DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 4/20/22

The Natural

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Is Britt normally this shaky and nervous on live promos?  The best part was when she threatened to "wipe your face with the mat."  I was hoping she'd also say her opponent had matched their meet.  Why do yinzers wave those towels at thin

That was an AWFUL promo with bad delivery. The Ruby Soho line about her looking like "one of the Little Rascals" had to be written by someone else (someone old, as even the LR reboot movie came out when she was only 3 years old) because it was such an old-fashioned, awkwardly delivered insult with no reaction from the crowd whatsoever. 

I really like the KOR mini-push. I think he's actually underrated, playing a slightly different wrestling character and is always fun in the ring. I actually thought WWE might use him as a sort-of poor man's Daniel Bryan when the latter was on his way out the door and KOR was breaking away from Cole.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, caley said:

That was an AWFUL promo with bad delivery. The Ruby Soho line about her looking like "one of the Little Rascals" had to be written by someone else (someone old, as even the LR reboot movie came out when she was only 3 years old) because it was such an old-fashioned, awkwardly delivered insult with no reaction from the crowd whatsoever.

Word.  "looks like a character from Bob's Burgers" is way more topical and on the money.

• Like 5

I really like Mark Sterling as the sleazy lawyer all the heels use.

Regal was great on commentary getting everyone a bit over in the match, and maybe its just me but AEW commentary in general has gotten a lot better lately especially JR.

King Switch comes across as such a star.

I get people wanting to see Andrade win a feud but the coffin match is Darbys specialty and I would imagine they want to keep him undefeated in it  

HOB deserves better than a long running feud with Feugo Del Sol

Edited by zendragon
  • Like 4

Before everyone starts piling on saying, "HURRRR RATINGZ ARE DOWN THEY NEED TO DO SOMETHING" they're going up against the NBA playoffs. They're lucky it was also a slow news week...so far anyway (and hopefully it stays that way).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Nielsen TV numbers for 4/20:

Viewership: 930,000

Rating: 0.37

Dynamite ranked No. 4 behind Playoffs and Inside the NBA.

Ehhhh, KINDA CLOSE.

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Before everyone starts piling on saying, "HURRRR RATINGZ ARE DOWN THEY NEED TO DO SOMETHING" they're going up against the NBA playoffs. They're lucky it was also a slow news week...so far anyway (and hopefully it stays that way).

Seriously.  930k against the NBA is good, right? 

• Like 2

I'm rewatching last night's show and I didn't notice Wheeler Yuta just fucking KILLING Brock Anderson with a dropkick.  Here you go.

• Like 7

I would think staying safely above 900k against the NBA playoffs (specifically Nets/Celtics, the most hyped first round series) is pretty decent.

I also think KoR going over Jungle Boy clean was the right call. The Elite was right that they've been taking a lot of Ls lately, so giving Cole and KoR a couple tournament match wins should help their cred. Plus, there was the nice post-match bit where Christian was low-key pissed at JB for not honoring a Canadian hero, so it advances that story as well.

• Like 3

Dustin vs Punk was really solid straight up wrestling.

MJF coming up with nice plan that didn't exactly pan out. His message to Wardlow via Sterling was choice. Did Mark wait until the handcuffs were on, before delivering the said message? I mean, I would have!

Jake Roberts has found the perfect client! Archer said he doesn't care about the money! Heenan and  Slick would be climbing over each other to manage someone like that! Who do you think ended up picking the money up in the end?

KOR with a big win! And escaped the Snare Trap as well! Jungle Boy will bounce back.

Will Eddie finally take out Garcia next week, when it's just the two of them!?

Blackpool Combat Club kicked assume once more. What happens when they run into House of Black?

FTR explodes for one night! Shades of Gargano/Ciampa CWC!

Forbidden Door PPV, and Cole and Jay White ruining the announcement like they own the whole shit! Cold, man!

Sting in a Sting mask was awesome! I was just thinking that Allin need his backup, and there he was! Yeah, Allin needed this win!

Holy shit are Sammy and Tay going all out with their "subtle" heeling! They will NOT leave this opportunity unused!

Hook vs Nese will be something. Has Danhausen actually witnessed his curse working or does he just assume that bad things happen straight afterwards? I mean, maybe it was all just a coincidence? Or, the not giving a single, solitary fuck is actually the antidote?

Oh, and DMD qualified to OHFT! No surprise there.

