DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 5/6/2022

3 hours ago, southofheavy said:

Eddie ain't married, so is that a metaphor that's goin' over my head? I mean, Chris Jericho is gonna die either way, so it's neither here nor there.

Eddie's delivery was so good, he manifested a wife of 20 years out of thin air. Whether or not Eddie is married for real, this television version of Eddie is I guess.

• Like 5

I want Jericho and the rest of the sports entertainers to "blind" eddie with hair removal cream leading to a cameo by Eddie's wife and mother leading him to the ring with a blindfold on.

I was waiting for Riho to grab the ropes or hook the tights on that last role up

This Dan Lambert, Sky, Tay Conto, Sammi storyline feels like a mess

• Like 3

Rewatching this morning.  It's amazing how much stiffer and better AEW women's wrestling is now that Toni Storm is here.  That Riho/Yuka Sakazaki was even better the second time.  I was thinking how much more frenetic this match would have been in Japan.  I was boring my wife by explaining that Riho wrestled this match American style, that there would have been six more moves for every one they did.  It is cool that Riho set up Sakazaki's spots and let them breathe and get a response.  After the toprope facebuster spot, they go straight Joshi to the finish.  That match was a great hybrid.  The best part is that Yuka fucking laying it in and doing a Minoru Suzuki smile after taking a stiff shot from Riho.  Speaking of putting together a great match, Jay Lethal is fucking awesome putting together matches and Konosuke Takeshita is fucking GREAT taking Lethal's offense.  One of the best parts of the match is Takeshita's babyface comeback during the picture in picture.  Lethal works the knee and Takeshita sells it all the way through.  I love that Takeshita goes totally King's Road after the toprope Lariat as he hits a Brainbuster as a counter to a Figure Four attempt into a Misawa forearm into a Hansen Lariat into a Jumbo Jumping Knee.  That's what you do if you are a Japanese Professional and you are in the main event.  That match was fucking great.  Wish they didn't do all the stuff afterward, but it was still a great match.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I was boring my wife 

You have no idea what a service the board has been for my relationship. I can just purge all my thoughts here and not have to watch the light leave my wife’s eyes when I start to tell her about wrestling or horror movies. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

10 hours ago, southofheavy said:

Eddie ain't married, so is that a metaphor that's goin' over my head? I mean, Chris Jericho is gonna die either way, so it's neither here nor there.

I remember a promo Kingston cut once about referencing beating someone for his son. After that line, another wrestler walked up to him and said he didn't know he had a kid, and asked his name. Kingstons response was, and I quote:

"Mr. Met Motherfucker, I don't have a kid!"

The important part isn't if it's true. It's that in the moment, you believe it.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, elizium said:

They would have been better having him cut off at the chest and have Sonjay screaming about how he's such a monster he won't even fit on screen.

Loooool I’m all for shooting Singh like Al from Police Squad

• Like 2

Important stuff

• I liked how they at least had clipped versions of the entrances for the first match.
  • It's interesting that Britt ate another pinfall so soon after she lost the title.
  • I'm not sure if the wrestlers were over with a tired crowd so much as Baltimore wanted to chant that Pittsburgh sucked?
  • Nese actually got me on the bait and switch to Danhausen.
  • Hook vs Drake was great and I would like to see them go 10 on some indy show. Great way to accomplish things in two minutes.
  • Riho and Yuka match up very well. Lots of cool things, including submissions. Riho's leg selling was all over the place though. Do it, don't do it, have it come and go as it makes sense. This wasn't any of that.
  • Very happy to see Takeshita built up with footage from Elevation. They almost never do that.
  • Also happy to see they listened to Akiyama about the Jumping Knee call AND that he thanked them for it.
  • Some slick stuff from both guys there, including the Lethal Injection dodge and one of Jay's submission entrances.
  • Post match had a bunch of stuff that more or less worked and set up numerous things.
  • I think they can't really do the Kingston thing because he's over as a face in part because of things like his interviews on podcasts and his article that he wrote. A huge part of Eddie's appeal is how genuine he is. He is his character. He's always on because it's basically who he is. He's the last guy you want to make stuff up with.
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 7

as Terry Funk used today, "I may not be able to convince you that wrestling is real but I'm gonna convince you that I'm real."  I think of that quote a lot whenever I see or hear Eddie Kingston.  Of course I know better than to think wrestling is real, but during an Eddie Kingston promo, I think Eddie Kingston thinks it's real.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Also happy to see they listened to Akiyama about the Jumping Knee call AND that he thanked them for it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

as Terry Funk used today, "I may not be able to convince you that wrestling is real but I'm gonna convince you that I'm real."  I think of that quote a lot whenever I see or hear Eddie Kingston.  Of course I know better than to think wrestling is real, but during an Eddie Kingston promo, I think Eddie Kingston thinks it's real.

He's quoting Johnny Valentine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ka-to said:

I thought that it was Riho chokeslamming Yuka at first. Yuka took the back bump. Those kind of moves easily confuse me.

Same, there a couple of moves that look the exact same but are called different things and hurt whoever is taking the move even if it doesn’t look that way. I will say that AEW and the announcers do a good job of talking about how moves like that hurt both people, and the idea of sacrificing yourself to hurt your opponent more. 

Really enjoyed everything about that hour of television.

I love that JD Drake is professional enough to jump into Hook’s suplay to give them more air and distance, but also enough of a cranky southern veteran that he’s going to make sure the young snot nosed punk will sell this fucking chop because it’s going to hurt.

I want more of Takeshita, he’s amazing. I want more of Yuka, and I wish she had gone over.

My main issue with the Owen Hart tournament is that it’s not really building or putting anyone over who isn’t already upper-midcard to main eventer. Hell, 3 of the 7 women so far are former champions (out of 5 total champions in history). What says Owen Hart more than using the tournament to elevate someone who is ready to break out?

Singh’s choke dribble move is a nice variation on the usual giant wrestler formula.

Edited by JLowe
Correcting Japanese names
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, zendragon said:

A woman not to be triffled with for damn sure!

Someone, who will probably stab Jericho in the face before this one is all said and done! Fuck it, Daddy Magic will probably get one, as well!

It's probably someone who is just like Trent's? mom? Or is she Chuckie's mom?