DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/4/2022

12 hours ago, DEAN said:

Rewatching this morning, Jon Moxley is SO fucking good in that match.  So intense.  Great hot tag.  We will look back at the Blackpool Combat Club like I look back on the Four Horsemen in 1986.

EDIT:  Wardlow is Goldberg if Goldberg knew how to wrestle.  

REWATCH EDIT 2:  Dante Martin should be in the Best of the Super Juniors.  That match was like a budding Dragon Lee/Hiromu Takahashi series.

I don’t have the energy to rewatch but I will say that BCC is getting stuck in a bit of a formulaic match except the Moxley wildcard.

Agreed about Wardlow, I guess he’s been in the business for a while but lately he’s doing eye-popping big man athletic shit like Dante is doing eye-popping skinny guy athletic shit.

speaking of Dante, he should’ve gone over in that match, even though he still got a good rub in the loss. It’s time for him to have a push and Fenix has other shit (and I mean shit literally as I hate that angle) going on. Definitely needs to be in a super juniors tournament.

12 hours ago, Matt D said:

I thought Matt Hardy was an amazing corner man in the Jeff vs Fish match. A huge part of the success of that match was Matt orchestrating the crowd and keeping them focused.

Noticed the same thing. I had low expectations for that match but I forgot that Jeff Hardy will bump and sell like a freak.

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

If Fenix is continuing in the tournament, can we get him some Blue Blazer gear?

Thought the exact same thing after seeing Hardy’s shirt and thinking about FTR’s tribute, someone needs to do Blue Blazer. Too bad Dante lost.

Morrissey was pretty impressive, Wardlow gave him a lot of offense. That power bomb was damned impressive, that’s why it only took one Skeeavone.  MJF-Wardlow is the hottest feud they have by far.

Let Christian secretly cheat to help JB win the FTW title. Send Hook. Let Hook have that title. Let Ricky Starks move on to bigger and better things.

Bowens needs to heal so The Acclaimed can finally get their push. They’re one of about 8 tag teams right now more interesting than JE, YB, rED...

Rest of the show was ok to fucking awful. Yeah, Pillman is terrible and the Julia Black thing makes no damn sense but maybe, just maybe, House of Black isn’t adding much to the shows either...

Adam Cole is so boring and wanting to be a tweener that he even sucked as a heel guest announcer.

I personally didn’t think the women’s main event was all that but I also lost a lot of interest in this episode after Hangman’s weird semi-heel turn and that interminable VB-HOB segment. Deeb-Rosa was a good confrontation, that was a fight I wanted to see.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Is this the AEW show or the ROH show now? Does Tony Khan even know?

I think he’s clearly using at least some of his AEW TV time to try and sell ROH to his audience...and more so to a network.

• Like 1

I'd be fine if Punk beats Hangman right now. At this point, I feel like Hangman has had his time and he doesn't "need" his title run to continue. By May he will have held the title for over six months. I don't see a Punk win here as majorly setting him back.  

The only guy I feel strongly really needs the belt right now and needs a long reign is MJF, who needs like a long Ric Flair-like reign. I'm just curious how you get there between Wardlow getting retribution, Punk beating Hangman, et al.

I think he’s clearly using at least some of his AEW TV time to try and sell ROH to his audience...and more so to a network.

I think all he's succeeded in is making AEW look more cluttered and inconsistent.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

extra post about House of Black vs the Blondes from last night:

Is the upside of "these babyfaces are so brave that they're calling out dudes who will kick their ass" enough to make up for the downside of "these babyfaces are dumbasses who are calling out dudes who will kick the shit out of them"

Also the brawling part of their exchange was noticeably slow, like they were fighting in a movie.

They've gotten their ass kicked a bunch of times, the fans don't even like the Blondes that much, and they've done nothing to show that the results will be different.  THey're basically dumbasses getting what they deserve.

I am feeling more and more than TK is overextended in booking and the cracks are showing now.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

The bolded is the biggest thing in my opinion. Page is more Bret Hart or Austin than Hulk Hogan. He's not an "attraction" per se. He's the fighting everyman that people get behind. He should wrestle more than he does now on shows and just in general do more stuff on shows. More things should revolve around him on a week to week basis. He shouldn't be the superman champ who's super above the rest of the main eventers, he should be in the fray more.

At least with the Cole feud, you could involve the Dark Order and the Bucks/ReD and have a 6-man. The rest of his feuds so far have been against lone wolves (Danielson was at the time). The nice thing about the Dante-Page match was it was Page wanting to be a fighting champion and give young guys the shots they don’t always get. More of that would’ve worked for a while in my opinion, and then eventually you have someone interfere and there’s your PPV angle.

2 minutes ago, alstein said:

They've gotten their ass kicked a bunch of times, the fans don't even like the Blondes that much, and they've done nothing to show that the results will be different.  THey're basically dumbasses getting what they deserve.

I am feeling more and more than TK is overextended in booking and the cracks are showing now.

not sure what the social dynamics were like at TK's high school but the Blondes are essentially being booked as the meatheads who show up with letterman jackets who also do the stupidest bullshit to prevent themselves from being starters on the teams that they're lettering in?

ROH is sort of Tony's UWF and he could really use Freddie Prinze actually getting his stuff together so that he could pawn off like 20 guys on Freddie.

