DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/4/2022

Rewatching this morning, Jon Moxley is SO fucking good in that match.  So intense.  Great hot tag.  We will look back at the Blackpool Combat Club like I look back on the Four Horsemen in 1986.

EDIT:  Wardlow is Goldberg if Goldberg knew how to wrestle.  

REWATCH EDIT 2:  Dante Martin should be in the Best of the Super Juniors.  That match was like a budding Dragon Lee/Hiromu Takahashi series.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I just figure the talking point of the episode should be a Fenix vs. Dante match that nailed what it was supposed to do.

I believe you. There's just no proof because 65% of the match happened during a commercial for TV viewers. We picked up about where he hit the Reverse Spanish Fly. So we missed out on the whole flow of the beginning stuff. Hard to really sing the praises of something we only saw roughly half of.

• Like 2

Dear, sweet Tony.  If you are reading this, please, for the love of all that is good, please never give Pillman a live mic ever again.  If you really love us, you'll do this one small thing.  Please.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Yeah, sure bad (but kinda hilarious) promo aside, writing off Pillman Jr. is the 2022 equivalent to the 2020-21 writing off of Austin Gunn.  It's foolish, Don't do it!  

Austin Gunn at least has the benefit of having his dad around. Unfortunately Pillmanito doesn’t have that going for him

Not sure if he could be any type of heel but with all the second generation guys who have alive dads, there’s a lane for a second generation guy who is kind of a heel going after other second gen guys because their dads are alive and his isn’t.

Obviously the real story is sympathetic but feeling sorry for a guy really only goes so far?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Austin Gunn at least has the benefit of having his dad around. Unfortunately Pillmanito doesn’t have that going for him

Not sure if he could be any type of heel but with all the second generation guys who have alive dads, there’s a lane for a second generation guy who is kind of a heel going after other second gen guys because their dads are alive and his isn’t.

Obviously the real story is sympathetic but feeling sorry for a guy really only goes so far?

He was heel in MLW and it was good.  TK needs to bring in Teddy Hart to tag with him!

• Haha 1

In wrestling, every bland babyface is one heel turn away from maybe breaking out. I firmly believe that there was an amazing heel run inside of Tom Zenk that never made it out. That said, Pillman's instincts are just so off.

• Like 3

I thought Mercedes/Deonna was a good strong match. Work was really tight and precise in a way that even the best AEW women’s matches often aren’t. The crowd was dead, but I think that was more on them being thrown out cold rather than an indictment against their work. The crowd didn’t even seem to know what their signature offense was.

• Like 7

After watching Purrazzo/Martinez match with the disappontment of Purrazzo not winning dissapating, Mercedes Martinez got the Toni Storm memo and really laid it in.  TK should really move heaven and earth to sign Purrazzo,  She is so good.  She is a new Tully Blanchard.  The heat was weird but the crowd didn't turn on it- which is more than I expected.  Wish they could build up to a rematch where they could give it time.  Watch the Purrazzo/Roxanne Perez title match and how the submissions where allowed to play out.  It made it so much better.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, DEAN said:

He was heel in MLW and it was good.  TK needs to bring in Teddy Hart to tag with him!

I don’t think they can roll Teddy out in the Hannibal Lector getup that they used with Sabu in 1993/94.

Someone who’s a better promo than Pillman Jr could do a promo centered around “you all want to feel better about yourselves by giving me a job because you loved my dad and you’re sad that your industry killed him but where were you really when I needed you?”

There is sort of a real world dynamic that people probably don’t want to hear about for people who grew up in a bad spot that are now lashing out at the world.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I thought Matt Hardy was an amazing corner man in the Jeff vs Fish match. A huge part of the success of that match was Matt orchestrating the crowd and keeping them focused.

This is a great shout, and I thought that match clearly needed the help. Felt like the two guys were on different wave lengths, with Hardy wanting to do a more genera face in peril segment and Fish going for a more back and forth affair at times. Jeff also seemingly didn’t know how to take some of Fish’s stuff. There were some decent elements there, but it just didn’t click. Doesn’t help that we still have the completely broken face heel dynamic with the Undisputed lot, which continues to hurt there matches a good deal for me due to the heels doing heelish shit not getting heat.

The BCC match was a BCC match. By that I mean it was pretty damned great, but it is time to aim that momentum at someone. It feels like they need to introduce trios titles and feud them with House of Black or PAC/Lucha Bros, just… something.

Controversial opinion time: Jungle Boy should win the FTW championship from Starks, and Starks and Hobbs should win the tag belts from JE. The long term direction should be FTR coming for the tag belts, and I think that works better with heel champs, and JE’s title reign also has suffered by being stuck with the Undisputed boys for too long.