Yeah, what can I say? Once more, very good episode!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

HOB deserves better than a long running feud with Feugo Del Sol

My only guess here is you don't watch Rampage and haven't seen this House of Black-Fuego series?  This is a truly 'Fight Forever (clap clap)' moment.  The Blackpool Combat Club etc. can 'hold their horses', Fuego ain't dead yet.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I would think staying safely above 900k against the NBA playoffs (specifically Nets/Celtics, the most hyped first round series) is pretty decent.

I also think KoR going over Jungle Boy clean was the right call. The Elite was right that they've been taking a lot of Ls lately, so giving Cole and KoR a couple tournament match wins should help their cred. Plus, there was the nice post-match bit where Christian was low-key pissed at JB for not honoring a Canadian hero, so it advances that story as well.

Tell the Turner folks they get 930K against live playoff games and they should be really happy. They have the top two running cable shows at the same time from 8 to 10 eastern  - its a really good night. 

• Like 4

Wardlow coming to the ring in handcuffs, and not wrestling until security unlocks him? So, in a few week's time, once they've established the pattern, his opponent will attack him while he's still handcuffed. And THAT is when he'll snap them apart in an unprecedented display of strength.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

As much as I value JB higher than KOR, I think this was the first time they announced Kyle from Vancouver (first time I realised he was Canadian anyway) and that made me think Jack was taking the loss here. 

Nice to get some recognition that Canadians are invincible.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Hook vs Nese will be something. Has Danhausen actually witnessed his curse working or does he just assume that bad things happen straight afterwards? I mean, maybe it was all just a coincidence? Or, the not giving a single, solitary fuck is actually the antidote?

In his Unrestricted with Tony and Aubrey he kind admitted the curse isn't really a thing but if you point at someone enough they usually get worried about something 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Finally able to watch, started last night at the hospital but only match I could pay attention to was Dustin-Punk, and had to leave during JB-KOR.

anyway, the opener was everything I wanted in a wrestling match between those 2. Old school AF, but with some big newer moves towards the end. Thinking Dustin might actually be on his last ride, which means I may get to see his last match live, since it will assuredly be in Austin.

BCC vs the random dudes who could be the next member (even though Danielson named Moriarty in his original promo) was better when I could pay more attention and hear Regal and the others put Martin and all over. I was a little salty that Dante had to technically eat the submission when they’ve been building him some recently (and when Brock is right there), but that’s my fandom talking.

JB vs. KOR was the surprise great match of the night. I am on team “the right guy went over”. Looked like Jungle Boy may have knocked one of Kyle’s teeth out, definitely bloodied his mouth.

Hook continues to be dangerous and also still hasn’t sold a fucking thing. I’m worried for Danhausen.

As Dean said, Britt got the memo that the women’s tournament is stiff (and also competitive).  Speaking of stiff, fumbling your promo where you’re bragging about being the best promo in the women’s division is not the look you want. They’re obviously building to Britt-Jade (The Baddest Bitch vs. That Bitch, in the battle of originality).

Main event...FUCKING STING DOING CRAZY DIVES!!!! I love him, always have, but “killing yourself for our pleasure” is not meant literally. Same goes for Darby, we need to enjoy him while he have him. He needs to not do things like do an unprotected headfirst dive into a chair wedged in the corner. He also cracked his skull pretty good on the coffin at the end. Also, we saw shirtless buff Jose late last year, how soon y’all forget.

I’m sure I’m forgetting things, obviously the NJPW announcement was great (although Adam Cole meh), Kingston was great, Wardlow’s backstage stuff was great...oh yeah Wardlow Butcher was just huge dudes hitting each other hard until Wardlow tries to end Andy’s wrestling career with brutal power bombs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hey, can we get the male wrestlers to stop using "bitch" as the go-to insult for each other?  Besides the misogyny and the overuse, Jade Cargill is over here using it to refer to herself in a positive/strong manner.

Cargill also uses it to denigrate her opponents. She used it against Shafir just last night.

This is an old complaint but whoever times these shows needs to do better, this isn't even the first big gimmick main event in the past few months where it felt like they had to go "fuck it, just do any sort of finish now!" in order to sneak in under the time limit.

• Like 4

Agree 100%

They just need to SLOW DOWN and let shit breathe.

The announcement of Dax v Cash should have been a 'moment', maybe with a backstage skit showing them having their names drawn against each other.

Cut the Hook segment, put that on Rampage, and everything has a few extra seconds.

They'll have the same issue on Rampage. We don't need Archer v Serpentico right before we get Archer v Wardlow. That squash will eat up 5-10 minutes (inc entrances) that could be used to pace the show better.

• Like 2