DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

While different in so many ways I was getting All In vibes watching the show.  The crowd was molten and it was a wonderful display of companies working together to put on a stellar show.  I am incredibly hopeful and almost expect another show like this, especially to include those that were injured.  But a big part of me also wants to see AEW folks make their way to the G1.  Of course Danielson would be incredible there but him aside it's hard to narrow down who I would send over.

This also had me missing having NJPW World.  I signed back up but haven't gotten any subscription yet.  I need to see how things have been over there but I think it's time to check them out again.

• Like 3

I rarely rewatch wrestling, but I was having so much fun I'm half tempted to do so with this, feels like I missed a lot between the chatting, the drinking and the explaining.

My friend who has no time for post 90's wrestling (don't want to talk about him like a wacky sitcom character too much as he once made an account here just to ask a question about John Tenta. Hi Tom!) not only had a great time knocking back the beer and pizza on a Monday afternoon, but said he enjoyed the show itself. 

His main point of fascination was Minoru Suzuki's hair, plus he was very confused seeing current Jericho after months of  hearing Cornette describe him as a bloated wreck. Most interestingly, when Juice and Jay White had their backstage segment he immediately thought Juice was the main guy, and White was his generic lackey. Very surprised when I told him Jay was the IWGP Champ and Juice didn't even have a match. Not sure what to take from that, maybe Jay White needs to project more and Juice Robinson is a megastar in waiting, or maybe I'm just friends with a guy who rates wrestlers on cocaine crazed flamboyance first and cerebral heel work eleventh. He also quite liked the Bucks after years of hearing how they were the death of everything good in wrestling, I think because they were so punchable and had tassels.

• Like 6

Re-watched the main Forbidden Door matches in four roughly hour-long chunks. Marked out just as hard on the re-watch. Caught a bunch of stuff I missed while chatting with friends during my "live" viewing, and also noticed a lot of things that people pointed out in posts in this thread. Really really really enjoyed the whole show the second time through, particularly the JASuki Gun vs Yonkers Combat Club 6- man, Ospreay vs Orange, and ZSJ vs Alternative Bryan.

There is a very real chance that this is going to be one of those shows I can watch years and years from now and get a massive nostalgia rush. In that Canadian Stampede, Mania III, Bash '89, M-Pro These Days tier... maybe Dominion '18 would be the only other modern show with a chance of getting on my version of that list.

The mixed English/Japanese intros added something to this show for me, personally.

The Judas and Kaze ni nare sing-alongs were the ideal way to kick off the show. And the crowd marking out for Wheeler Yuta! How many of us could have picked him out of a line-up a year ago? Loved how Jericho used Suzuki to fight Kingston for him. They worked with "we have been watching our Toryumon tapes" speed and character work but also "we've been watching a Four Pillars comp" levels of stiffness(and character work). Awesome opener.

I marked out hardest for the three-way tag match, in kayfabe terms. FTR as ROH, AAA, and IWGP (heavyweight) Tag champs is too cool! Whether that was a planned storytelling beat or an improvised reaction to a legit injury, they played that perfectly. Shades of Canadian Stampede, and The Rock n Roll Express!

Miro and Malakai fighting over who gets to stomp Pac was pretty funny. Conners managing to stand out among this group was impressive. He's muscular, but he is in there with Miro (and Pac). He's intense, but he's in there with Black. He's athletic, but he's in there with Pac... Good on him! And on that crowd.

I had forgotten that JYD was one of the original Dudes With Attitudes. I was delighted when Kevin Kelly "stole" the Stingobernables joke. I had presumed this was gonna be the evening's craziest spot fest... but instead (or in addition) they went all in on character work. El-P with the Bux was too good. More of that, please! 

I liked how the arm work on Storm paid off in the finishing sequence! I loved how they just layed everything in on one another. I'd forgotten they were both ex-STARDOM.

The head games between Orange and Ospreay were so good. Thor pose. Hands in pockets. Kawada kicks. And reversals of reversals like they had been working together for years. They combined "fun" with "excellent" perfectly. More than I could have reasonably asked for. Then Shibata. Who could have foreseen Shibata having a real moment with Orange Cassidy? Pro wrestling is so great!

The fans in Chicago reacting instantly to Shibata's music, then doing the same for Claudio. So cool. The fans' reaction to Claudio, and his reactions to that, were almost as enjoyable as the actual wrestling. Which was great. The UFO counter into an armbar, spilling out of the ring, and leading to that insane strength spot. What an all-time great and memorable sequence that was!