The Wardlow angle is perfect. MJF forcing him to come out with the security force is a great way to basically do a Goldberg entrance without just straight ripping it off, and this 2022 version of the Goldberg push is basically perfect. The only problem with Wardlow is “You basically have to make him World Champion by the end of the year because he’s just clearly the guy. Morrisey did well for himself, and I admire the work to improve his game, and the positive the steps he’s taken in the last couple years. Oh, and that match is 100% going to be Wardlow wrestling MJF while Wardlow is handcuffed, and Wardlow breaking the handcuffs through sheer force mid match and powerbombing MJF to oblivion.

We are past the point that Jericho’s guys beating up on Kingston’s guys has gotten a bit old. They need reserves, and I basically thinking Kingston, Santana, an Ortiz shouldn’t be back on tv until they have them or at least have them pick a few guys off.

The Julia Hart angle felt more to remind Dynamite only watchers this story is a thing, but this story has gone so long that people that watch everything just want to get to the point. Pillman just doesn’t get it. I would kind of like Julia to stick with PAC, Pentagon, and Fenix now, as it does make thematic sense: Julia is feeling darker and darker, but Pentagon and PAC have had similar run ins and are still there own people. It’d be a weird fit a tiny bit, but I could see it being interesting.

Dante vs. Fenix was super fun, even if it’s not my usual type of match. I have a soft spot for both I think: Fenix has proven he’s not just a cool high flier but can work underdog babyface super well, and I view Dante similarly, a guy who is clearly has great instincts for timing and playing to the crowd at this stage to go with his absurd aerial stuff. Give me Fenix/Claudio or give me death.

Main was good! Biggest problem was that I think Deanna overshadowed Mercedes. I’ve heard talking points that they were in a bad spot, and I disagree. I think the match being the main event had the crowd a little more focused then your regular women’s kid card match. Not my favorite match of the night, but I enjoyed it a good deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

It seemed like you could hear a pin drop during Martinez's entrance, which is a fucking shame. 

It’s usually the same for Serena, too.

The quicker we get to Toni Storm versus Thunder Rosa and Toni winning the belt, the better off we’ll all be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Rewatching this morning, Jon Moxley is SO fucking good in that match.  So intense.  Great hot tag.  We will look back at the Blackpool Combat Club like I look back on the Four Horsemen in 1986.

EDIT:  Wardlow is Goldberg if Goldberg knew how to wrestle.  

REWATCH EDIT 2:  Dante Martin should be in the Best of the Super Juniors.  That match was like a budding Dragon Lee/Hiromu Takahashi series.

I meant to say the same thing about Moxley. I know so many others are putting in some amazing work, but Moxley is probably my WOTY at the moment. He's so fucking good. I've brought this up so many times before, but what I love most about wrestling is when it turns into a fucking fight, and no one does that like Moxley. That whole bit with Blade was so damn good. Hell, the stuff with Butcher was just as good. Moxley just brings fire every time he goes out there and I love it. I love every minute of that guy doing his thing. He's just such a wild dude.

• Like 4

I loved the subtlety of Adam Cole's cold stare at the Hardys post-match.  Was it hate for the Hardys, or disappointment for the Bucks not superkick partying over Matt and Jeff?  Haters enjoy hating, Adam Cole's character work is fantastic!  Fish-Hardy was fun.  I dig broken down Jeff.  There's a sense of reality concerning an aging flyer that I really appreciate. I love @DEAN's BCC '22 v 4H '86.  The Regal promo (unabridged) was monumental and the highlight of the week for me. Some of the highest end wrestling TV I've ever seen. Hobbs/Starks/Swerve/Hobbs are all pure joy!  So excited to see Christian crush Jungle Jack and enter one of his greatest feuds. Luchasaurus' silly growl is a bit embarrassing.  Wardy rules and maybe Big Dub turned a few set critics upon his current act.  I love Schiavone (probably unknowingly) burying Morrissey right after with 'it only took one power bomb!' Post match was Wardy in a wonderful videogame.  Ruby is not only getting better in the ring, she's becoming a solid promo.  Hangman heeling was completely fine by me. A salty attitude and harsh opinions is no Russorific heel turn worth being sour about. He'll end up being cheered more for being a Bad Ass anyway. Dutt/Lethal/Singh are so fun. I didn't know Dutt could talk, and Jay's gotten so much more comfortable, and good! Love 'em! Jericho-Santana was fine. 'The Wizard' is Jericho's greatest moniker!  Further love for 'Daddy Magic' Matt Minard's full white denim ensemble. Gunn Club! Acclaimed! How is Billy Gunn suddenly more fun that he's ever been? Yeah, they didn't need this segment to prove Pillman Jr can't work a live mic (as a babyface).  Dumb segment all around.  Blondes don't attack, Julia doesn't turn heel (the crowd goes mild), three men stand over a cowering young woman - yeah, that's not such a great visual! Rebound: Fenix-Martin was fantastic - here's what I do when it goes to the break - mute the TV, cue up a tune on your streaming provider, play it thru an alternate speaker (eg. BOSE multi-directional speaker), now you're able to focus, and enjoy the action! I'm crying 'Rematch' over here!  Please!  Rosa's not so good on the live mic either.  Am i the only one who thinks Serena looks a lot like Bret?  As soon as she says the 'shortest reigning champion' line to Rosa you absolutely know she's not winning (dumb, dumb, dumb).  Deonna-Mercedes Main Event?  TK has got to get over his 'respect for the title' so the match goes last nonsense. It's a nice thought, but clearly doesn't always work. Further, if you're going with this as the Main, hype it in the first hour and a half.  Give us a Deonna promo - she's good (love that Tully comparison).  Show Mercedes toughening herself up for the bout.  I liked the bout, but clearly a poorly formatted-tho-pretty-fun show.  

