DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

7 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

https://tenor.com/view/yoda-you-must-unlearn-what-you-have-learned-star-wars-empire-strikes-back-jedi-gif-11538657

Seriously though. I think my usage dictionary is at the office, so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure the idea that "less" and "fewer" are mutually exclusive is one of those pseudorules that somebody randomly pulled out of their ass at one point and convinced some other people to go along with. "Less" is the opposite of "more"; like "more", it can be used with both mass nouns and count nouns. "Fewer", of course, can only be used with count nouns. Somewhere along the line somebody thought it would be nice if their usage was symmetrical. And yeah, I can sort of see that it would be nice - but it's not so. Oh well.

You'd never catch anyone confusing "less" with "fewer" if this guy had won The Battle of Blackwater Bay

Stannis+GIF.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

WWE always has a cover story to pin the blame on the wrestlers. Much like the leaked shit that Keith Lee was difficult to work with, or, well, the same goes for a bunch of released wrestlers. They're always telling Satin or someone not Meltzer that such and such was difficult to work with and it was basically all the wrestler's fault. This press release is the same bullshit. Sorry, but WWE's track record, Vince, Bruce, and Laurinitis in particular, is fucking garbage when it comes to anything they say that is negative about a wrestler. This is the same company that put out a documentary tearing down the Ultimate Warrior only for some years later to bend over kiss his ass and name an award after that piece of shit.

It's always the wrestler's fault until they come crawling back.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Weird Al has us pedants covered!

I'm reading so much out there about the Sasha/Naomi thing, and while none of it is verified yet, the stuff I'm reading has me ready to hate on Bruce Prichard. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

You'd never catch anyone confusing "less" with "fewer" if this guy had won The Battle of Blackwater Bay

Stannis+GIF.gif

This is one of my favorite character moments in the entire series. Stannis is the guy who just can't help himself but to correct all perceived wrongs. This is his entire character in one word. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I need to axe people about their use of the word moot.

Transposition is a hallmark of African-American Vernacular English, dammit!

I love how in Futurama, the AAVE pronunciation of the work "ask" became the standard pronunciation for all English speakers (or at least the ones in New New York). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Stannis+GIF.gif

Fucking Renly...

All he had to do was bend the knee, help Stannis with his RIGHTFUL claim and then, one he was named heir, make sure Stannis had a terrible accident.

Stupid boy.

Anyway, go Sasha & Naomi. Would love Sasha to be the first person to actually tear up her contract & quit, sit her 90 days, and roll into AEW.

Has Sasha done anything other than a bit part on The Mandalorian? There is so much need for content to feed the streaming beast that it's quite reasonable a decent agent could find her consistent work outside of pro wrestling. 

5 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Has Sasha done anything other than a bit part on The Mandalorian? There is so much need for content to feed the streaming beast that it's quite reasonable a decent agent could find her consistent work outside of pro wrestling. 

I don't know how or why but during the college football national championship game Disney hired her for a really odd gig to do with their presentation. 

Not acting but if anyone wants to see more Sasha she's on Kevin Hart's Cold as Balls show today 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know how or why but during the college football national championship game Disney hired her for a really odd gig to do with their presentation. 

Not acting but if anyone wants to see more Sasha she's on Kevin Hart's Cold as Balls show today 

To me, she clearly has that extra star power. I could see her presenting, doing acting jobs, etc. It might be worthwhile for her to just go do that stuff instead, especially if it turns out that Disney likes her and she can find ways to do work for Disney/ESPN/etc.

Save your body, make dollars, and come back to wrestling later if you want to. 

29 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

To me, she clearly has that extra star power. I could see her presenting, doing acting jobs, etc. It might be worthwhile for her to just go do that stuff instead, especially if it turns out that Disney likes her and she can find ways to do work for Disney/ESPN/etc.

Save your body, make dollars, and come back to wrestling later if you want to. 

She could just stream on Twitch and easily make six figures if she wanted to.

I'm pretty sure if Sasha wants to get into showbiz full time she just needs to call her uncle and have him hook her up with a few of the right people.

