DVDVR Message Board

DR. STRANGE 2 - SPOILERS THREAD - 5/6/2022

4 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I really hope a certain someone who was long part of the rumor mill isn't the actual casting for a certain male hero, as well.  I'm sick of him being in everything and I think he's shit casting for the character to begin with. 

???

Spoiler

I know he's in the Super-Pets movie, but is he really in everything? His Jack Ryan show has been taking up a lot of his time the last few years, and I'm fine with that. Haven't seen much of him post-Quiet Place. 

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

The Illuminati getting wasted by Wanda was effective in showing her power level and how lightly they were taking her as a threat; also MCU 616 strange may now be inspired to bring together his own version down the line. If Krasinski was a one and done I'm okay with it and that's fun as a nod the fan who have wanted it, it may be better to lock down a lesser known actor because you ideally want Reed in the MCU for the next decade plus

I would have howled if Wanda said "no more mutants" after offing Professor X

However, I do wish there had been a way to keep this version alive and bring him back as a the MCU version of The Maker.

The only death that really gutted me to see was Captain Carter because Hayley is just so amazing, and seeing her do the Cap line in live action while facing the kinda of impossible foes that Steve did got me in the feels

Incursions, we're 100000% getting secret wars, but I hope it's not til "Avengers" 7, you have to have Doom established. Also I'll call them twisting the story a bit and Wanda's redemption will be fixing the Universe at the end. She's gonna need a huge comeback (and she's not gonna be left buried under a mountain lol) 

thought strange got more of an arc that I expected. they did a nice job of hitting home that people are still questioning him over the decisions he made during Infinity War, and he's probably still wrestling with that guilt too

Elisabeth Olsen was amazing, I wouldn't have imagined what a major role Scarlet Witch would have back in Age of Ultron. She's elevated this so much

I think I saw someone on YT post this: but gosh, I hope young Franklin doesn't find out who murdered his dad...that kids kinda powerful...interested if we ever see the fall out on that Earth from what Wanda did. It'll probably go to shit and be overtaken by the Ultron bots (which were created by....who?) 

I'm just rambling I loved that movie so much, maybe the Raimi feel of it all isn't for everyone but it really a spooky breath of fresh air and I think he fit this story perfectly.

I'm not seeing a lot of talks bout Clea just popping up in the mid credits but hey, that was a deal! Dark Dimensions! what is going ooooon

Edited by ErinQuinn
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I really hope a certain someone who was long part of the rumor mill isn't the actual casting for a certain male hero, as well.  I'm sick of him being in everything and I think he's shit casting for the character to begin with. 

This is a little too vague for me, early in the day. Do you mean Dwayne? 

RT MCU ranking:

23. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022). 76%.

24. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015). 76% CF.

25. Iron Man 2 (2010). 72% CF.

26. The Incredible Hulk (2008). 67%.

27. Thor: The Dark World (2013). 66%.

28. Eternals (2021). 47%

Mine:

23. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017).

24. Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018).

25. Iron Man 3 (2013).

26. Iron Man 2 (2010).

27. Thor: The Dark World (2013).

28. The Incredible Hulk (2008).

Edited by The Natural

Finished this up around half an hour ago. thought it was pretty great overall. The cast was good. The horror aspects were there. They also did a good job actually hiding away the real plot in trailers and teasers.

America Chavez was pretty different from her comic version and far more likeable. I dug the relationship she built with Strange.

Wong was great, and its always a joy seeing him and Strange together. 

Spoiler

Was not expecting a full Wanda turn. I'm kind of surprised they went as far as they did, especially with the Vision out there in some form still. They made her as terrifying as as possible. As sad it was to see her fall so hard it was also pretty well done. 

The Illuminati stuff was well done. Loved the Xavier introduction using the 90s theme. Captain Carter was neat. A shame they were all killed so brutally. At the same time they kind of brought it on themselves by being the arrogant pricks we have seen the Illuminati be in the comics.

