DVDVR Message Board

2022 NBA OFFSEASON

Brian Fowler

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Ben Simmons is having back surgery 

Recovery is 3-4 months

This whole thing is just weird.  If his back is jacked up enough to require surgery, why was he telling the Nets it was a "mental block" keeping him from playing?

2 minutes ago, Tabe said:

This whole thing is just weird.  If his back is jacked up enough to require surgery, why was he telling the Nets it was a "mental block" keeping him from playing?

The crazy thing is that he was clearly telling us things he wasn't telling the Nets.  He is the one who said he was going to try to play in Game 4, Steve Nash acted like he had heard nothing of the sort.  I've said this on this board multiple times, but shutting the fuck up is generally the best option.  He doesn't have to explain his back, his mental health, or anything else to anybody.  Just shut up and collect your checks...if possible.

I mean, if his back is hurting, he should probably tell the Nets so they can get him medical care. But he sure doesn't owe anybody else any explanations. 

6 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I mean, if his back is hurting, he should probably tell the Nets so they can get him medical care. But he sure doesn't owe anybody else any explanations. 

Yes, but even then the less he says the better off he'll be.  If he's injured, say he's injured, but all the other shit is not doing him any good.  I've had a back issue for about a year and I know how tricky it is to manage and I don't do anything close to as physically taxing as playing NBA basketball.  If you have a back injury let that be the reason you aren't playing.  Almost everybody knows someone who has a bad back, you'll get sympathy for that, and  he'd probably be able to recoup his money from the 76ers if he left it at that.  But nope, Ben wants to talk about his mental health, and other things that may or may not be true, but aren't going to get you one once of sympathy once you don't show up for an entire season.  People may have sympathy for mental health issues, but at some point almost everyone has a mental health issue and have to learn how to manage it as they live their lives.  We're getting to the point where people will support you taking a mental health day, but a mental health year isn't going to get you anywhere with the general public.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yes, but even then the less he says the better off he'll be.  If he's injured, say he's injured, but all the other shit is not doing him any good.  I've had a back issue for about a year and I know how tricky it is to manage and I don't do anything close to as physically taxing as playing NBA basketball.  If you have a back injury let that be the reason you aren't playing.  Almost everybody knows someone who has a bad back, you'll get sympathy for that, and  he'd probably be able to recoup his money from the 76ers if he left it at that.  But nope, Ben wants to talk about his mental health, and other things that may or may not be true, but aren't going to get you one once of sympathy once you don't show up for an entire season.  People may have sympathy for mental health issues, but at some point almost everyone has a mental health issue and have to learn how to manage it as they live their lives.  We're getting to the point where people will support you taking a mental health day, but a mental health year isn't going to get you anywhere with the general public.

Oh yeah, fully agree with everything you said.  Like you, I've got a back issue.  It was pretty bad for several years but has greatly improved the last couple*.  So, yeah, I sympathize if Ben is going through that.  But, yeah, after awhile, the general public is going to stop having sympathy for you if you're taking a year off because of mental health issues, real as they might be.

* - I went from having extremely bad issues ("Dang, maybe I need surgery") to just having bad issues ("OK, I'll take today off work and sit all day") to now having little to none.  Basically, I discovered that my back problems came about if I slept more than about 5 hours at a time.  So I started splitting my nighttime sleep into two pieces - 3 hours or so in my recliner, awake for 2-4 hours,  and 4-5 hours in my regular bed.  This was not at all convenient as you might imagine.  However, it worked.  My back started feeling better, a lot better.  After a few months of that, I went back to sleeping full nights in my regular bed and my back problems have not returned.  This also was around the time the pandemic started and I began working from home full-time.  My desk chair at home is much better than the one in my office so that probably helped as well.  Either way, I'm generally pain-free now for the first time in well over a decade.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tabe said:

Oh yeah, fully agree with everything you said.  Like you, I've got a back issue.  It was pretty bad for several years but has greatly improved the last couple*.  So, yeah, I sympathize if Ben is going through that.  But, yeah, after awhile, the general public is going to stop having sympathy for you if you're taking a year off because of mental health issues, real as they might be.

* - I went from having extremely bad issues ("Dang, maybe I need surgery") to just having bad issues ("OK, I'll take today off work and sit all day") to now having little to none.  Basically, I discovered that my back problems came about if I slept more than about 5 hours at a time.  So I started splitting my nighttime sleep into two pieces - 3 hours or so in my recliner, awake for 2-4 hours,  and 4-5 hours in my regular bed.  This was not at all convenient as you might imagine.  However, it worked.  My back started feeling better, a lot better.  After a few months of that, I went back to sleeping full nights in my regular bed and my back problems have not returned.  This also was around the time the pandemic started and I began working from home full-time.  My desk chair at home is much better than the one in my office so that probably helped as well.  Either way, I'm generally pain-free now for the first time in well over a decade.

For me, sitting is what aggravates my back the worst, because the problem is with the last disk above my tailbone.  With that said, my in office chair is also a peace of crap, so it's much worse when I'm in the office.  I do have a standing desk at work, but standing is only better if I've been sitting, and sitting is only better if I've been standing as both put too much vertical compression on that particular disk.  Of all the reasons I hate that they want us back in the office, it's #1 for me.

On 5/7/2022 at 1:51 PM, Brian Fowler said:

New Clayton Crowley video series has started. This one on NBA Legends. Leading off with Bill Walton.

https://twitter.com/ClaytonCrowley/status/1522662571484061698?t=zqyD_IMUio83gZx5ObcQBg&s=19

It is absolute nonsense to call Bill Walton an NBA legend. No, he doesn't get credit for being awesome in the 750 games he didn't play - especially since he wasn't even a starter for a big chunk of the ones he DID play. 

It's "The Legend of." In the intro to the video, he even says it's about more than what happens on the court. It's the story of these players and what they represent. 

Judging from that intro, looks like Pistol Pete, Grant Hill and Yao Ming are gonna get episodes. Love all those players, but I wouldn't call any of them legends in the way that Kareem, Larry or Magic are. 

I wish I could say that about Grant Hill. ?

• Like 1

The Spurs have request to play two games in Austin, Texas (specifically at the new arena being built at the University of Texas)

So the city of San Antonio FREAKED THE FUCK OUT

So much so that the Spurs owner had to release a statement saying that the team isn't moving

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 10:48 PM, southofheavy said:

I wish I could say that about Grant Hill. ?

Hey, at least Grant ended up leaving right when his body fell apart, and in the process got Detroit Ben for their troubles. I can't complain.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Soooo... Can Philly really give Harden 5/$250?

Can they afford to let him walk after all they gave up to get him?

I'd like to point out that James Harden and Ben Simmons and I had the same number of points in the second half of the elimination game. 

My conclusion is... give me a quarter billion dollars and I will be Sixers Fan in NYC.

• Like 3