singles matches. He has jobbed to so many shindy dudes. His act is not dependent on winning in the slightest. Danhausen is fine.

Just to add to this a bit... you can't book every character the same. Danhausen is not Superman. He's better off being super vulnerable in the ring. You can tell more stories with him that way. Like if you stop booking Rey Mysterio like an underdog people will stop treating him like an underdog. If you book Danhausen like John Cena or Roman Reigns people will get bored of that real quick. And he doesn't need it. Let him win some / lose some. You never know if he's going to be able to win. Keeps it interesting.

Plus you can have the curses start playing into shit. He starts winning matches against cursed dudes he could never beat otherwise, etc. Not every featured performer has to win all of the time.

Dax is fucking good. I want an Arn TV Title run out of him so bad with the TNT Title.

Darby's ladder spot was fucking nuts. Great visual. I also loved how Jeff took the Lowpei. That's how everyone should be taking them. Darby was way more protected that way and it looked like Jeff ate some impact.

• Like 2

Tony Nese could kick Orange Cassidy in the head and finish him off that quickly in a match tomorrow, and after the match Tony would still be a good wrestler who’s featured mostly on YouTube and OC would continue to move a ton of merch and be featured much more prominently. Part of Danahusen’s brilliance is that he’s created a bulletproof gimmick. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Tony Nese could kick Orange Cassidy in the head and finish him off that quickly in a match tomorrow, and after the match Tony would still be a good wrestler who’s featured mostly on YouTube and OC would continue to move a ton of merch and be featured much more prominently. Part of Danahusen’s brilliance is that he’s created a bulletproof gimmick. 

Danhausen can wrestle an put together a good match. Toru Yano can shoot and be tough as shit.

That isn't the Yano or the Danhausen anyone wants. They want the sublime master thief who cheats to win for the LOLZ, and they want the delusional schmendrick who wanders around mumbling and putting curses on dudes. Both are untouchable in their own way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the Danhausen match where he first did the Tequila dance spot, he was planning it out backstage with his opponent (Pretty Boy Smooth), and he was asked what he wanted to do in the match, and he suggested the Pee Wee Herman dance on the Bar (it was a no-ring show). Ok, we’ll do that, what else? Nothing, says Danhausen. Just that. The entire rest of the match is you beating me up. And then you win.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

Danhausen can wrestle an put together a good match. Toru Yano can shoot and be tough as shit.

That isn't the Yano or the Danhausen anyone wants. They want the sublime master thief who cheats to win for the LOLZ, and they want the delusional schmendrick who wanders around mumbling and putting curses on dudes. Both are untouchable in their own way.

If Yano isn't tying someone's boot laces to a rail to get a countout victory then what are we even doing here?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EVA said:

Am I wrong in thinking that Hobbs missed his run-in at the end of Starks/Jungle? Don’t recall him coming out with Starks, and yet he was magically there at the end. Thought I saw the front row looking off to the right (away from the entrance ramp) during the distaction spot, like there was a commotion in that direction, but then Starks just kind of hit his finish and that was it. And then there’s shirtless Hobbs celebrating.

I'm wondering if he was supposed to run out during that roll up attempt (probably through the crowd since it would be past the referee) as that's the only tangible spot I see in the closing stretch for him to interject. Starks kicks out of the roll up and like half heartedly pushes JB in the back into the Rochambeau - but by that point the referee was already sliding in the ring, so idk if it even could've been that spot. HOWEVER, you do see some of the crowd look to the right side as if Hobbs (or someone) is making their way through the crowd. 

My guess is Hobbs was supposed to be in there to hit a boot or something to break up the pinfall while Swerve had the ref distracted?

• Like 1