DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

So two four ways, a three way tag, 2 trios, and an eight man tag. This kinda has the feel of one of those "get everyone on the card" wrestlemanias

I generally hate 3 and 4 ways (looking at you Impact Wrestling), but this was to be expected and was well discussed here on DVDVR from the get go. Getting more ppl on the card would certainly have been a factor, but so too safely booking for polictical interests. It feels necessary to get that first show out of the way and be sure that everybody can play fair for the future 'real' dream match style PPV. It's unfortunate how injuries played such a huge part in all this, but whatever the case there was going to be lots of red tape. I'm fully with @EVA's thought that the performers on this card are undoubtedly going to be bringing their best this eve. I don't mind losing a couple bodies from the Bucks match. Prefer a six man. Tho, Hiromu would've been fun, Hikuleo was unnecessary. I feel no loss from Punk to Moxley vs. Tanahashi. Danielson is a loss, but can't say I'll be too sad seeing Claudio and ZSJ lock horns. I completely expected this style of card with lots of multi-man bouts, so I'm just as excited for this show as I was in the beginning. Also, I think I might prefer a card that has a chance to overdeliver - kinda rare in this Elite promotion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Ordered this show because fuck this date. The fucking worst of my life losing my much missed Mum eight years ago. "What's Going On?" is locked so I can only say this here. Today's been really fucking bad. Fuck.

Love you, buddy. Enjoy the show and take care of yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope everyone who ordered the show will find it at least worth the money spent, preferrably much more. I may begin to watch it Wednesday, since I still have Rampage to get through before that. Have fun, I'll go to work in a few hours and try to avoid spoilers for a few days.

I'm surprised KENTA didn't find a spot somewhere on the card here. I feel like he's a big enough name, has worked AEW previously, and while I know he was shouting for a GTS match with Punk - did seem open to the idea of at least wrestling on the show.

I've kind of hit a lull in my wrestling fandom the last month or two, and with Punk and Danielson off the card and no real investment by me in the NJPW side, I can't justify shelling out for this. Especially since I have to work in the morning and AEW has no idea how to budget their PPV time.

Perhaps if I hear good things and/or the mystery guest is interesting, I might order it on a replay. Only Mox and OC's matches have me really interested.

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I'm surprised KENTA didn't find a spot somewhere on the card here. I feel like he's a big enough name, has worked AEW previously, and while I know he was shouting for a GTS match with Punk - did seem open to the idea of at least wrestling on the show.

I think I heard that it was touch and go whether he'd be fit in time for G1, so being on this card nearly a month beforehand might not have been the best plan.

• Like 1

This was a jam-up hot take from Maffew Botchamania on the Facebook: 

I think the show's biggest issue (more so than the injuries) is the build being little more than "hey it's these guys vs. these guys and they'll have a good match" rather than NJPW vowing to prove they're the real King Of Sports or something. I'm sure there'll be plenty of nice matches but some story or heat would be nice. Have Tanahashi vow to get revenge on AEW for Omega (allegedly) using NJPW cameras to film stuff for All In all those years ago or threaten to have Toru Yano beat Moxley yet again or have proud NJPW wrestler Onita walk out smoking a cigarette mocking them for the explosion match etc.

? He's got a point...

• Like 1

Let’s fucking gooooooo!!!!

I’m so ready for this shit.

Yeah, the build is more awkward than a 12 year old boy taking a group photo with the Swedish Bikini Team.  This may or not be a true story.

But Okada and Tanahashi are going to be performing on a big stage on PPV in the United States.  They are awesome.  I love awesome.  More of that.

Mox is winning here because nothing is stopping him from becoming The Man in 2022.  But my heart would soar if Tanahashi pulls it off in a come from behind victory in a match that delivers his reputation of quality to any newcomers.  

Edited by Brandon Bones
  • Like 3

Very excited for the card tonight, regardless of the names that we aren't getting. I like the idea of it being a battle for "King of Sports" and hope maybe they dig a little deeper for some sprt of a backstory either tonight or in the near future. 

Early prediction for MOTN is going to be OC/Ospreay with the triple threat tag title not too far behind. I fully expect Orange Cassidy to get an excellent showing tonight but lose, whereas I'm all in on FTR taking the IWGP Tag Team titles leading to another winner takes all match with the Bucks. 

Speaking of the Bucks, I see them losing to the Dudes with Phantasmo taking the fall leading to more "strife" between the Bullet Club and Undisputed Elite. Jay White I'm expecting to retain, probably by pinning Cole to further that storyline without Hangman or Okada eating an L directly. 

Toni Storm and Thunder Rosa is another sleeper match for this card that is one of the few toss ups to me. TK likes his long title reigns and rightfully so, but Storm is firing on all cylinders right now. Take me to a Storm/Hayter title feud please ?

I still haven't gotten to ZSJ's world class mystery opponent who I expect to be Claudio. This is such a tough situation with Blood and Guts looming, because I'm firmly in the camp ZSJ NEEDS to go over here, so I'd like some Taichi interference (bonus points for Miho Abe too) to cost whoever it is this mystery opponent may be.

All-Atlantic title match is another sleeper for me. Color me interested in seeing what Clark Connors can do with the big boys of AEW. There's only one right choice for the winner in this match and that's the Redeemer, probably pinning the aforementioned Connors. 

