DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2022

As the talk of MJF possibly going to WWE in 2024 heat up, and with people opining whether there will be a mass exodus of "Cody people" to WWE, I have to ask the important question for my sanity: Ricky Starks is not a "Cody person" is he? I consider him to have more potential than MJF and his leaving would hurt more than MJF to me. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, punkenhead said:

As the talk of MJF possibly going to WWE in 2024 heat up, and with people opining whether there will be a mass exodus of "Cody people" to WWE, I have to ask the important question for my sanity: Ricky Starks is not a "Cody person" is he? I consider him to have more potential than MJF and his leaving would hurt more than MJF to me. 

Big time Cody guy.

If AEW is still around and close to it's current state in 2024, they'd be fine losing MJF and Starks.  Not that I don't think those guys are both really good, but they've just got SO MUCH talent on their roster.  And who even knows how some of their younger prospects will come along, or even some wrestler who's just starting on the indies right now that might blow up in two years.  

That's the advantage of having a deep bench and allowing multiple people to shine.  You don't have to worry about one or two losses tanking the whole ship.

Cody's leaving hasn't even been a blip.  Oh, he's got pyro and a countdown?  Cool.  He's also been feuding with Seth Rollins for months.  Good for him.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, punkenhead said:

I would hope Ricky would have the common sense to look at the landscape in WWE in terms of who's being brought in. I love Ricky Starks to death, but his size all but predetermines what his spot would be in modern day WWE. If he wants to go make an obscene amount of money for a couple years before being a "pre-stockholder's call" release, he should go. Bag security matters. 

Phew, I've been working an extra hour or two every day this week. I've had one good jog and two workouts this week so far, so now it's time for the first warm meal of the day and busting out All Out 2021 for a bit! Kingston v Miro starting things! I'll go for a walk before bedtime, if I feel like it. Now some relaxation.

• Like 2

It is amazing how much of a dirt cheap bargain Warner Discovery is getting for airing AEW content and yet they shoveled out money for NHL, which doesn't draw nearly as well and doesn't hit the demo nearly as well. I like the NHL a lot, even if the Hawks suck and had a bunch of scumbags there, but it seems like it would make more sense to throw your weight behind NBA, AEW, and NHL in that order.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It is amazing how much of a dirt cheap bargain Warner Discovery is getting for airing AEW content and yet they shoveled out money for NHL, which doesn't draw nearly as well and doesn't hit the demo nearly as well. I like the NHL a lot, even if the Hawks suck and had a bunch of scumbags there, but it seems like it would make more sense to throw your weight behind NBA, AEW, and NHL in that order.

Yeah ratings only matter so far as how much you can charge for ads. Unfortunately wrestling is seen as low brow entertainment. So while their ratings are far higher than NHL games, they don't get to charge the corresponding ad rate. Companies just don't look fondly on the viewership of wrestling. So say they can charge $100k per every one million viewers for a normal show. Wrestling can't get that kind of rate. They have to drop down to charge like $70k per every one million viewers.

It sucks because people are people so who cares what kind of people are watching ya know? But ad companies do big studies on who buys products and what demos buy what percentage of products shown and stuff. And the viewers of wrestling just don't buy things in the quantities that their ratings show.

I won't go all into the weeds on it. But it gets even deeper. Like how they make even less money when they do picture in picture ads because they're not getting the full screen and such. It's kind of a bunch of bullshit, but it's backed up by lots of data. So NHL games with half the viewers are charging probably like double the ad rate of wrestling shows.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This is what's available to potential advertisers across WarnerMedia's portfolio. And they were hardly mentioned at the upfronts in the presentation because AEW couldn't/didn't send anyone to discuss it, whereas almost every other show mentioned in the press conference or whatever had someone from the show giving a little talk.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

And they were hardly mentioned at the upfronts in the presentation because AEW couldn't/didn't send anyone to discuss it, whereas almost every other show mentioned in the press conference or whatever had someone from the show giving a little talk.

They could have sent Orange Cassidy but…

• Like 1

I was always skeptical of the reports AEW would be heavily featured, because it’s AEW TV day and nobody could be there. Upfronts are all about razzle dazzle. If AEW can’t put stars on stage, they’re not going to get featured.