56 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Context pls

Could be any number of things since Ryan Satin isn't exactly well liked (hell it could be something private that we don't know about) but I'd guess its related to him working a TV show that dealt with tricking low level criminals (and/or immigrants) into getting arrested and making a joke out of it. Which as you can probably figure didn't age well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Context pls

If I were to hazard a guess:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2895018-bayley-sasha-banks-mock-rumors-about-crying-on-the-floor-after-winning-titles

Their actions were in reference to a report by Pro Wrestling Sheet's Ryan Satin last year. After Sasha and Bayley lost the WWE Women's Tag Team titles to The IIconics at WrestleMania 35, Satin reported that multiple sources said Sasha and Bayley were "laying on the floor of the locker room on Sunday, and back at the hotel in front of one of their rooms, loudly making it known they were unhappy about losing the tag titles."

Edited by TheVileOne

2 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Transposition is a hallmark of African-American Vernacular English, dammit!

I love how in Futurama, the AAVE pronunciation of the work "ask" became the standard pronunciation for all English speakers (or at least the ones in New New York). 

It's also, as I understand it, the older pronunciation. Though not by much. Some English speakers have been saying "ask" and some "aks" for over a thousand years.

• Like 1

I woke up a few hours before having to get up for work and I saw a post on Instagram about the Sasha and Naomi thing. It's crazy how WWE just completely broke kayfabe even more than it already is trying to put the heat on Noami and Sasha. I've been a big fan of Sasha since the beginning. I'm aware of her "reputation" but the wrestling business,  especially WWE has always been so One sided in terms on contacts. They thrive off the idea of 90% of the wrestlers that come in are marks for the business or atleast marks for WWE. When guys precieved worth is bigger than the WWE is ready to deal with then that person is an asshole. Growing up I liked the idea of Warrior fighting for his likeness and going toe to toe with them legally on different things. I'm not saying he handled things in the best way alot of times but he certainly wasn't a mark for WWE. Or even a guy like Punk who loved this business and they totally made him hate it. Maybe Sasha may think she is a bigger deal than she really is but I do believe she has qualities that could get her over outside Wrestling. I do believe she has the ability to be a star outside of wrestling. I Naomi doing decent outside of wrestling as well honesty especially since she already has a history on reality TV. She married into the Wrestling business, its not like she Has no love for it herself and for someone who came in from the outside she became pretty good. To be honest with you I think she'd be much better outside of WWE because style is too showy with all the dancing offense. As for Sasha, I've expected her to eventually attempt to be like Cena or Rock or Batista and move on to Hollywood under the WWEs banner. Sasha is still a huge wrestling fan so I think if she doesn't come back then she'll be working for somebody even if it's a handful of dates. This situation is going to be interesting because with Noami being tied with Jimmy Uso you would think they'd want to keep her happy. When they didn't put her in the bloodline I really realized she isn't as valued as she could be because honestly her in the bloodline in this current run would have done way more for her than being Women's tag team champion. Without a belt she would have been made. Let's be honest,  that title had mostly been held by makeshift teams after like Sasha and Bayley I couldn't even tell you would held those titles. Watching Wrestlemania I had no clue Carmela and Zelina were a team. When they started the division I was hoping for late 00's early 10's TNA women's tag team division type deal with a handful of real tag teams and not 2 women put together only to last for till the next PPV cycle 

• Like 3

I do think Banks and Naomi likely have valid grievances. That said, I also believe sometimes you have to pick your battles. And this is just my opinion, but based on the limited information we have, I feel like they kind of picked the wrong one here, especially Naomi.

Like Naomi has been treated a lot worse since her run as SmackDown women's champion, which ended almost five years ago. Like at least now they were putting her in a world title match. 

The women's tag team division is an after-thought and the titles are still an after-thought with them as champions. Last year they gutted the roster and basically trashed the women's roster along with women who would have been a natural fit for the tag team division (Riott Squad, IIconics, etc.). None of the higher-ranked women put their foot down or stood up for anyone or the women's tag team titles when the roster was gutted last year.

Now yeah, do I think Sasha Banks could be a bigger star in and pillar of the division? Yes, most definitely, but Sasha Banks isn't alone on that either. Becky Lynch now isn't a fraction of the star power and level she was three years ago. Turning her heel upon returning and beating Bianca Belair was bad for her character and brand. It was also badly executed. And this is after Becky Lynch basically ripped the main event scene away from Rousey and Charlotte Flair. 

Has Becky Lynch main evented a single WWE PPV since she returned? 

Point being, I think Lynch has had more just-cause to walk away from WWE than Banks and Naomi in recent years.

12 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I do think Banks and Naomi likely have valid grievances. That said, I also believe sometimes you have to pick your battles. And this is just my opinion, but based on the limited information we have, I feel like they kind of picked the wrong one here, especially Naomi.

