DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

Dad Angle in the Shield and Braun tossed into a garbage truck, great stuff. I still wish I could glimpse the reality with Pumpkin Balor vs Sister Abigail. Anyone ever ask Bray what that was supposed to look like?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

Dad Angle in the Shield and Braun tossed into a garbage truck, great stuff. I still wish I could glimpse the reality with Pumpkin Balor vs Sister Abigail. Anyone ever ask Bray what that was supposed to look like?

I'm guessing The Bride in Black from Insidious?  No idea.

15 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I cannot argue because my memory is so terrible (even moreso lately, aarghh) but I remember reading a discussion of the WWE contracts, and unless you have (aka are allowed to have) a really savvy lawyer read it AND have the juice to demand it, most WWE contracts are able to be terminated by them at any point before your 1/3/5 year renewal phase. Another way they get ya.

Every contract can be canceled at any time by WWE. For budget cuts, or because you got an unapproved haircut, or because they sneezed in front of Vince. For any reason. They cut people all the time and have it in all contracts that it can be terminated at any time by WWE. The performers have no such rights. They are stuck in the deal once they sign it.

There's like 2 or 3 people that have been able to negotiate a "no-cut" clause in the last few years. But of course those 2 or 3 are people WWE would never cut anyways. But outside of like Reigns & Orton & maybe Cody... anyone can be cut at anytime by WWE. And it's been that way since the Monday Night Wars when the contract structure changed to compete with WCW.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, local tv news contracts for on-air talent are basically the same as WWE's contracts (but for TONS less money). Definitely NOT saying that makes them ok, but just pointing out that it's not something exclusive to pro wrestling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, Log said:

For what it's worth, local tv news contracts for on-air talent are basically the same as WWE's contracts (but for TONS less money). Definitely NOT saying that makes them ok, but just pointing out that it's not something exclusive to pro wrestling.

It's probably for the best to say that one-sided at-will employment is garbage.

59 minutes ago, Log said:

According to Google local TV News people are members of SAG-AFTRA. Which means they have a union and collective bargaining at least. So unless Google failed me here, while their contracts may be similar... they still have way more rights and benefits than pro wrestlers.

To your point, they may be able to be cut whenever and have no compete clauses like wrestlers, but they are still in a way better position than pro wrestlers are WRT benefits & financials.

• Like 1

Just now, NoFistsJustFlips said:

According to Google local TV News people are members of SAG-AFTRA. Which means they have a union and collective bargaining at least. So unless Google failed me here, while their contracts may be similar... they still have way more rights and benefits than pro wrestlers.

To your point, they may be able to be cut whenever and have no compete clauses like wrestlers, but they are still in a way better position than pro wrestlers are WRT benefits & financials.

Not all local TV people are union.  Some stations are not at all union and some have union members, but not everyone.  It's a mess.

• Like 3

Funny enough, my dad has worked for a local TV station as the sportscaster and he isn't under any sort of a contract - but the contract thing is 100%.  I just got off the phone with him to see what he thought on this, and they CAN release people on grounds of declining ratings and such. They do have severance packages and stuff of that nature, but a quick five minute talk with him showed me it really is a lot similar than I thought. There's a lot of neuance within it though, because a few companies own a lot of stations so it allows for people to talk with other stations who are under their current owners companies umbrella.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, just drew said:

“Everything Sasha does is ok because she’s the one doing it…”

Like we get it man, you hate Sasha. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Log said:

HOW DARE SHE WALK OUT ON THE COMPANY LIKE THAT!!!  SHE NEEDS TO HONOR HER CONTRACT!!!

SHE'S SUCH A MARK FOR HERSELF!

YOU SOLD OUT YOU SOLD OUT

• Haha 4

Very surprised @John from Cincinnati didn't pontificate about how she is graciously stepping away to make room for the new Chief Brandi Officer of WWE lol.

Her taking time away could be just that, a little break. But this feels more significant to me. Time will tell. But Linda's been gone for awhile now. Shane is gone again. Triple H was gone for a bit (and is back but in a very limited capacity), & now Stephanie? Vince is the only day to day McMahon and he's almost 80?

They really are getting ready to sell aren't they? All of the McMahons will get billion dollar payouts via stock buyouts. Someone's gonna get the company with Vince running it until the day he dies. And then Nick Khan taking over.

/wild speculation

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 3

Sell it to Disney, Disney merges the whole thing into the MCU. 

That sounds both terrible and like something that I want to exist, even if I would never actually want to watch it. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

What I can never wrap my finger around is why a company which is supposedly having record levels of success seems to be in a constant state of turmoil. 

They seem fairly stable to me, tbh. Long-term TV/streaming deals, the leadership of the company is in no danger of being bought out unless they want to, no hostile takeover bids, etc. 

It's turmoil for the grunts, but that's how it is everywhere.

7 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

They seem fairly stable to me, tbh. Long-term TV/streaming deals, the leadership of the company is in no danger of being bought out unless they want to, no hostile takeover bids, etc. 

It's turmoil for the grunts, but that's how it is everywhere.

Agreed with this. Business wise, they're probably as stable as ever. TV deals, streaming service, Saudi deals, etc. They're probably less dependent on "butts in seats" and people actually buying merch or even watching the weekly tv than ever. All they have to do is pump out content and likely just keep the ratings above 3am informercials and they'd still make money hand over fist.

• Like 2

Good for Steph getting out while she still has a lot of years left to enjoy life (and seemingly hasn't destroyed her body like the men in her family), but that statement definitely reads like it wasn't entirely voluntary.

• Like 1