The crowd just freaked out for Okada. I think I get it. Like the first time I came to Japan and saw Misawa live. My pick for the greatest living wrestler, at that time. I think a lot of people felt like that, like they couldn't believe they were getting to see The Greatest live and in person. But even this crowd wasn't going to pop for the money clip. 

Jon Moxley is one of several prominent Americans who suffer from Mysterious Bloody Forehead Syndrome. It's weird that seeing Mox dripping (forbidden) gore seemed to get the crowd more behind Tanahashi. Hell of a main event, and Claudio cleaning house and paying off the crowd's patience by putting a giant swing on Ange was a fitting end to a PPV that we might still be talking about years from now.

Also,.Ortiz looks good with his head shaved!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gordlow said:

The head games between Orange and Ospreay were so good. Thor pose. Hands in pockets. Kawada kicks. And reversals of reversals like they had been working together for years. They combined "fun" with "excellent" perfectly. More than I could have reasonably asked for. Then Shibata. Who could have foreseen Shibata having a real moment with Orange Cassidy? Pro wrestling is so great!

I just realized the arch-typical dynamic of the match.  When one is in high school, you have athletic alpha males and some of them are jerks.  When one is in high school, there are guys who smoke cigarettes with each other during lunch and talk about Metal.  There is always one guy among the smokers who is a freakish athlete who plays slot receiver and short stop until the coach kicks him off the team for attitude problems.  That's what this match was.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, DEAN said:

I just realized the arch-typical dynamic of the match.  When one is in high school, you have athletic alpha males and some of them are jerks.  When one is in high school, there are guys who smoke cigarettes with each other during lunch and talk about Metal.  There is always one guy among the smokers who is a freakish athlete who plays slot receiver and short stop until the coach kicks him off the team for attitude problems.  That's what this match was.

Well now I relate to this match on a level I’d not considered before.  (Except for the freakish athlete part).

?

• Like 1

I got around  up to main event, around until Mox started bleeding(in three parts), even managed to get in Rampage and first five matches on Monday, staying awake after the 16h shift at work. 

Yeah, this was really good, huh?

Opener was excellent, impressed with Shota. Yuta, too.

3-way tag was crazy. I almost thought that Roppongi pulled it off there, but when the finisher got two, I figured that was as close as they were going to get. Cobb was a destroyer on this one. FTR wins big. I hope Dax isn't really hurt that seriously. Well, it's going around these days!

Sting keeps on giving us crazy stuff and being awesome! It just pisses me off that Jeff Hardy was kinda on similar track, but pissed it all away again, oh well, bygones. Match was crazy. The Paul Orndorff elbow-inspired back rake was nuts! Nipple cripple was boss! The actual wrestling parts were, too!

Glad that PAC won the title, but was liking Connors' generic wrestling game player one thing he had going on. I'm a sucker for those, anyway.

Very impressed with Osprey. OC was pulling out some insane stuff as well. This was breath-taking at times and I was not sure at all that they were gonna mesh, but apparently, they were magic together. At the end, OC was like "Shibata is my homie".

Women's match had four big time moves in a row, only punctuated by one near fall. It took a lot to pin Storm, but still pretty dominant win by Rosa here. I thought I saw something heelish in her, despite the show of respect at the end.

I had to watch Claudio vs ZSJ twice, to see if poor junior got squashed as badly as it seemed on the first go. I guess not, but I hope he gets something out of making Claudio look that strong in his debut.

Jay White was impressive in the 4 way, I'm always there for Hangman, but I may have missed something on Okada. I've only ever seen the Scurill match from All In prior to this, but this did not leave me all to excited.

Didn't finish the Mox v Tanahashi yet, but so far so good. I guess I need to check out Buy In as well.

• Like 1

For AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door PPV, I'd go:

Suzuki/Jericho/Guevara vs. Kingston/Yuta/Umino: ****1/2.

#FTR vs. Romero/Barretta vs. O'Khan/Cobb: ****1/4.

PAC vs. Miro vs. Black vs. Connors: ****1/4.

Sting/Allin/Takagi vs. M. Jackson/N. Jackson/Phantasmo: ****1/2.

Rosa vs. Storm: ****.

Ospreay vs. Cassidy: ****1/2.

Castagnoli vs. Sabre Jr: ****1/2.

White vs. Okada vs. Page vs. Cole: ****1/4.

Moxley vs. Tanahashi: ****1/2.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Jon Moxley at the post AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door press conference:

FWdmejyXkAAjzi-?format=jpg&name=medium

TAFKA Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins vs. TAFKA Cesaro/Sheamus at No Mercy 2017. One of the best WWE matches that year. Cesaro getting through that is one of the toughest things I've ever seen since watching wrestling regularly as a five year old. So nasty.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2