Like Naomi has been treated a lot worse since her run as SmackDown women's champion, which ended almost five years ago. Like at least now they were putting her in a world title match. 

The women's tag team division is an after-thought and the titles are still an after-thought with them as champions. Last year they gutted the roster and basically trashed the women's roster along with women who would have been a natural fit for the tag team division (Riott Squad, IIconics, etc.). None of the higher-ranked women put their foot down or stood up for anyone or the women's tag team titles when the roster was gutted last year.

Now yeah, do I think Sasha Banks could be a bigger star in and pillar of the division? Yes, most definitely, but Sasha Banks isn't alone on that either. Becky Lynch now isn't a fraction of the star power and level she was three years ago. Turning her heel upon returning and beating Bianca Belair was bad for her character and brand. It was also badly executed. And this is after Becky Lynch basically ripped the main event scene away from Rousey and Charlotte Flair. 

Has Becky Lynch main evented a single WWE PPV since she returned? 

Point being, I think Lynch has had more just-cause to walk away from WWE than Banks and Naomi in recent years.

From all accounts I have seen she was the one who wanted to turn heel.

• Like 1

I don't know how anyone can say Becky Lynch has had more of a reason to walk away than ______. Even before she went on maternity leave, she was a focal point of the TV programs and treated as a big deal. She closed out WrestleMania, and can say she beat Charlotte & Ronda Rousey in the same match for both titles. When she returned last year, she was instantly the biggest heel in the women's division and was, again, a focal point of WWE television.

Sasha isn't, and hasn't been, in a while. The only notable thing I can think of that Sasha has done in the past few years was turn Bayley heel and give Bayley's character a new lease on life. So, basically a utility player. And she's insanely over, to boot. I don't like Sasha in-ring (anymore), but to put her into supporting roles or minor feuds with... Natalya, I think it was, when she returned or whatever... just weird stuff.

Wasn't Sasha's spot at Mania taken by Ronda? I know Ronda denied it, and I'm sure she's telling the truth but Wasn't there no Mania plans for Sasha up until a few weeks before Mania? I was waiting for Ronda and Sasha again easily Rondas best 2  to 3 matches

On 5/16/2022 at 5:05 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

SRS is reporting that the Flair match will be a tag vs Ricky Steamboat.

In an update, Steamboat just did a video with Highspots and said he was approached and gave it some thought but has ultimately declined the match. Basically said he wants fans to remember him as he went out in '09 vs Jericho and not risk disappointing or tarnishing his legacy. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Not wanting to sound like one of her enormous army of fans, but Sasha Banks 100% has IT. She has capital-S Star potential in a way that Charlotte (for example) just does not, outside of wrestling. Her gimmick instantly clicks with people (especially women!) who don't have any particular interest in wrestling, she's charming and funny in interviews and is, as others have mentioned, related to America's uncle. She will be fine in whatever she does. She does not need the WWE as much as the WWE needs her. I doubt she gets released,  and I could see her trying to quit but I kind of doubt it, as she (if I had to hazard a guess) understands the power and reach the WWE has in terms of continuing to 'build her brand.' I think her booking has been mostly fine, if uninspiring, but it doesn't go unnoticed that when it comes to stepping out of the main event scene, she's the one to do it and not Becky or Charlotte, so much. They've never earnestly tried to put the division on her back, which I think is a real missed opportunity.

As for the walk out, I am always on the side of the workers, period. Glad she and Naomi acted as a unit and as a team. Solidarity! No idea how it will all shake out, but this is (as we have seen in the past, with mixed results) a perfectly legitimate means of exerting whatever limited power you have as an 'independent contractor.'

• Like 6

1 hour ago, The Idiot King said:

Sasha Banks 100% has IT. She has capital-S Star potential in a way that Charlotte (for example) just does not, outside of wrestling. Her gimmick instantly clicks with people (especially women!) who don't have any particular interest in wrestling, she's charming and funny in interviews.

WWE tends to do this alot, they force the person they want the most to be the one to cross over commercials and stuff representing the company over someone else who may be a better person for that spot. I think that has left plenty money off the table for them. Like I always bring up way back when Underarmour was still new they wanted Shelton Benjamin on some commercials and WWE said they wanted them to use Orton or they weren't going to work with them at all. Of course Punk talk about Chael  Sonnen wanted Punk to walk him to the ring for a fight and the told him no. I think WWE has gotten better with letting other guys that aren't their handpicked guys do outside stuff involving celebrities lately but it was ridiculous in the past

• Like 2