DVDVR Message Board

Before Shoot Interviews (a new blog series)

Lee B.

On 2/5/2023 at 1:28 AM, clintthecrippler said:

The sequence of events is actually the other way around, Goodheart ran out of money before the show ever happened and folded up shop, and it was about six months later when Rogers passed. 

Ok, I may have misunderstood or misremembered what was said during the Buddy Landell interview, but I guess the main point was that the match ended up not happening and Landell felt sad, because he thought he had more in common with Rogers than he did with Flair and this "Battle of the Nature Boys" would have been more meaningful to him, or somethin to that affect.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Lee B. said:

Hi all!  Part 2 of my 1992 interview with Windy City Wresting promoter Sam DeCero has been (re)published on the Professional Wrestling Studies Association's website:

https://www.prowrestlingstudies.org/2023/07/12/before-shoot-interviews-sam-decero-part-2/

Thanks, Lee

Running until 2010 is quite a feat for Windy City Wrestling. I remember that they promoted "The battle of Bam Bams" with Terry Gordy vs Bam Bam Bigelow in either very late 80's or very early 90's. If those guys were ready to work, it would have been a good match!

On 7/21/2023 at 12:32 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Well, you gotta take in mind Gordy's problems. Wonder if that or the ECW one were any good. 

Sure, but when was the plane incident with Gordy, again? If this match was in say 1990, could that have been before that? From the magazine I read about the match, I remember them writing it was a 10-minute brawl which ended in a double count out, so I'm expecting a pretty standard fare there. But if Bigelow was in his New Japan mode and Gordy in his All Japan mode, this could have been quite a match!

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The plane OD was in 1993, so him and the 2nd one with Bammer was three years later. He was cooked already. 

But I have no old magazines that were from 1993, they were way older, so the first one could have been from the "good" period!

...wait, so the '92 Steiners matches were still in the good period, even though Scott Keith played as if they weren't! The gnarly fuck!

Edited by Shartnado
the MVC vs Steiners was good times!

Scott Keith being wrong about something isn't exactly an exception to the rule, is it?

I mean, considering what his taste in wrestling is/was, I can see him watching a prime Gordy match, not getting it, and assuming it was post-brain damage.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...