The Incursions getting brought up make me curious if they actually go full scale Hickman's Everything Ends and Secret Wars. Was neat seeing Theron appear as Clea.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 4

just back from the theater. i really liked the movie, but i don't think it will be a huge hit with audiences after the first weekend or two. a couple reasons for this, but most notably is the tonal shift and being very horror based. secondly because it's a very involved plot (multiverse shenanigans, wizards, and witches). hope i'm wrong.

going in, i had no idea what the plot of this movie was going to be. did not expect a full heel turn for Wanda. not familiar with America Chavez but liked her here.  Zombie Strange got a pop from me. felt good seeing Captain Carter.

loved the Bruce Campbell appearance as Pizza Poppa. 

the musical duel between the Drs. Strange was awesome. would love to see that scene again, or to hear the opinion of a music nerd.

already mentioned, but i also loved the 90s x-men animated theme playing when xavier appeared.

• Like 4

Monday matinee count: 5 people and counting. Thanks Regal for having showtime every 15 minutes. 

Post film edit I think final count was 6. 

“I give this film my highest rating: 7/10.”

Could have been worse. Think all the Raimi-ness kept it from being just another formulaic MCU movie. Certainly better than the last 2 or 3 movies, for sure. Olson did some great heel work.

Edited by odessasteps

I spend 20 minutes looking but I could not find anywhere online that listed the creators thanked in the credits, not even on IMDb. 

Rich said it was a long list, so I was curious who that might entail.

stan, ditko, Jack, Englehart, colan, Casey, whomever drew first America, Roy, Marv, Len. 

Sam Raimi's direction is my favorite thing about the movie. Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizabeth Olsen had strong performances.

I don't like the Multiverse. It's a one-trick gimmick, and it's novelty has already worn off. 

The cameos were fun for about 30 seconds. Worst possible way to introduce some of those characters. Simply awful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Sam Raimi's direction is my favorite thing about the movie. Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizabeth Olsen had strong performances.

I don't like the Multiverse. It's a one-trick gimmick, and it's novelty has already worn off. 

The cameos were fun for about 30 seconds. Worst possible way to introduce some of those characters. Simply awful.

People wanted Reed to show up in Wandavision as some scientist. Would that have been better or worse than jobbing to Wanda in 30 seconds here?

Don’t really see how it’s a bad thing that a Reed Richards from another Earth got bodied by Wanda. By the time the F4 movie comes out, people either won’t remember or won’t care that some other Reed Richards got shredded like cheese by the Scarlet Witch. Shit, I barely care now.

I’m more upset that they introduced Black Bolt into the MCU by way of this Earth and it’s Illuminati, thus meaning Inhumans are a thing at least on other Earths, but not in the sacred timeline supposedly?

Did they retcon the ABC show out of existence? I’m not that hip to the Inhumans, but I thought maybe they were using Bolt to reestablish him for a role in one of the Disney Plus shows this year.

I'm just dipping into the thread, but, and I take no pride in this, I had a friend find me "fan reaction" videos of the Illuminati reveal scene and the mid-credits scene. I still don't know the genesis of the plot or other surprises or how things end or anything else, but I decided if given the choice I'd rather see them than get spoiled by clickbait headlines that come to me that I can't avoid. My comics brain is too sharp not to connect dots with "Dr. Strange 2 used this 90s cartoon sting." I immediately knew what it was and probably how it was used so that was kind of the last straw for me.

There was at least one-two surprises on the Illuminati for me and I was totally surprised by the mid-credits reveal as I though they would have used a different Reed earlier and that Reed later on but things were leaking through and I don't regret my call. It'll probably be another 60 days before I can see this thing.

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

Did they retcon the ABC show out of existence? I’m not that hip to the Inhumans, but I thought maybe they were using Bolt to reestablish him for a role in one of the Disney Plus shows this year.

I hear there is a show coming up next month that could have used Black Bolt and the Inhumans if that was the case...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

Kinda.  The ABC shows (SHIELD, Agent Carter, and Inhumans) weren't done by Fiege and the MCU side of the house, so once Fiege got total control of all things Marvel after Inhumans bombed, the ABC stuff was moved into alternate timeline stuff (Laura being Mockingbird in Hawkeye and Kamala being cosmic and not Inhuman was kinda final nail in that coffin).

• Thanks 1

Netflix shows are up in the air until we see more, too. It’s hard to judge those based off Murdock and Kingpin showing up for like 40ish total minutes of screen time. Until they explicitly reference anything from the Defenders Saga, it’s not confirmed or anything.