DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 4/13/2022

The Natural

3 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Knowing the guys he has in the back and their propensity for trying to WWE everything it would be Mark Henry. Although the lights isn't a WWE thing... I will always think of ECW when the lights go out. But ECW also knew to use it for big freaking deals... nothing will ever top Lawler.

Goddamn that was a hot angle. Real Memphis heat in Philly. Damn, I just gave myself goosebumps thinking about it.

And now rhat I think about Lawler... MJF isn't modern day Piper... Piper was threatening. MJF is modern day Lawler. 

TK isn't too far in the game to really know how to book heat. 

Amen to all of that.  I honestly can't think of one bad ECW lights out?  In less than three years I can think of a few that didn't work in AEW.  Most of them even.  The Malakai Black lights out debut was pretty great.  I mean, minus Excalibur's foolish commentary.  But yeah it'll be hard to top the Lawler debut.  Tho, I'm sure the conversation would also include the Taz-Sabu confrontation and the return of the Sandman.  

33 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Apologies for the confusion I thought it was pretty clear and simple that I was referring to your quote: "I ultimately take responsibility, but somebody with 30 years experience belongs under that bus."

Oh, you took me as meaning to literally be representing that as his words? Right after sharing his actual quote? Rather than me just having a laugh? Weird mistake to make, but thank you for clarifying. LOL

I also wasn't looking to for a reason to feel provoked.    

Did you realize it's possible to have a critical reading of someone's comments without actively looking for a reason to be provoked? Or does your defense of the rich man with the TV show you like require you to read malicious intent into anyone side-eyeing your boy? 

Maybe you were looking for a reason to feel provoked by my earlier post. Maybe you should stop looking for a reason to feel provoked. That's how this works, right? Am I doing this right? It's your game, so I'm happy to take notes from the master of this flimsy rhetorical device. 

Oh sorry, yeah must've been somebody else posting in multiple threads trying to stir up discourse over the bots talk.  And to be fair you were just the first to report on this one.  Surely somebody else would have found a way to be angry about Tony openly discussing an agent bringing this idea to him as something to be upset about.  You're right, Twice isn't yet a weekly basis.    

Your ability to take be overly-defensive on behalf of a public figure's public comments being shared and discussed is world class. Also, there you go again reading into things: "Angry." "Upset." Perhaps you're experiencing other people's feelings as being so heightened says more about your engaging with those voices than what those voices are really expressing. 

Anyway, I didn't "report" on anything. I shared someone else's reporting of the guy's actual words. Following some joking the previous page about how the whole situation might have gone down, you can't say his words aren't relevant to the things being discussed in this thread. I'm sorry that you don't care for how I took the things he said. But taking him at his word and sharing said words in a relevant thread is hardly a burial or some hardcore knives-out stuff. 

But that's enough message board sniping for me today. The floor is yours to get in whatever final word you'd like while people carry on with their rassle talk. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

And there's only so many 30 year vets in that company. It's not hard to figure out which individuals he could be talking about. I'm sure those individuals are thrilled about people speculating on their failures when their boss could have just not said that in public. But Tony pays well, so of course those people should be cool with him using them to deflect some degree of criticism. 

Tony would really do well to be less accessible sometimes.

This is true but he also told somebody on twitter that demanded he hired somebody experienced to book AEW that they should hire "this ratio" so that was probably the coolest thing he's ever said. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

while people carry on with their rassle talk. 

I'M GONNA HOLD MY BREATH UNTIL THEY PUT THE BELT ON POWERHOUSE HOBBS!!!

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
Just now, John from Cincinnati said:

Team Taz finally got a win on TV, they're good for six months. 

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

This is true but he also told somebody on twitter that demanded he hired somebody experienced to book AEW that they should hire "this ratio" so that was probably the coolest thing he's ever said. 

I'm already in enough trouble for rolling my eyes at him, don't you dare try to make me engage with that. ?

45 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Oh, you took me as meaning to literally be representing that as his words? Right after sharing his actual quote? Rather than me just having a laugh? Weird mistake to make, but thank you for clarifying. LOL

Did you realize it's possible to have a critical reading of someone's comments without actively looking for a reason to be provoked? Or does your defense of the rich man with the TV show you like require you to read malicious intent into anyone side-eyeing your boy? 

