DVDVR Message Board

2022 NHL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I have no idea why - probably hits last name - but I've always thought Johnny was Canadian. I can't believe I didn't realize he was American. 

What's weird about the Columbus thing is that he supposedly got offered more money by New Jersey and he is from New Jersey. 

19 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Gaudreau to Columbus is so absolutely baffling to me. 

Me too. But I guess he didn't want to stay in Calgary. I read that Calgary offered him a better contract but ultimately he went with Columbus. The Jackets could be a playoff contender next season with him, Patrick Laine and Boone Jenner. Not sure what their goalie situation is like though. Even though they're the closest NHL in proximity to me (90 minutes away), I don't really keep up with them.

Side note: I totally forgot free agency started and when I checked NHL.com this morning I was like ... holy crap!

A couple signings that I found interesting:
* Claude Giroux to Ottawa ... No offense to the Sens but I thought I they were still rebuilding and not a good team? Did they become good recently?
* Darcy Kuemper to the Capitals ... seems weird for the #1 goalie for the team who just won the Stanley Cup to bolt for a different team.

I'm happy to see that Evander Kane re-signed with Edmonton. The Oilers came so close this year, really hoping they can get back there next season.

San Jose is hiring David Quinn as HC

If you enjoying not getting out of the 1st round of the playoffs (IF you get there) - then Quinn is your man

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

San Jose is hiring David Quinn as HC

If you enjoying not getting out of the 1st round of the playoffs (IF you get there) - then Quinn is your man

well, this would be both an improvement over the current state of affairs and a return to tradition so in that light I suppose it makes sense.

A lot of it depends on where the pick lands and how Huberdeau is heading into his 30s. Also who is the real Tkachuk? Is he a superstar that made the leap last year or was it a career year and he goes back to being the (very damn good) 60-70 point player?

Weegar is a decent player that I had hoped would find his way to the Jets the last couple years and I know nothing about Schwindt. I don't know if this solves Calgary's horrible no-good off-season but I think that's a great return considering their backs were to the wall.