DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

Freddie Prinze Jr says he will be starting a wrestling promotion in the next 18 months

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/other-wrestling/freddie-prinze-jr-reveals-plan-to-start-wrestling-promotion-in-next-18-months

Some notes

- Goal is starting with the next 18 months. Could be sooner but said that we require him to move to Australia for 3 months (it sounds like if he accepted a specific role being filmed in Australia it would really boost the available money for the project)

- The company could theoretically run for up to 3 years without making a profit. (Ideally he wants to be making a profit within 2 but Scooby Doo made him a lot of money)

- It looking for a full time location that the promotion would run out of

- Wants it to be a 2 hour TV show but knows he probably won't get a TV deal at the start

- Wants all the wrestlers to join SAG so they would get benefits that way

• Like 9

I'm interested if it's a) a highly-stylized episodic show, a la LU, or b) a total Southern wrestling throwback where half the wrestlers talk like they're from somewhere in Georgia or ARE from somewhere in Georgia, it's a studio show, and there is at least one ruthless heel stable always scheming across multiple storylines.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

For the UK and USA posters. Check out Randy Orton and Riddle's shirts.

I agree with Sasha, Nando's is pretty overrated as food (I get why people like Nando's). They'd be better off buying in some Tandoori Chicken from some local Indian eateries.

Pizza Express was good 20 years ago. As an alibi.

• Haha 2

I had Nando's for the first time a couple years ago. I was so excited beforehand, but it was okay, I guess.

If you're eating British food, the best stuff is cookies  biscuits and cake. Battenberg, Viennese Whirls, Jaffa cakes...fuck yeah, sign me up. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia

I'm a big fan of Nandos but there's also so few locations in the US that it's only an option once in a while for me when traveling through certain states. If it was always available down the street? Yeah, I wouldn't be as impressed, but as a rare treat it absolutely scratches a specific itch. 

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Freddie Prinze Jr says he will be starting a wrestling promotion in the next 18 months

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/other-wrestling/freddie-prinze-jr-reveals-plan-to-start-wrestling-promotion-in-next-18-months

Some notes

- Goal is starting with the next 18 months. Could be sooner but said that we require him to move to Australia for 3 months (it sounds like if he accepted a specific role being filmed in Australia it would really boost the available money for the project)

- The company could theoretically run for up to 3 years without making a profit. (Ideally he wants to be making a profit within 2 but Scooby Doo made him a lot of money)

- It looking for a full time location that the promotion would run out of

- Wants it to be a 2 hour TV show but knows he probably won't get a TV deal at the start

- Wants all the wrestlers to join SAG so they would get benefits that way

I'm really looking forward to 2025 and the biggest talking point in wrestling is Sarah Michelle Gellar having Brandi heat.

• Haha 13

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

You know for a movie that has almost been completely forgotten/ignored in popular culture, it's kind of understated what kind of impact it had:

-Prinze's windfall

-the screenplay was written by James Gunn who made so much money off it and so much reputation that he was able to launch his directing career off of it

-somehow made $275 million (!!) on a $74 million dollar budget

It's something that seems to have had a massive impact but rarely comes up as any sort of Hollywood success story (And this isn't me bigging up my closet favourite show, haha, never seen this and never had much of an interest in Scooby Doo, even when I was little which might be a result of my dad's hatred of it, in particular Scooby's pal 'Scrappy' whom he called "Crappy" as far back as I can remember...I don't know what he'll do if his grandaughter becomes a fan!_)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I agree with Sasha, Nando's is pretty overrated as food (I get why people like Nando's). They'd be better off buying in some Tandoori Chicken from some local Indian eateries.

Pizza Express was good 20 years ago. As an alibi.

5 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I had Nando's for the first time a couple years ago. I was so excited beforehand, but it was okay, I guess.

If you're eating British food, the best stuff is cookies  biscuits and cake. Battenberg, Viennese Whirls, Jaffa cakes...fuck yeah, sign me up. 

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

I'm a big fan of Nandos but there's also so few locations in the US that it's only an option once in a while for me when traveling through certain states. If it was always available down the street? Yeah, I wouldn't be as impressed, but as a rare treat it absolutely scratches a specific itch. 

I've never tried Nando's even though chicken is my favourite meat. I haven't tried Taco Bell, Five Guys, Chinese or Sushi either. There's a Pizza Express where I live but five minutes away is Pizza Pieces, my favourite place to eat run by a welcoming Italian family. The pizza is so fresh and tasty. 1/4 of a 16" pizza with chips and a drink for just over a fiver. Go every chance I get. Have to time it right as they're so busy. 

Second the suggestions by @SirSmellingtonofCascadia. Need to get some Jaffa Cakes again.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Peck said:

I checked out of the Scooby franchise in 1979 when Scrappy-Doo was introduced. Fuck him. 

Mystery Incorporated is the thing since the All New Scooby Doo movies. 

On 5/3/2022 at 12:32 AM, The Natural said:

Who do we have for Wrestler of the Year, Match of the Year and Show of the Year so far?

WOTY I'd currently have CM Punk for his two ***** matches with MJF on AEW Dynamite, 2nd February and at AEW Revolution, 6th March. MJF gets a honourable mention for that joining Bryan Danielson, Dax Harwood, Jon Moxley and Kazuchika Okada.

March of the Year is still Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson on AEW Dynamite way back on the 6th January. Honourable mentions: The two MJF/CM Punk matches I referred to, #FTR vs. Young Bucks on AEW Dynamite (6th April), Briscoe Brothers vs. #FTR at ROH Supercard of Honour and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomohiro Ishii at NJPW Wrestle Dontaku. Gave all *****.

Show of the Year is definitely AEW Revolution thanks to CM Punk vs. MJF, Jon Moxley vs. Bryan Danielson and Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho.

Only watched the Rumble and Mania for WWE. All AEW shows. 

Yuta vs Moxley is my MOTY - star making performance and a great match. the first MJF/Punk match second. ....Was the TayJay vs Bunny/Ford match this year?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I've never tried Nando's even though chicken is my favourite meat. I haven't tried Taco Bell, Five Guys, Chinese or Sushi either. There's a Pizza Express where I live but five minutes away is Pizza Pieces, my favourite place to eat run by a welcoming Italian family. The pizza is so fresh and tasty. 1/4 of a 16" pizza with chips and a drink for just over a fiver. Go every chance I get. Have to time it right as they're so busy. 

Second the suggestions by @SirSmellingtonofCascadia. Need to get some Jaffa Cakes again.

I think only in Britain is Pizza and Fries together a thing.

Having kept strict keto for 8 weeks, I had my cheffy friend make me lasagne, chips and garlic bread - an uniquely British meal if ever there was.

Sushi is overrated unless you paying big bucks in UK.

Chinese is good but you generally want to pick a spot where the local Chinese diaspora might actually go. Good dim sum is money.

• Like 1

re: the new VICE territories show:

i actually think this has a lot of potential and am cautiously excited for it. I only hope they focus on the ones that WWE doesn't own/hasn't focused on. I love the AWA, and WCCW was hugely successful, but give me those other promotions.  Championship Wrestling from Florida. Southeastern. Central States. Big Time. Portland. whatever the LA promotion was (WWA?) use whatever footage exists. talk to whoever's still alive. really dive in to the promotion's identity- including the promoter.

lots of potential- likely won't hit the popularity high of Dark Side, but SOOO much storytelling potential.

• Like 1