I will say that Dynamite being featured prominently in their Premiere package is a bigger deal than most people will realize. That package has been key to Discovery’s business the last few years and will presumably be an even bigger piece moving forward with the addition of the Warner properties.

• Like 4

On 5/16/2022 at 10:40 PM, Jiji said:

"Call now, free?" really put it over the top.

lionel-hutz-business-card-the-simpsons.p

8 hours ago, punkenhead said:

I'm not huge on Starks but he's got the looks and mic skills that would make him attractive for WWE, albeit not the size. He comes off as more of a Sports Entertainer so I think he'd do well there.

• Like 1

I'd like it if AEW had an exclusive interviewer similar to Mean Gene in WCW. I love Schiavone and it's not that he's bad at it - but I just like having that bit of separation from the announcers team and the backstage team.

They tried with Marvez but he just isn't that guy. Renee Pacquette (Young) would be great if she wanted to do it and I think her and Mox could have a cool dynamic on screen but that's just fantasy booking.

• Like 3

Where's Mike Tenay at? Can he grow a Mean Gene mustache? lol

Yeah Marvez is terrible. And they only use him on pre taped inserts. They also have a woman named Mckenzie (who I think is DDP's daughter). But she seems too much like the generic rotating cast WWE has doing backstage interviews. I never understood how they decide who Tony, Marvez, or Mckenzie interview. Seems random and arbitrary.

They need someone with a bit of gravitas to be their Mean Gene. That's why his segments were good. He had credibility and was a known quantity. Tony would be fine in that role if he wasn't also announcing. But doubling up gets a bit weird sometimes. Would be a great role for a Kevin Kelly or a Mike Tenay or maybe The Coach. Just someone with some TV equity that people buy into being more than a rotating nobody.

The perfect fit isn't available because he's in WWE. But man would I love to see AEW lead interviewer Doc Hendrix ?

• Like 2

Regarding AEW vs NHL, I already knew about the ad rates and that's mainly the only difference. It's fucking dumb, for WWE and AEW, that in 2022 it's still looked at in such a weird way that they don't get close to the same ad rates as other shows. In WWE's case, while their viewership has dropped, their demo is still great and their live event business for PPVs and what not is still good. Shit, they rake in money for WM, Saudi shows, and a bunch of other shit. In AEW's case, they're consistently growing, even if they hit a bump in the road the last few weeks due to the playoffs, their PPV business is solid, and so is their live gate business.

You see all of those people on camera side for both companies? The ones sitting in the front rows? Yeah...Those people aren't driving beat up 1992 Toyota Corollas to the show. They're flying in and driving nice rental vehicles or they're driving to the show in something much nicer. Most of those people likely aren't living in shanties or dumps.

It's all fucking dumb.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Where's Mike Tenay at? Can he grow a Mean Gene mustache? lol

Yeah Marvez is terrible. And they only use him on pre taped inserts. They also have a woman named Mckenzie (who I think is DDP's daughter). But she seems too much like the generic rotating cast WWE has doing backstage interviews. I never understood how they decide who Tony, Marvez, or Mckenzie interview. Seems random and arbitrary.

They need someone with a bit of gravitas to be their Mean Gene. That's why his segments were good. He had credibility and was a known quantity. Tony would be fine in that role if he wasn't also announcing. But doubling up gets a bit weird sometimes. Would be a great role for a Kevin Kelly or a Mike Tenay or maybe The Coach. Just someone with some TV equity that people buy into being more than a rotating nobody.

The perfect fit isn't available because he's in WWE. But man would I love to see AEW lead interviewer Doc Hendrix ?

I believe that's Lexy Nair, and for a random tidbit on her... apparently she is dating Mr. W. Morrissey. I guess size does matter and ya can't teach that.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I believe that's Lexy Nair, and for a random tidbit on her... apparently she is dating Mr. W. Morrissey. I guess size does matter and ya can't teach that.

If I'm not mistaken, Lexy is DDP's daughter as well.