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Matt D said:

In wrestling, every bland babyface is one heel turn away from maybe breaking out. I firmly believe that there was an amazing heel run inside of Tom Zenk that never made it out. That said, Pillman's instincts are just so off.

I hate to say Pillman has negative charisma, but man, that dude has negative charisma. The way he was out there in the ring with that mic just building to a shout out to John Harbaugh was so awkward and cringe worthy. I felt bad for the guy. He was dying out there. Like, maybe that sort of thing works in 1982, but that kind of promo isn't going to cut it in 2022. It was so boring that the crowd couldn't even bring themselves to "WHAT?" Pillman's promo.

He's totally lacking in any sort of fire, he's really sloppy, and the style he's trying to wrestle just doesn't work for him. I may be alone in thinking this, but Pillman Jr. is a pretty thick dude and is trying to wrestle like his dad. He should have learned how to be a shit kicker brawler and really leaned into looking like a piece of trash. He already has the mullet, he just needs some awful facial hair.

• Like 5

It’s very odd to me that Pillman is one of the few young guys, outside of MJF, who gets in-ring promo time, despite the fact that he is expressly bad at it.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 7

57 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

The comparison to Austin Gunn was solely on the similarities of ppl shitting all over him working as a plucky babyface. The difference is Pillman 2 actually gets TV time in that role. Ppl were already calling for the Gunns to be shitcanned, and that was without being on the Turner networks. As mentioned, young Brian was a heel in MLW and it was really good. He looked promising. I agree with much of the complaints, but so much of it is based around what he is asked to do - when is he not an enhancement talent? Not easy to make something work that isn't natural, but yeah, clearly, everybody's right, he's not making it work. Dr. Britt Baker couldn't make a babyface character work either, and I would say his 'instincts' as a babyface are no worse than hers were. She's made out pretty alright. All this said, yeah he's a horrible babyface promo (but I do find it pretty hilarious). I think his father figure in all this is Jericho (could be wrong), and as good a heel promo as the Wizard has, his babyface promo is just awful.    

I wanna see Pillman turn heel on Griff.  I wanna see Brock turn on Lee Johnson.  I wanna see Johnson/Griff as the babyface team and Arn leading a new age Horsemen team of Brock and Pillman. Anybody wanna WILL this one with me?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The comparison to Austin Gunn was solely on the similarities of ppl shitting all over him working as a plucky babyface. The difference is Pillman 2 actually gets TV time in that role. Ppl were already calling for the Gunns to be shitcanned, and that was without being on the Turner networks. As mentioned, young Brian was a heel in MLW and it was really good. He looked promising. I agree with much of the complaints, but so much of it is based around what he is asked to do - when is he not an enhancement talent? Not easy to make something work that isn't natural, but yeah, clearly, everybody's right, he's not making it work. Dr. Britt Baker couldn't make a babyface character work either, and I would say his 'instincts' as a babyface are no worse than hers were. She's made out pretty alright. All this said, yeah he's a horrible babyface promo (but I do find it pretty hilarious). I think his father figure in all this is Jericho (could be wrong), and as good a heel promo as the Wizard has, his babyface promo is just awful.    

I wanna see Pillman turn heel on Griff.  I wanna see Brock turn on Lee Johnson.  I wanna see Johnson/Griff as the babyface team and Arn leading a new age Horsemen team of Brock and Pillman. Anybody wanna WILL this one with me?

Love the Johnson/Griff idea and yes to the idea of New Age Horsemen, but I rather Pillman just not be there, but who knows. Are there any other 2nd generation Horsemen alumns?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I may be alone in thinking this, but Pillman Jr. is a pretty thick dude and is trying to wrestle like his dad. He should have learned how to be a shit kicker brawler and really leaned into looking like a piece of trash. He already has the mullet, he just needs some awful facial hair.

He's young enough that you can say 'Should' drop the have.  I very much agree with you.  

1 minute ago, porksweats said:

Love the Johnson/Griff idea and yes to the idea of New Age Horsemen, but I rather Pillman just not be there, but who knows. Are there any other 2nd generation Horsemen alumns?

Don't think 4H86.  Or even a stable of 4. I'm talking early to mid-90s great random Arn teams.  Even his team with Roma was good.  So Horsey comparisons more appropriate to a Roma/Arn.   

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1