DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing IV - 5/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

I didn’t even read any posts from A_K

I gotta say it was a good day

(no offense, couldn’t resist)

Be careful, his username will be red soon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

All kidding aside, I fully suspect tonight to go off without a hitch. The crowd reaction may be interesting but I'm not expecting any in-ring or results-related changes. I think this was just posturing a bit by MJF. It will get more interesting in the upcoming weeks, AEW does like to 'cycle off' wrestlers sometimes so my guess would be MJF will be off TV for a bit while they try to patch things up and get back on the same page.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Man my kids just want to see Wardlow fight MJF and Bryan Danielson do some shit. If I pay for this and Max no shows we're gonna be pissssssssed.

Also... for months now my kids call Wardlow  "Wardlow The Wizard." Because Wardlow sounds like some kind of great mage from Dungeons & Dragons. So if I slip and type that here - that's why.

I'm sure none of us will mind that, but Jericho may end up throwing a shitty fireball at you because of that, though! So, you know, be careful! Ask Eddie, he knows.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

He's in three of the best 1v1 straight wrestling matches in AEW's short history between Punk on Dynamite, Darby and Jungle on PPV. He is a great blend of old and new schools in the ring and while he doesn't always hit with his trolling, he's clearly a generational talent on the mic. 

The standards have clearly been lowered. He's ECW level of shock on the mic. That's where he is more Shane Douglas-like. 

The problem with MJF is that even with his momentum and overness- I don't see McMahon taking to him. People used to say he's the new Piper- but Piper had some size and a certain level of charm that even as a heel you digged. 

Vince would be far more interested in Wardlow than MJF as a long term investment. But if all that MJF wants is that 7 figure salary for a few years until he's a budget cut- good on him. Get in and get out with your neck intact.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I mean, 1991 babyface Greg Valentine was pretty awesome too:

But it's still more DVDVR awesome than random wrestling fan off the street awesome, so I was putting in some level of distinction there for the guy whose name sort of gives him away and that didn't seem to want to do the legwork. I'm sure as a 9-10 year old in 91-92 I didn't have a lot of use for Valentine either, but then I grew up.

Had a whole thing typed up trying to state my case, but I'm gonna go another way with it lol. If you can find a Prime Time Wrestling match from that era where heel Greg Valentine does more than chin locks & boot stomps I'll give it a go with fresh eyes. But he's got a whole lot to overcome to change my opinion. Including quite a few times of witnessing the dude be a straight up prick to kids he was working on indy shows.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

He struck me more as prime Black Bart, and I mean that as a tremendous compliment.

Great. Now I want to see a promo with Drake yelling "dadgum" about 40 times. Thanks a lot Stefanie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess if I had to give my final wager, I’d say that if MJF is still in Vegas, then it’s very likely they’ll work out a deal for him to appear on the show tonight. However, I think it’s also very likely this will be the last you see of him in AEW for quite some time, possibly ever. You just can’t build anything else around him until this is settled and everybody is happy again, if stunts like this are on the table now.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

I guess if I had to give my final wager, I’d say that if MJF is still in Vegas, then it’s very likely they’ll work out a deal for him to appear on the show tonight. However, I think it’s also very likely this will be the last you see of him in AEW for quite some time, possibly ever. You just can’t build anything else around him until this is settled and everybody is happy again, if stunts like this are on the table now.

Jeff Jarrett approves this message.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Had a whole thing typed up trying to state my case, but I'm gonna go another way with it lol. If you can find a Prime Time Wrestling match from that era where heel Greg Valentine does more than chin locks & boot stomps I'll give it a go with fresh eyes. But he's got a whole lot to overcome to change my opinion. Including quite a few times of witnessing the dude be a straight up prick to kids he was working on indy shows.

If you do a chinlock and boot stomp well enough, why would you ever, ever need to do anything else? It’s not what you do, it’s how you do it and how you use it and the story you can tell with it. There’s no middle ground to be found here between you and I, I’m afraid. But I’m happy to move on to the issue at hand. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Meltzer is reporting that as of a few minutes ago, MJF wasn't at the building.

Im telling ya’ll Sabu no showed Three Way Dance in 95 cuz he time traveled to today cuz he had something to do and that’s put Wardlow over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Wilson said:

TK going to use this as an excuse to delay the whole PPV until after the basketball game ends. Start time is now Midnight.

It’ll be like watching NJPW shows live.

5 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

TK going to use this as an excuse to delay the whole PPV until after the basketball game ends. Start time is now Midnight.

tenor.gif

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Oh dude. Valentine vs Ronnie Garvin. It's the beeeeessssstttt.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

If you do a chinlock and boot stomp well enough, why would you ever, ever need to do anything else? It’s not what you do, it’s how you do it and how you use it and the story you can tell with it. There’s no middle ground to be found here between you and I, I’m afraid. But I’m happy to move on to the issue at hand. 

There's nothing special or expert about Valentine's chinlocks or boot stomps. Listen I get having exceptional skills and staying in that lane because it's something you excel at. For example all of Lawler's best work are built around his incredible punches and his selling. That's only two things just like Chinlocks & boot stomps in this analogy. But Lawler was creative.. Lawler would give you interesting and new lead ins to spots around his big punches. Valentine was doing those two things not because he did them any better than anyone else, he spammed those two things because he was lazy and creatively bankrupt.

And we may just not agree on this one. That's okay. People can have different opinions and all that. But I just don't rate laziness and lack of creativity high on my scale of work.