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

not sure what the social dynamics were like at TK's high school but the Blondes are essentially being booked as the meatheads who show up with letterman jackets who also do the stupidest bullshit to prevent themselves from being starters on the teams that they're lettering in?

ROH is sort of Tony's UWF and he could really use Freddie Prinze actually getting his stuff together so that he could pawn off like 20 guys on Freddie.

How is that helping or benefitting Varsity Blonds? 

Yet another Pillmanito post:

Just realized the perfect man to mentor a team of young varsity athletes is available, and he has history with Brian Pillman.

Also he needs money to pay for boat loans.

Considering some of the stuff that Pillman Jr does on social media, maybe Kevin Sullivan needs to become his surrogate dad so that Pillmanito can learn the art of kayfabing the police.

• Like 2

I just want to say that many of y’all are ok with a dude who dresses, acts, and talks like he’s in some shitty black metal band, magically appears in the ring, and spits a mystical evil black mist that turns people evil but have a problem with Danhausen?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I just want to say that many of y’all are ok with a dude who dresses, acts, and talks like he’s in some shitty black metal band, magically appears in the ring, and spits a mystical evil black mist that turns people evil but have a problem with Danhausen?

So... Danhausen vs House of Black then?

OC and HOOK backing him up would be a sweet midcard trios feud. House of Black doing all their 'scary shit' only for these guys to totally blow them off... Yeah book it!

Black vs HOOK could be huge if built the right way.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I have a problem with both. Don’t put that on me! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

I kinda wanna see Danhausen try (and fail) to join the BCC

I want to see him try and "fail," but in a different way.

They bring him in for a tryout just to goof on him, laughing and making snarky comments when he enters the training center, and then a switch flips and Danhausen beats his training partner half to death in the most graphic way allowed on TBS.  Danhausen emerges from the training room covered in his opponent's blood.  The BCC looks on in fear, horror, and revulsion.  What Danhausen did is even too much for them, as impossible as that sounds.  Danhausen is shocked at what happened.  All agree to never mention it again and the angle is dropped.  Danhausen goes back to quirky fun Danhausen the following week and nobody ever talks about it.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

He seems to have deleted a lot of the early "Danhausen is a serial killer gimmick" videos. But a couple of them are still up:

• Like 1

Watching that Hangman promo back wouldn’t be opposed to him going broken-Hangman WMX7. Pissed off at being overlooked and having finally tasted success, absolutely desperate to keep at any cost. They need a little more moodyness on the show & push back to what his promo turned “masturbatory tributes”.

• Like 1

I think it’s just something Kip is doing to amuse himself while creative has nothing for him. It has never once been mentioned, let alone put over, on commentary. Not even when he was fairly prominently on screen during Punk’s walk and talk last week.

• Like 3

What I would like to see is the BCC-HOB angle a lot of people are mentioning, but I want it to be Regal and BCC talking about how all of them are individually very talented, athletic, violent fighters who are caught up in some gimmick that is holding them back, slowly leading to the end of HoB as dark magick warriors.

Man, how do they deal with next week in Long Island? It's one thing to have Punk go out there and mock a hockey team but you don't want a crowd booing Wardlow at this point of the story. It's such a key moment in time for his push. They should have just kept him off the show. Had it so MJF didn't want him there to ruin his time or something.

I wonder what sort of payoffs you have for him in 2022. I can't see him fitting into the title picture but keeping him this hot for long is going to be hard as he's already run through some big guys. I don't think he's getting the World Title this year. You can give him the TNT title but then it sort of disappears relative to how they use it now. You don't want him trading it back and forth. He doesn't need it as much as other people do and he probably wouldn't build it to bigger than it is.

I'm not sure what I'd do medium term, maybe book him like Andre at MSG during the Backlund/Hogan runs where he's teaming with a bunch of guys as part of their feuds as a big attraction, or maybe just give him the FTW belt and have him treat it a little like a Brass Knuckles champion type thing, like he was babyface Brody in Houston or Southwest.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Man, how do they deal with next week in Long Island? It's one thing to have Punk go out there and mock a hockey team but you don't want a crowd booing Wardlow at this point of the story. It's such a key moment in time for his push. They should have just kept him off the show. Had it so MJF didn't want him there to ruin his time or something.

I wonder what sort of payoffs you have for him in 2022. I can't see him fitting into the title picture but keeping him this hot for long is going to be hard as he's already run through some big guys. I don't think he's getting the World Title this year. You can give him the TNT title but then it sort of disappears relative to how they use it now. You don't want him trading it back and forth. He doesn't need it as much as other people do and he probably wouldn't build it to bigger than it is.

I'm not sure what I'd do medium term, maybe book him like Andre at MSG during the Backlund/Hogan runs where he's teaming with a bunch of guys as part of their feuds as a big attraction, or maybe just give him the FTW belt and have him treat it a little like a Brass Knuckles champion type thing, like he was babyface Brody in Houston or Southwest.

Have him win to get released from his MJF contract. Have him sign an AEW contract, only to learn that Mark Sterling secretly inserted a clause that Wardlow is not allow to compete for a title belt in AEW. Wardlow says "fine" and challenges Samoa Joe for the ROH TV title, and wins. He then interferes in MJF's AEW world title match, costing MJF his title win.

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

AEW is rotten with factions for Wardlow to run through. They could spend a year solely having him go through JAS to get to Jericho on PPV, the UE to get to Cole, etc. 

Wardlow vs Garcia would be really good actually.

• Like 5