DVDVR Message Board

2022 NBA OFFSEASON

Brian Fowler

The Process was doomed from the start. There was a giant culture war among Sixers fans when this whole thing started. At first, I was on board. But then when I attended a 50-point loss to a Spurs team that sat out all of its good players, I was off. 

To think:

1) Constructing a team built to lose as many games as possible is not a good way to build a team culture or accountability. It's also a fucking insult to fans.

2) The first trade that jumped this off was trading a 23-year-old Jrue Holiday on what I remember being a pretty good contract for an All-Star for Nerlens Noel and some other forgettable draft pick. What a judge of talent -- giving up a sure-thing young player for an unknown draft pick who was best known for trashing his suburban condo. 

3) The great first-round picks of Jahlil Okafor and Markelle Fultz, when Tatum was right there.

4) Hinkie Truthers being apoplectic that the NBA installed Jerry Colangelo to provide oversight on the franchise... as opposed to people being pissed that the organization was so bad that the league felt a need to intervene.

5) All things Ben Simmons. Babied him from the start and he fell apart completely.

6) Burnergate. Not the best look to put Bryan Colangelo in as GM, although he did have a competent background putting together the Suns and course-correcting when at Toronto after Bargnani busted (although he wasn't nearly as bad as remembered.) But the burner... ugh.

7) Jimmy Butler was an absolute perfect match for this team and Philly as a city. PERFECT. And for all of the drama he brings... he's a serious basketball player. His antics are just being pissy when other people don't show up or when he's openly critical of coaches. He would have made this clown show of a team grow the f up. And Philly would absolutely have opened a Bigface Coffee by now.

8 ) The entire disaster that was Ben Simmons. He needed to be more than The Greatest Role Player of All-Time. That's actually a good player to have, but he needed to actually do more than have his people show stupid videos of him practicing shooting and actually shoot. I also want to be sensitive about mental health because I have my own struggles and so do many people in my family... but man the fuck up and stop using that as an excuse to get paid. There's a difference between having clinical bipolar depression and trauma and crapping the bed at the free throw line. Shaq and Giannis crapped the bed at the free throw line and still found ways to be awesome. 

There are so many other stupid things. Trading hometown hero Bridges. Drafting a guy who nearly died from a sesame seed allergy. Ugh.

I hate this team.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I like that Simmons got two different bullet points on Gregg's list

The whole experience was so maddening. Bewildering. 

On a separate note, I tried but was unable to tour his South Jersey mansion when it was up for sale. I would say that I reached the deep state of talks to be able to do so before a friend of mine who is an attorney told me to absolutely not go forward with my mission. 

BTW, looking at the FA list of this off-season, once you get past LaVine, maybe Beal, and Trez, it is fucking dire.   It's all the people who cashed in hard on the big bounce up in '18 and none of whom worked out.  

That said, I'm fully expecting the Knicks starting 5 next year to be Harden, Wall, Randle, Ibaka, and Thad Young.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

So, Harden had a history of getting fat in the off season and then getting back into shape and having MVP seasons and at the strip club every single night.  So, theoretically, he busts his ass, gets back into shape, quits going out every night (maybe only 2-3 times a week?), can he have a Chris Paul-like renaissance (nevermind that Paul's about to blow another playoff series to the fucking Mavs)?

I don't know.  I think if he doesn't get the super super max from Philly, I could see him take a one year deal to ring chase.  Probably a Laker or Clipper.  And probably still unmotivated and out of shape.  He needs a come to Jesus. 

Daryl Morey announced that they're going to lose in the second round bring back Doc as coach for next year.

Also announced that Danny Green tore his ACL and LCL last night.  Green has really been showing his age the past couple of years before this so you gotta wonder if this is about the end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

So, Harden had a history of getting fat in the off season and then getting back into shape and having MVP seasons and at the strip club every single night.  So, theoretically, he busts his ass, gets back into shape, quits going out every night (maybe only 2-3 times a week?), can he have a Chris Paul-like renaissance (nevermind that Paul's about to blow another playoff series to the fucking Mavs)?

I don't know.  I think if he doesn't get the super super max from Philly, I could see him take a one year deal to ring chase.  Probably a Laker or Clipper.  And probably still unmotivated and out of shape.  He needs a come to Jesus. 

He could also just opt in for next at $40 some million. Which would put him in a "prove it season" and maybe that would be the motivation he would need to get healthy and get in shape (I have a hard time imagining Harden following the CP3 plant-based diet career revival plan, but who knows?) and play at a higher level.

So does anyone really think Chet gonna work out? I get potential but he looks like he’d get killed trying to bang in the post. Like literally die on the court. Probably better off trying to play him at the 3 until you can fatten him up.

I think the drop off from Chet, Palio and Jabari to whoever is 4 is pretty steep, so I’m cool with the Rockets at no. 3.

5 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

So does anyone really think Chet gonna work out? I get potential but he looks like he’d get killed trying to bang in the post. Like literally die on the court. Probably better off trying to play him at the 3 until you can fatten him up.

I think the drop off from Chet, Palio and Jabari to whoever is 4 is pretty steep, so I’m cool with the Rockets at no. 3.

I think he'll work out but you gotta be patient.  He needs to add 30 lbs - and he will.  In the meantime, he's got lots of other skills that don't require him to "bang in the post", which isn't exactly a top priority for people anymore anyway.  

I wouldn't draft him top 5 but his skillset is definitely very appealing.  He had a few stretches this year where he took over games for Gonzaga and showed off a dazzling array of skills.  Stuff like block, rebound, flying dunk, block, behind-the-back dribble, hit a 3 on the break, and so on - all in 75 seconds.  And, yeah, the dudes are a LOT bigger in the pros but he didn't get pushed around.  

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Lakers also reached out to Juwan Howard to gauge his interest in the position but Howard told them he was staying at Michigan

When the VP'ss former college teammate who also played with the star on three finals teams and two championships doesn't even want an interview, you know the job isn't very appealing.

Edited by Brian Fowler