DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

TNA/Impact feels like a pyramid scheme for how long its been around without being profitable 

I feel like you could pick Jeff Jarrett, Dixie Carter or Bob Carter to be Michael in this scene. I don't know who would be Jim as the voice of reason though. Maybe Cornette but no way he'd be this calm.

the-office.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Tomohiro Ishii vs Eddie Kingston from NJPW Capital Collision (May 15, 2022, Washington DC) might be my favourite match so far this year, which is REALLY saying something. They work (edit: they fight) a straight up King's Road classic, and with these two warriors you know it's 100% sincere, coming straight from the heart. A genuine expression of pro wrestling love.

Hoping to watch later bud.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I feel like you could pick Jeff Jarrett, Dixie Carter or Bob Carter to be Michael in this scene. I don't know who would be Jim as the voice of reason though. Maybe Cornette but no way he'd be this calm.

the-office.gif

I choose Sharkboy as Jim

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 9:13 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

He's 130, he did some very questionable things, hasn't exactly been a family man over the years. He only knows how to be Ric Flair.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ric Flair is 130 years old!

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Reigns getting a kick out of little Heyman was the best part of that whole thing. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, A_K said:

Eh - that's a lot of companies through the past decade. That culture isn't going to last for much longer (quite literally possibly in the months).

TNA's biggest problem -- I mean biggest problem -- is their production looked like shit. If they'd had RVD, Angle, Sting etc. working in a WWE-level production environment (which AEW has basically achieved) it could have been quite different. But it looked like the kind of carny a carny would turn their nose up at.

People say AEW looks like PWG with money which reminds me of how people would say TNA should try to be ROH with money instead of poor mans WWE

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, zendragon said:

People say AEW looks like PWG with money which reminds me of how people would say TNA should try to be ROH with money instead of poor mans WWE

I don't know what PWG is, but just checked some stuff out and that's pretty harsh on AEW. AEW production values aren't that far from WWE's now in my opinion (some of the virtual/augmented reality stuff aside). Everything about TNA production was awful, not least the grainy quality of the image. TNA at the time was the equivalent of taking some well known DJs who can still sell tickets and putting them in a field with a shit sound system then trying to compete on a like-for-like basis with a Vegas superclub. It was just ruinous for everyone involved in that project, except those who limped back to WWE and could be rehabilitated.

• Like 1

Here's mine:

• Bryan Danielson.
  • Bret Hart.
  • Kazuchika Okada.
  • Kenta Kobashi.
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi.
  • Mitsuharu Misawa.
  • Ricky Steamboat.
  • Eddie Guerrero.
  • Mick Foley.
  • Rey Mysterio.
  • The Undertaker.
  • Sting.
  • Randy Savage.
  • Kenny Omega.
  • William Regal.
Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Bryan Danielson

Bret Hart

Mick Foley

Tomohiro Ishii

Will Ospreay

Masato Tanaka

CM Punk

Shinsuke Nakamura

Kota Ibushi

Walter

Yoshihiro Tajiri

Kenny Omega

Kurt Angle

Claudio Castagnoli

Shingo Takagi

Missing WCW, All Japan and Joshi in particular, but I'm favouring wrestlers I've watched lots of in real time, rather than just a selection of the highlights years after the fact.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Octopus said:

I choose Sharkboy as Jim

I see your Sharkboy and raise you a Curry Man. Imagine Dixie explaining TNA on a white board and then Curry Man strutting in, enclosing Dixie's drawing in a pyramid, handing her the marker and then dancing off.

PNqeFk.gif

TXmF1a.gif

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

I did my favorite 15 on Twitter as well. Here are mine in no particular order

Flair
Austin
Raven
Terry Funk
Stan Hansen
Foley
Harley Race
Arn Anderson
CM Punk
Tully
Bret Hart
Barry Windham
Eddie G
Brock Lesnar
Scott Hall

• Like 3

Bret Hart, Jim Breaks, William Regal, SID, Great Muta, The Rock, Mark Henry, Vader, Randy Savage, IT'S BAYLEY~, Rick Rude, Razor Ramon (not Scott Hall in general...Razor specifically), Eddie Guerrero, Owen Hart, Booker T

Not in any order, just the guys who I am most likely to stop and watch or get a hankering to watch. If I filled out a top-100 list for the project at PWO, a fair number of these wrestlers aren't getting on the list, I don't think. As much as I'd like to rank Sid #1. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dog said:

"We can script the buzzer-beater moments, we can script the Hail Marys."

I've made this argument to non-wrestling fans, and they just look at me like I'm stupid.

So, WWE should get into scripted sports, I see where you're going with this...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

So, WWE should get into scripted sports, I see where you're going with this...

Don't go giving Vince the idea to start yet another football league

• Haha 1

top 15ish (in no oarticular order except the Macho Man being #1. also this is all off the top of my head so is subject to change)

Randy Savage

Ultimo Dragon

Jushin Liger

Stevie Richards

Samoa Joe

Chris Jericho

Shawn Michaels

Christian

Owen Hart

Eddie Guerrero

Bryan Danielson

Steve Corino

Raven

Chris Benoit

Kanyon

honorary mention: the Repo Man and mountie gimmicks. not the performers, or their matches, i just love those ridiculous gimmicks.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 5

Agreeing with the caveat that this isn't a GWE but just favorites that sort of represent different periods of my watching too...

• Negro Casas
  • Nick Bockwinkel
  • Jim Breaks
  • Mocho Cota
  • Buddy Rose
  • Bret Hart
  • Christian
  • Hector Garza
  • Dustin Rhodes
  • Arn Anderson
  • Andre the Giant
  • Bill Eadie
  • Genichiro Tenryu
  • Yoshiaki Fujiwara
  • Serpentico

Jose Lothario just missed the cut. He should really have made it to represent Houston. So did Satanico and Hector Garza and Eddy Guerrero and Mark Henry and a bunch of french guys (they all sort of eliminated each other, but Delaporte came the closest followed by Leduc/Corn and Manneveau) and who knows who else.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

Top 15, no particular order:

Big Boss Man

Vader

Eddie Guerrero

Genichiro Tenryu

Bryan Danielson

Yuki Ishikawa

Alexander Otsuka

Tajiri

John Tenta

Toshiaki Kawada

William Regal

Amazing Red

Andre

Taka Michinoku

Dick Togo

Otani, Kingston and Dr Death all honorable mentions.

• Like 3