DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2022

17 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

279846813_1024967421488038_7776236499981

Hyped for this, double welcome back! 

This will be a great match, just a shame Rampage is on so early this week.  Maybe Biggest Tony will put the show up on Youtube after it airs?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Isn't that just pro wrestling in general? Unless you're a main eventer, folks used to vanish without a trace from practically every promotion. The only explanation 2 Cold Scorpio's disappearance from WCW ever got was that he missed a flight for a match, then a few weeks later, Marcus Alexander Bagwell's teaming with the Patriot, and little kid me was like "dang, did 2 Cold end up in the Bermuda Triangle?"

You realize that wrestling (at least WWE) always had a (weird and convoluted) universe because you never had an explanation why people were never seen again. When Tully Blanchard flunked his drug test back in 1989, I think they were able to shoehorn in the Brain Busters and Heenan having a fallout before Survivor Series 1989. However, at least 95% of other people didn't even get a bullshit explanation like that. They just disappeared. On occasion, if they came back, you would get some type of payoff (i.e. Crush going to jail and doing the jailbird gimmick, Jake's personal problems and being born again in 1996, etc.). Otherwise, nothing.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
11 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You realize that wrestling (at least WWE) always had a (weird and convoluted) universe because you never had an explanation why people were never seen again. When Tully Blanchard flunked his drug test back in 1989, I think they were able to shoehorn in the Brain Busters and Heenan having a fallout before Survivor Series 1989. However, at least 95% of other people didn't even get a bullshit explanation like that. They just disappeared. On occasion, if they came back, you would get some type of payoff (i.e. Crush going to jail and doing the jailbird gimmick, Jake's personal problems and being born again in 1996, etc.). Otherwise, nothing.

Oh it was definitely everywhere. I've been doing a rewatch of Mid-South (well, more like background noise while I do reports at work), and they'd have loser leaves town matches, but it was usually just to bring back Junkyard Dog as Stagger Lee, or have an excuse to turn Mr. Olympia heel when he came back by having him be a weird stalker to Mr. Wrestling II. But Marty Lunde? He outright vanishes without explanation after losing in the first round of the North American title tournament. Then he pops back up four months later as Arn Anderson and Bill Watts has to go "well, uh, Ole Anderson was having him pretend to be Marty Lunde to gain some experience, but he's really Arn Anderson!"

In conclusion, pro wrestling is weird.

He played an ex-Army Ranger who fought with the biker in Mosul. It was a birthday party for his kid and he ended up decking the neighbor. My first thought when the giant biker walked to the door was "you better not try MMA on THIS guy". 

Oh, and his wife on the show called him holding court and talking shit his "Mystery Science Theater act". Bet MJF steals that in 3, 2, 1...

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

279846813_1024967421488038_7776236499981

Hyped for this, double welcome back! 

Finally, an AEW show that will have two women's matches that will likely both get decent time! All it took was... moving it to a 5:30 PM time slot of death.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TimLivingston said:

Dear God. 

Fucking fantastic. Fuck WWE for releasing William Regal who can do it all: wrestler, promos, commentary, manager, comedy, seriousness, authority figure etc.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, zendragon said:

They really need to air this on Dynamite 

Definitely. I love that he's entirely soft spoken during the whole thing. So many promos are stereotypical shouty wrestler promos, and here we have Mr. Regal being quiet and scaring the shit out of people 100x more powerfully because of it. This is how Cesaro should have been given promo time back in the day, instead of just here's a mic kid go fail in front of everyone.

• Like 3

I’d love to see Stu Grayson take a hiatus to New Japan.  There’s a lot of guys who could benefit greatly from the Archer refresh of a solid run abroad.  I suspect from the further reports I read that Stu will likely be back around at some point (here’s hoping).

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

It's possible he's dropped into the Peter Avalon spot, where he's no longer signed but they'll use him show to show.

I was going to say that was the Cody Rhodes spot, but Cody departed from it.

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Stu Grayson might really benefit of a change in scenery. Either in the ROH relaunce or NWA, probably better to be a big fish in a smaller pond than to be the DO version of Scott Norton

tiny Scott Norton.  I keep thinking this guy is bigger than he is but he's so super tiny

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Regal's eye rake with the side of his hand is some old school dirty trick in a street fight.  fucking brilliant.

I loved all that shit, showing Yuta all the carny cheap shots and stretching him in the BCC Dungeon at an undisclosed location. What a clip.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

tiny Scott Norton.  I keep thinking this guy is bigger than he is but he's so super tiny

A lot of them are super tiny. Watching Bobby Fish be dwarfed by Jeff Hardy right now of all people.

RE: DO/SG - only so long you can have guys running around in gimp masks on national TV, let alone be interacting with your world champ of all people when you're negotiating for new deals. They should have re-wardrobed/concepted them as they have (successfully) with a lot of other talent. Gone the way of the dinosaurs now: think as a collective they've had maybe 3 or 4 TV features this year, all losses of course.

Edited by A_K

20 hours ago, The Natural said:

Fucking fantastic. Fuck WWE for releasing William Regal who can do it all: wrestler, promos, commentary, manager, comedy, seriousness, authority figure etc.

all of this. plus a phenomenal trainer. and excellent eye for talent. a guy that can truly do it all.

• Thanks 1