Maybe you were looking for a reason to feel provoked by my earlier post. Maybe you should stop looking for a reason to feel provoked. That's how this works, right? Am I doing this right? It's your game, so I'm happy to take notes from the master of this flimsy rhetorical device. 

Your ability to take be overly-defensive on behalf of a public figure's public comments being shared and discussed is world class. Also, there you go again reading into things: "Angry." "Upset." Perhaps you're experiencing other people's feelings as being so heightened says more about your engaging with those voices than what those voices are really expressing. 

Anyway, I didn't "report" on anything. I shared someone else's reporting of the guy's actual words. Following some joking the previous page about how the whole situation might have gone down, you can't say his words aren't relevant to the things being discussed in this thread. I'm sorry that you don't care for how I took the things he said. But taking him at his word and sharing said words in a relevant thread is hardly a burial or some hardcore knives-out stuff. 

But that's enough message board sniping for me today. The floor is yours to get in whatever final word you'd like while people carry on with their rassle talk. 

Very on brand with the self satisfying assumptions and needless personal attacks.  As for the actual point I attempted to raise, well, I'm pretty satisfied with what I've already presented.  Best wishes!    

Edited by HarryArchieGus

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Can we all just agree that it kind of sucks that they're most likely going to job Jamie Hayter?

Hayter >>>> Storm. They have talented women in their division just chilling. What's going on with Shida vs. Deeb blowoff match? I guess if they booked Shida semi-regularly she wouldn't feel the need to go back and forth between America and Japan. Riho when available was used practically once in the past year for anything meaningful. 

Damn, Storm and Hayter are still both 26. Lots of time to develop.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Can we all just agree that it kind of sucks that they're most likely going to job Jamie Hayter?

Not sure how the brackets are going to go for the tournament but I was hoping when they announced Baker being in a qualifying match that the end game would be Baker vs Hayter which would lead to their split. 

18 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Riho when available was used practically once in the past year for anything meaningful. 

glad to see TK has ACKNOWLEDGED ME, Riho is the worst. Now let's get Emi outta here, yesss ?

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Can somebody clue me in to the capitalized "DR" in ReDRagon's name?  I think it's a Davey Richards reference?  Or they just really like taking backups of their servers.  It's gotta be on of those.  Note: this joke is just for @J.T.

HA~!

Nope.  They capitalized DR because there were a lot of workers stylizing their shoot names and they thought it looked cool. 

I think that Bobby Fish was also something of a skate rat or he was at least interested in skater culture, because he was reading through a magazine and saw an advertisement for Red Dragon Skate Apparel and thought "red dragon" would be an awesome name for a heel tag team.

RoH set up O'Reilly with the reDRagon gimmick to break him away from Davey Richards, especially since Richards was currently on a roll with Eddie Edwards as the American Wolves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually kinda, sorta... liked the ending.

* ducks *

I know, I know but hear me out.

The one thing that AEW don't have is that freaky giant attraction. Yes, their brand is built primarily on workrate/strong style but they also have a great blend of US, Lucha & Euro wrestlers that bring a different flavour to TV.

Having a 7 foot brick on the roster isn't the worst thing in the world. He's visually impressive (seriously LOOK at the dude next to Dutt) and as long as he's passable in the ring then there's no harm, no foul right?

I could also see most of that feud playing out on ROH TV, with the intro on AEW being used to tease people over to watch that programming as well.

At worst he's a "Monster of the Season" for Joe to choke out. At best he has some skills and he develops and grows into a credible midcard attraction.

• Like 1

They could've ditched the "lights out" and the segment would've improved dramatically. Just have Giant Dude enter through the crowd and come up behind Joe while he's distracted by Lethal and Dutt. 

• Like 3

I think the complaints are more execution than "ugh, a big guy." I like big guys. I'm happy he's here and I'm looking forward to seeing what he has. Some people will disagree on that, but yeah the thrust of the discontent seems to be trying to heighten expectations following what some saw as a "dream match" main event and failing to live up to those post-match lights-out expectations. And the discontent is only amplified by the reality that this company is generally more effective on meeting their audience where they are than this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1