DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So apparently Simone Johnson (the Rock and Dany Garcia's daughter) has been given a WWE name - Ava Raine

Just when you thought renaming Rick Steiner’s son was WWE digging to the depths of their stupidity, they pull out a better shovel.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8

if the WWE didn't regard masked non-Mexicans as jobbers, they could put some of their NXT guys under masks to not overexpose them by the time they come up to the main roster

And the following is inspired by the DON thread in the AEW folder:

Atomic Drops, too goofy to believe in 2022? or a move that needs to make a comeback?

• Like 2

If a certain amount of 2020s wrestling involves "look at all these amazing moves" then there's probably a way to get good heel heat from denying fans the chance to see their favorites hit their favorite moves on heels. Which means that maybe some moves can be dusted off to fill the time before the big moves are hit. Hey, you thought you were gonna see a big move? nah, the heel just countered it into an atomic drop! (or the heel is doing the peepee dance after getting atomic dropped)

Sorta like how in Lucha, I'd think the tecnicos are flying way way more often then the rudos, and the rudos get heat off of fans wanting to see the tecnicos do big moves on them.

Extra thing I posted on the DON thread without realizing "hey, it's locking soon": the female equivalent to Ric Flair promos.

There's probably some things that really wouldn't be taken the intended way and there's a lot of "men writing women" dangers out there. But i'd think a variety of character types would be a big plus for women's wrestling as opposed to just having the matches involve mainly really talented wrestlers who can do cool moves.

Another thing that probably could be done right but could definitely done wrong. Actual on-screen interactions between the male and female wrestlers without it turning into a bunch of romance angles or making the women seem secondary.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

if the WWE didn't regard masked non-Mexicans as jobbers, they could put some of their NXT guys under masks to not overexpose them by the time they come up to the main roster

Atomic Drops, too goofy to believe in 2022? or a move that needs to make a comeback?

Aren’t they called “Manhattan drops” now or is that a different move?

5 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Aren’t they called “Manhattan drops” now or is that a different move?

Inverted Atomic Drops are called that by Excalibur who played too many video games in the 00s.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Inverted Atomic Drops are called that by Excalibur who played too many video games in the 00s.

I think we should as a society should reclaim both the atomic drop and the Manhattan drop for some sort of cool head drop finisher.  Both names are too good for a move that won't even get a near-fall.

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

it's kinda hard to act like an inverted atomic drop isn't dropping a guys balls into your knee

I think the original logic was it's not a "strike" to the groin. The Manhattan Drop is a legal groin attack the same way pulling someone perched on the top rope's legs out is.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

it's kinda hard to act like an inverted atomic drop isn't dropping a guys balls into your knee

at least with atomic drops, it's pretty clearly dropping a taint/tailbone into your knee

An Inverted Atomic Drop impacts the tailbone. 

The Atomic Drop impacts the perineum. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

well putting that word into Google Images was something

slipping down the stairs on my tailbone once was not a lot of fun, especially since I ended up on wooden benches at a funeral shortly after that

‘Taint something to look up online.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

I think a lot of people have had some kind of slip that ends up hurting the tailbone so we can appreciate the atomic drop/Manhattan drop, and the reaction thereof. Rick Rude will always be the best, but there’s also something to be said for the subtle subtle cringe where you are just motionless for a minute.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

‘Taint something to look up online.

This reminds me of my crusade to say that the opposite of colder than a witch's titty should be hot as a wizard's taint.  So on hot days, I'd appreciate if you guys spread that around.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I think a lot of people have had some kind of slip that ends up hurting the tailbone so we can appreciate the atomic drop/Manhattan drop, and the reaction thereof.

only one more relatable move would involve someone banging their toe against something and hobbling around

1 hour ago, porksweats said:

My old school move that I want to see the return of is the bell clap. Nobody's busting that out anymore.

palm thrusts/slaps in general could be a little more popular, especially for guys who just don't throw good punches or dudes with giant hands where they could steal offense from sumo

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Just when you thought renaming Rick Steiner’s son was WWE digging to the depths of their stupidity, they pull out a better shovel.

Simone has made it clear she doesn't want to be only known as Rock's daughter, because there's a strong chance she'll be accused of riding dad's coattails. And good luck to her getting any resembling a normal response in the CWC, regardless of her wrestling name.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

In a world with Spanish Flys and "Insert Country Here" Destroyers, Atomic Drops are not too goofy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Simone “The Stone” Johnson

I respect her not wanting to simply bank off of her father's name. At the same time this works so well its disappointing.

• Like 3