Jericho, Sammy, and Suzuki versus Kingston, Wheeler Yuta, and Shota Umino will probably be solid. I'd be lying if I said I don't really care too much about this match outside of team Kingston, and even then it's just for my unwavering love of Eddie. So, yeah, go BCC + Shooter.

AEW Interm World title, a match that I should be more excited for than I am. The build for this match has been years in the making, but going off the past few weeks and how the title got here with Punks injury, this had to get tossed together last minute. Either way, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that both of these veterans are going to give Chicago a match to remember. Moxley will probably win here as I don't think realistically the AEW World champ will be competing in the G1, but who knows. It's pro wrestling and this is why we watch!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, (BP) said:

If I was producing this thing I’d have Maki Itoh sing over an in memoriam segment paying tribute to every wrestler pulled from this show.

This is why I woulda kept Marko Stunt. The two of them dueting over "Adam's Song" in front of whatever American chain restaurant the Japanese talent are geeking about on Twitter, while a Punk-We-Hardly-Knew-Ya Powerpoint drifts in and out... you're beating the hockey ratings with that.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it's Powerpoints you want, you also bring in Super Sasadango Machine/Muscle Sakai. 

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I generally hate 3 and 4 ways (looking at you Impact Wrestling), but this was to be expected and was well discussed here on DVDVR from the get go. Getting more ppl on the card would certainly have been a factor, but so too safely booking for polictical interests. It feels necessary to get that first show out of the way and be sure that everybody can play fair for the future 'real' dream match style PPV. It's unfortunate how injuries played such a huge part in all this, but whatever the case there was going to be lots of red tape. I'm fully with @EVA's thought that the performers on this card are undoubtedly going to be bringing their best this eve. I don't mind losing a couple bodies from the Bucks match. Prefer a six man. Tho, Hiromu would've been fun, Hikuleo was unnecessary. I feel no loss from Punk to Moxley vs. Tanahashi. Danielson is a loss, but can't say I'll be too sad seeing Claudio and ZSJ lock horns. I completely expected this style of card with lots of multi-man bouts, so I'm just as excited for this show as I was in the beginning. Also, I think I might prefer a card that has a chance to overdeliver - kinda rare in this Elite promotion.

I agree that 3/4 way matches are best when used extremely sparingly like any gimmick match. I'd change the IWGP match to a White/Cole v. Okada/Hangman tag and use that to set something up down the road.

Also I'd drop Trent and Rocky from the tag title match. Them being their feel very third wheel.

And I love a big multiman tag match but don't need a bunch of them up and down the card

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Very excited for the card tonight, regardless of the names that we aren't getting. I like the idea of it being a battle for "King of Sports" and hope maybe they dig a little deeper for some sprt of a backstory either tonight or in the near future. 

Early prediction for MOTN is going to be OC/Ospreay with the triple threat tag title not too far behind. I fully expect Orange Cassidy to get an excellent showing tonight but lose, whereas I'm all in on FTR taking the IWGP Tag Team titles leading to another winner takes all match with the Bucks. 

Speaking of the Bucks, I see them losing to the Dudes with Phantasmo taking the fall leading to more "strife" between the Bullet Club and Undisputed Elite. Jay White I'm expecting to retain, probably by pinning Cole to further that storyline without Hangman or Okada eating an L directly. 

Toni Storm and Thunder Rosa is another sleeper match for this card that is one of the few toss ups to me. TK likes his long title reigns and rightfully so, but Storm is firing on all cylinders right now. Take me to a Storm/Hayter title feud please ?

I still haven't gotten to ZSJ's world class mystery opponent who I expect to be Claudio. This is such a tough situation with Blood and Guts looming, because I'm firmly in the camp ZSJ NEEDS to go over here, so I'd like some Taichi interference (bonus points for Miho Abe too) to cost whoever it is this mystery opponent may be.

All-Atlantic title match is another sleeper for me. Color me interested in seeing what Clark Connors can do with the big boys of AEW. There's only one right choice for the winner in this match and that's the Redeemer, probably pinning the aforementioned Connors. 

Jericho, Sammy, and Suzuki versus Kingston, Wheeler Yuta, and Shota Umino will probably be solid. I'd be lying if I said I don't really care too much about this match outside of team Kingston, and even then it's just for my unwavering love of Eddie. So, yeah, go BCC + Shooter.

AEW Interm World title, a match that I should be more excited for than I am. The build for this match has been years in the making, but going off the past few weeks and how the title got here with Punks injury, this had to get tossed together last minute. Either way, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that both of these veterans are going to give Chicago a match to remember. Moxley will probably win here as I don't think realistically the AEW World champ will be competing in the G1, but who knows. It's pro wrestling and this is why we watch!

I would have given you a 'thanks' trophy if you had also covered the pre-show.

Pretty much agree with all of your predictions, but I am holding on to my longshot call that Substitute Dragon will be someone lesser known but awesome enough to win the crowd over by the end of the ZSJ match. Or Sibata. It won't be Shibata. But imagine Shibata in Blackpool Combat Club.

• Like 3

Fightful sent out an update that is 99% positive a spoiler for the mystery man. So, if you're wanting to go in untainted, maybe avoid social media until after the show.

I would certainly hope nobody on here would post it. Not even in a spoiler box because most of us do not have restraint. 

• Like 1