DVDVR Message Board

UFC 274: Oliveira vs. Gaethje (05/07/2022) - Phoenix, AZ (Footprint Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Meltzer:

• Esparza vs. Namajunas scoring saw Eric Colon give Esparza rounds two and four so had 48-47 Namajunas, Brad Frank gave rounds one, two and four to Esparza and had her up 48-47 and Rick Winter gave Esparza one through four and had her up 49-46. Nothing happened in this fight until the fourth round. I had 49-48 for Esparza but judges are strongly told not to score 10-10, even in rounds that literally nothing happened in. Esparza got two takedowns in four and Namajunas landed one good punch. In five, Namajunas won the found. Four is probably Esparza, five is definitely Namajunas and the other three could have been scored either way. Namajunas gave away the title and her corner sabotaged her title. Media scores were 56 percent for Esparza 38 percent Namajunas and six percent even.
  • In Ovince Saint Preux vs. Shogun Rua, Eric Colon had OSP winning one and three, Junichiro Kamijo had OSP only winning three and Winter had OSP winning all three rounds. I had OSP winning two and three but almost nothing happened in the first two rounds and OSP clearly won three. Rare to have two really bad fights on the main card. Media scores were 88 percent for OSP.
  • In Randy Brown vs. Khaos Williams, Kamijo had rounds two and three for Brown Chis Lee and two and three for Brown and Winter had only round two for Brown. 89 percent of media scores went to Brown.
  • Sad 1

Judges being discouraged from scoring 10-10 or 10-8 is an absolute farce. I think the biggest problem in MMA judging is the lack of more 10-10s and 10-8s when they are applicable.

If there are marginal 10-9s there should be marginal 10-8 scores as well.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Judges being discouraged from scoring 10-10 or 10-8 is an absolute farce. I think the biggest problem in MMA judging is the lack of more 10-10s and 10-8s when they are applicable.

If there are marginal 10-9s there should be marginal 10-8 scores as well.

Agreed.

• Thanks 1

i would rather not see a ton of 10-10 scores, but the first round of Rose-Carla absolutely should have been one. when it's warranted, you gotta score them.

10-8s should be WAY more prevalent than they are. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i would rather not see a ton of 10-10 scores, but the first round of Rose-Carla absolutely should have been one. when it's warranted, you gotta score them.

10-8s should be WAY more prevalent than they are. 

This is the problem. Often I'm watching lots of rounds in MMA where there is very little engagement, neither opponent is pushing the pace or really trying to engage or pursue the fight or really throwing anything of note. These are easy 10-10 rounds. The score criteria is so vague and subjective already. I see no problem if more decisions are scored draws because opponents fail to engage or try to win the fight. 

Frankly, I would rather see that than ridiculous score cards where one judge has it 10-27 for one fighter and the other 10-27 for another. I would rather see tons of 10-10 scores or draw cards than that.

2 hours ago, AA484 said:

My guess is they don't want 10-10s because of the amount of draws it could lead to if the fighters split the remaining two rounds.

I don't see this as a bad thing.