DVDVR Message Board

UFC 274: Oliveira vs. Gaethje (05/07/2022) - Phoenix, AZ (Footprint Center)

Elsalvajeloco

What a dramatic fight between Oliveira and Gaethje with both knocking down and hurting each other. Oliveira by sub in R1. Such a shame he lost the UFC Lightweight Championship on the scale, first time in UFC history.

4 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Khabib/Do Bronx what could have been.

I think Makhachev vs. Oliveira is as close as we'll ever get and that's actually the fight I'd want to see next. It's not the biggest money fight for the belt, but stylistically I think it's intriguing.

I don't want to jinx anything, but I feel like Conor vs. Charles Oliveira is a gimme fight for Charles at this point, and therefore I'm not terribly interested in it. If McGregor can keep himself in order for a few minutes, let him and Chandler fight at 170 first.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Charles Oliveira vs. Michael Chandler 2, for the UFC Lightweight Championship?

Probably Islam instead.

Chandler could get Dariush. Or he may have actually snuck his way into the Connor sweepstakes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

What a weird night. Carla wins in a clunker. Charley Olives wins and isn't the champ.

Khabib/Do Bronx what could have been.

What a fight that would be.

Weird main card with a real stinker in Rose/Carla, one of the best KTFO ever by Chandler to Ferguson with a back and forth first rounder in Oliveira/Gaethje.

1 minute ago, jaedmc said:

Probably Islam instead.

Chandler could get Dariush. Or he may have actually snuck his way into the Connor sweepstakes.

I forgot Islam. Yeah, Oliveira/Islam. If not, Oliveira/Chandler 2 as nobody has put Ferguson out cold even though Tony's lost in his last four. Ferguson once won 12 fights in a row in the deepest weight class.

Edited by The Natural

Just now, Teflon Turtle said:

I think Makhachev vs. Oliveira is as close as we'll ever get and that's actually the fight I'd want to see next. It's not the biggest money fight for the belt, but stylistically I think it's intriguing.

I don't want to jinx anything, but I feel like Conor vs. Charles Oliveira is a gimme fight for Charles at this point, and therefore I'm not terribly interested in it. If McGregor can keep himself in order for a few minutes, let him and Chandler fight at 170 first.

1 minute ago, jaedmc said:

Probably Islam instead.

I'm pretty sure Chandler talked himself into the fight with Conor. Do Bronx can fight Makhachev. I mean with Islam...you would think he would need a signature win. However, RDA is fighting Fiziev in July on the International Fight Week PPV. Dariush is still healing from his ankle injury. 

On 5/5/2022 at 7:05 AM, The Natural said:

Looking forward to this one. The main event especially Charles Oliveira vs. Justin Gaethje. Lightweight's been the best and deepest weight class in MMA for over a decade. Oliveira has the UFC record for most submission wins with 15 and finishes at 18. Out of his 32 wins, 29 by finish. What a record. Fancy Oliveira by submission in round 3. Thug Rose by decision getting revenge on her defeat to Esparza.

I'm uncomfortable with Michael Chandler vs. Tony Ferguson with Ferguson losing three straight and taking one of the worst beatings ever to Gaethje. Michael Chandler is one of the hardest hitters in the division. Has anyone had a tougher first four fights in the UFC than Chandler? Hooker, Oliveira, Gaethje and now Ferguson. Chandler by TKO in R2. I'd rather not see Cerrone, Lauzon and Shogun fight again. Cerrone's lost his last 6 fights, one turned to a no contest. Rua by TKO in R2 and same for Lauzon.

FSNOY5HXIAIcJBn?format=jpg&name=900x900

Least I got one right.

Edited by The Natural

Is Oliveira the Josh Allen of MMA?  I don't think I've ever seen someone with so many outrageous flaws as a young fighter turn into a dominant champ.  He had all the physical gifts you could want, but it was all the mental stuff that kind of comes naturally to dominant fighters that was just plain missing for about a decade.  People don't really become tough, durable, stone cold killers 10 years into their careers no matter how many physical tools they have.  I have been skeptical about his entire title run, because I couldn't get past his history of folding like a house of cards anytime he faced any adversity, but I have to give him credit.  He's the champion of a division of killers and his last 4 wins solidified him as an all-time great lightweight.  Consider my words eaten.

• Like 2

finished watching the card this morning:

WOW at Chandler's highlight reel KO of Ferguson. scary how hard he went down and how long he was out. this is the kind of loss that signifies the end. Especially at 38, it's time for Tony to ride off.

congrats to Carla for becoming the champ, but that fight was utter dogshit. i couldn't believe how confident Rose was after the final bell and while the score were being read. and the total confusion when she realized she didn't win. i can only guess her thought process was "Carla wants the takedown, but i blocked all of her attempts, so i win". baffling gameplan.

Oliveira is that dude. i love watching him fight. he's still the champ in my eyes. his last couple fights have shown that he can take a beating and come back stronger, but he will always be very hittable, so i fear that once the KOs start coming, they won't stop. whether it's a year from now or 5 years from now, Oliveira's decline will be steep.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, twiztor said:

finished watching the card this morning:

WOW at Chandler's highlight reel KO of Ferguson. scary how hard he went down and how long he was out. this is the kind of loss that signifies the end. Especially at 38, it's time for Tony to ride off.

congrats to Carla for becoming the champ, but that fight was utter dogshit. i couldn't believe how confident Rose was after the final bell and while the score were being read. and the total confusion when she realized she didn't win. i can only guess her thought process was "Carla wants the takedown, but i blocked all of her attempts, so i win". baffling gameplan.

Oliveira is that dude. i love watching him fight. he's still the champ in my eyes. his last couple fights have shown that he can take a beating and come back stronger, but he will always be very hittable, so i fear that once the KOs start coming, they won't stop. whether it's a year from now or 5 years from now, Oliveira's decline will be steep.

How's the hangover? ?.

With you on all you say.

Surprised Esparza/Namajunas didn't send me to sleep in the early hours of Sunday morning. Shit fight, shit cornering. One of the worst MMA fights ever. Fucking dreadful.

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 1

With how back and forth Oliveira/Chandler I was, I'd like to see it run back as both can be hurt but both are finishers, it's who can hurt the other and finish the deal. I think it'll be Oliveira/Islam next.

15 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Listened to some of the postfight presser and Rose said "They were booing Carla."

I can't.

Thug Rose is one of my favourite fighters for her upset wins over Joanna and Zhang, especially Joanna and her talks on mental health but she/her corner really shit the Octagon last night. Ditto for her interviews/press conference afterwards.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

How's the hangover? ?.

no hangover. i learned many years ago to drink water as well as the booze.

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Listened to some of the postfight presser and Rose said "They were booing Carla."

I can't.

i hope Rose watches the fight and sees that the crowd was very obviously booing the lack of action. Otherwise, she has severe dissociation issues.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, twiztor said:

no hangover. i learned many years ago to drink water as well as the booze.

i hope Rose watches the fight and sees that the crowd was very obviously booing the lack of action. Otherwise, she has severe dissociation issues.

Fighters get into the habit of falling for the snake charming routine if their opponents don't fight at their preferred pace and make rudimental mistakes. I dunno how much Rose has followed Carla on this run she has made, but she didn't do it by hook or crook. Esparza doesn't make dumb mistakes, and she's also evolved since the last they fought. Rose spent way too much time waiting for something to manifest itself instead of creating opportunities for herself.

• Like 4