DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

1 minute ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Bossman's best stuff is in that mid-'90s WCW run, IMO. Lots of very good TV matches as Guardian Angel and Big Bubba Rogers. 

I dont think Bossman had a bad run at any point. He might be my favorite big man.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I dont think Bossman had a bad run at any point. He might be my favorite big man.  

Yeah, I don't think he was ever bad. Maybe he wasn't that great in his Blackwater/Xe Head of Security run in the Attitude Era, but almost no one got the chance to show out unless they were getting lengthy PPV matches, and most of his stuff was on TV where the in-ring product was all-time shitty during that era. 

I just think that his mid-'90s WCW stint produced his best run of work overall.

• Like 1

Monty Brown also had the bad luck of going to WWE and getting an exceptionally shitty name from the generator.

Marcus Cor Von? What the fuck? The "Marcus" part is fine, but it goes rapidly downhill from there. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 3

Bossman had a bigger impact on the late-90s AE run then he's probably given credit for. Was presented as being able to go toe-to-toe with Austin on numerous occasions .. obv. in that infamous sketch with 'Taker. Really good worker to have around and hold things together during a chiefly "entertainment" era for them.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, A_K said:

Bossman had a bigger impact on the late-90s AE run then he's probably given credit for. Was presented as being able to go toe-to-toe with Austin on numerous occasions .. obv. in that infamous sketch with 'Taker. Really good worker to have around and hold things together during a chiefly "entertainment" era for them.

Don't sleep on the "entertainment" either him getting Big Show to casket surf behind the BluesMobile was great stuff!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Came up with a top 10 last summer, gonna expand this on the spot

-Shawn Michaels

-Minoru Suzuki

-Bryan Danielson

-Kenta Kobashi

-Chris Jericho

-The Rock

-CM Punk

-Undertaker

-AJ Styles

-Samoa Joe

-Bret Hart

-Kazuchika Okada

-Hiroshi Tanahashi

so that's 13, two guys just killing it right now to round it out are Jay White and Hangman Page

Edited by Nineteen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Yeah, I don't think he was ever bad. Maybe he wasn't that great in his Blackwater/Xe Head of Security run in the Attitude Era, but almost no one got the chance to show out unless they were getting lengthy PPV matches, and most of his stuff was on TV where the in-ring product was all-time shitty during that era. 

I just think that his mid-'90s WCW stint produced his best run of work overall.

Thirded (fourthed?) on the AE run. Some of those hardcore title matches that went all over the building were super fun as a kid, and the Big Show stuff is still hilarious. I'm biased though, I met him at a signing around that time and he was incredibly gracious to young me, so he became a favorite.

Edit: There was also the tag title run with Shamrock which had some pretty decent matches (again, for the time)

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

Steve Austin, Eddie Guerrero, John Cena, Hulk Hogan, Undertaker, Kane, Akira Hokuto, Aja Kong, Genichiro Tenryu, Mick Foley, the Rock. 

I could only manage 11. After that there are too many too choose from: Bossman, Danielson, Kawada, Taue, Flair (Charlotte and Ric), Bayley, Raquel Gonzalez, Kairi, Momo Watanabe, AZM, Kagetsu, Vader, Hansen, Muta, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Monty Brown also had the bad luck of going to WWE and getting an exceptionally shitty name from the generator.

Marcus Cor Von? What the fuck? The "Marcus" part is fine, but it goes rapidly downhill from there. 

Not getting to keep the POUUUUUUNCCCE as his finisher sucked too. I think he may be the only wrestler in history to sport tights emblazoned with his setup move.

• Like 2

Did Steamboat get divorced or is he just doing Ric a favor?

I’m hoping Flair wrestles in an Elvis jumpsuit made up to look like his robe. No one needs to see his Room 237-ass body in trunks again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just as an add-on to how hot Steamboat was, like the dude was hotter than hell with the crowd. Check out the rematch he had with Savage in Houston after Mania III. Steamboat easily could've been a main event level babyface or world champion if Hogan didn't have such a death grip on the belt. 

Crazy to me how badly Vince treated him after he wanted some time off and WCW let him go after six months and putting on an epic trilogy with Ric Flair.

• Like 4

I'm regretting not adding Kevin Nash to mine in hindsight. Hot take - Nash's in-ring stuff wasn't far behind Bret's from a perspective of it being sensible for what was being portrayed as a real fight. Nash worked well as a big guy - his stuff looked like it hurt, and he bumped and sold appropriately. 

Also, if we're talking good Big Show runs - the ECW title run ages well. It's surrounded by a lot of negativity because the ECW relaunch wasn't what people wanted to be, but ultimately, he's out there having 10 minute garbage matches on a weekly basis, plus whatever else on Raw/SD. He worked an insane schedule for the time. His matches with Flair and Sabu are really good.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

I wonder if Ric will have his future son in law Andrade be his partner?

Meltzer said the rumor was Flair & FTR vs. Steamboat & the Rock N Roll Express.

3 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

"Just call me Smooth!"

• Like 1

Savage

Flair

Eddy (correct spelling)

Kawada

Liger

Rey

Danielson

Foley

Austin

Vader

Stan Hansen

Jumbo

If I had to pick one current wrestler who isn't on this list, who may end up on this list, I think it may be Bianca Belair.  For my money, she has the highest ceiling for any wrestler entering their prime.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

listing 10 main eventers is easy...

I get what you are saying, and it's interesting to think about who is great at different roles up and down the card...

(Greg Valentine was also a pretty great mid-card heel glue guy, for example...)

But,

Narrowing it down to 10 all time great main eventers is genuinely not easy. 

Just have a look at my personal "15 Greatest" list. That list is honestly the best I could do off the top of my head. But: Flair, Bockwinkel, Vader, Kobashi, Fujinami, Hokuto, HBK, Taker, Lawler, Casas, Rock, Harley, Santo, Choshu, Sting, Savage, Mutoh, Hansen, Rey, Foley, Nakano, Sangre, Destroyer, Cena, Volk Han... All of them are, in one way or another, GREAT main event wrestlers whom I had to leave off my list. (Yes, for me personally Jaguar Yokota is "greater than" Ric Flair). I liked your post because I like the idea of valuing guys like Tully for being great in their role.

But narrowing it down to 10 or 15 all time greats ain't easy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

For extra stupidity, didn't they originally spell it "Marquis Cor Von"? Like he was actually a French nobleman, but he didn't know how to pronounce his own title so he went by "Marcus"?

• Like 2