DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

My favorite part of that Roman story over the weekend was that blessed couple of hours when the WWE stans who have spent the last several years basing their identity on ROMAN IS THE NEEDLE MOVER had to quickly pivot to “Actually losing Roman would mean nothing to WWE, because they still have Austin Theory and Bron Breakker.” That was funny shit.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/8/2022 at 1:16 PM, Infinit said:

If there is something more to this, WWE is screwed.

Well, per Dave (so, grains of salt and all) on the WOR,  Roman will be gone from WWE for 10 weeks starting in late June.  

He is apparently not being advertised for any house shows until Labor Day.  He is being advertised for PPV's Premium Live Events but "Card Subject to Change" and all.  

I, for one, am looking forward to Drew McIntyre threatening to murder people with a sword for the entire summer - because we're about to be getting a lot more of that. 

4 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, per Dave (so, grains of salt and all) on the WOR,  Roman will be gone from WWE for 10 weeks starting in late June.  

He is apparently not being advertised for any house shows until Labor Day.  He is being advertised for PPV's Premium Live Events but "Card Subject to Change" and all.  

I, for one, am looking forward to Drew McIntyre threatening to murder people with a sword for the entire summer - because we're about to be getting a lot more of that. 

I'd call him out on it if I was a WWE Superstar (tm), they don't allow blood and it's pretty hard to kill someone with a sword without them bleeding.

27 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I'd call him out on it if I was a WWE Superstar (tm), they don't allow blood and it's pretty hard to kill someone with a sword without them bleeding.

Best Berzerker GIFs | Gfycat

gonna be a lot of this going on

[love how you can tell Taker's not fucking around because, for once, he rolls out of the way normally instead of doing the Dracula situp]

• Like 2

Things I learned this week;

The UK uses Freedom Fractions to measure pizza.

I ran a complex operation compared to most of y'all as it pertains to action figure feds. I had standard 3.5 in GI Joes, but I also got the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat figs in the same scale. Yeah, we ran an invasion angle, until Ken, Ryu, Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Sonya and Chun Li defected and joined my top babyfaces (Snake Eyes, Duke, Lady Jaye, Scarlett, Roadblock) against the invading mercenaries hired by Cobra. Destro was the World Champ, but he used Cobra underlings to protect his title run. Ken and Liu Kang were the "odd couple" tag team champs after Ryu got taken out by Cobra Commander and the Cobra twins who's names escape me. IRL, his rubber band snapped and I had to find my dad's glasses repair kit to give him new life. He got the returning babyface pop and was the first good guy to accept Goro's open challenge. We had a big blowoff ppv. The final event had Baroness vs. Chun Li, Ken & Lu against Scorpion & Sub Zero, Blanka (who switched sides after Shang Tsung insulted him for accidentally costing Goro the Ring of Immortality against Col. Guile.) against Tsung in a "Realm Rules" street fight, Destro vs. Ryu for the World Title, Sonya vs. Cami vs. Cover Girl for the Women's title, some other stuff, a battle royal won by Snake Eyes (he was my Crow Sting. Hung out in the rafters, which were the top shelf of my bookcase, and intervened on behalf of babyfaces when necessary.), and the blowoff: Duke, Johnny Cage, Flint, Roadblock and Guile vs. Bison, Goro, Cobra Commander, Storm Shadow and Zangief. 

I had a lot of action figures. I mowed a lot of lawns. Don't judge me.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

A friend of mine was an only child and he had every single Joe and every WWF LJN.  All I really remember was that he had two Hogan figures, so one of them was Hogan's brother....

...Paul Hogan.

When you brought your Hasbros to his house did he say,  "that's not an action figure," then pull out an LJN and say, "that's an action figure?"

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, Morganti said:

All this action figure fed talk reminds me of the actual story of the first smash bros.. its a kid playing with their toys.

We've been playing a lot of Ultimate in my house lately and its had me wondering how a wrestling themed SSB-style game would do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

When you brought your Hasbros to his house did he say,  "that's not an action figure," then pull out an LJN and say, "that's an action figure?"

My house doesn't use concrete for a foundation, it has King Kong Bundy LJNs instead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

We've been playing a lot of Ultimate in my house lately and its had me wondering how a wrestling themed SSB-style game would do.

Back when i still worked for GameStop, some of the crew would treat fire pro like a figure fed.  We would make like a billion customs and then they would get stoned and we would all commentate the bots.  Now that i also partake in thc i kinda wanna do it again. Maybe as a twitch thing 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peck said:

My house doesn't use concrete for a foundation, it has King Kong Bundy LJNs instead.

Makes sense I guess. He was a walking condominium after all

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

somewhat related (but not the same game genre) - Epic are making another battle royale game, but this time it's wrestling themed. No guns, you do wrestling moves instead. And if you get caught outside of the shrinking circle on the map, a referee starts to count to ten apparently.

• Like 1

I think that's Rumbleverse you speak of, developed by Iron Galaxy. My friend/cousin does art there and her husband is lead designer.

• Like 3

With respect to Reigns, it seems like one of the flaws in WWEs model is you have this billion dollar company built around less than a handful of stars. The stars make a few million a year. In relation to the companys investment in them, they are underpaid. Over time the WWE machine gives the stars so much exposure that they can transition into far easier ways to make the same or more money.

On the other side, developmental/low level talents arent making much. With morale low, more and more talents are choosing not to resign. 

What's left is the middle. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

With respect to Reigns, it seems like one of the flaws in WWEs model is you have this billion dollar company built around less than a handful of stars. The stars make a few million a year. In relation to the companys investment in them, they are underpaid. Over time the WWE machine gives the stars so much exposure that they can transition into far easier ways to make the same or more money.

On the other side, developmental/low level talents arent making much. With morale low, more and more talents are choosing not to resign. 

What's left is the middle. 

What's left is The Miz.

• Like 5

The Miz staying famous enough as a wrestler to do other projects that keep him famous enough as a media personality that he can continue to be a famous wrestler is almost as impressive as someone who’s actually permanently crossed over. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

I think that's Rumbleverse you speak of, developed by Iron Galaxy. My friend/cousin does art there and her husband is lead designer.

Yeah, that’s the one. I’m looking forward to it actually, but Fortnite is really the only battle royale type game I’m into. This is a different spin on the genre so at least there’s that.

Curious if they’ll have licensed IP eventually, too.

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

The Miz staying famous enough as a wrestler to do other projects that keep him famous enough as a media personality that he can continue to be a famous wrestler is almost as impressive as someone who’s actually permanently crossed over. 

I'd say that's more likely Roman's future than being the next Rock/Cena/Batista