DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 1st Half

RIPPA

In case folks were wondering - some of the reasons Soto rejected

• Since the contract was for 15 years, the AAV was less than $30 million a year
  • It was heavily backloaded (the majority being in the last 6 years)
  • His agent is Scott Boras
  • The Nats stink
  • Like 2

In another weird scheduling quirk in a season full of them - both LA teams are off Today (Sunday) because of the All Star Game being in the area

I feel like giving any player a guaranteed 15-year contract at nearly 30 million/year is a recipe for disaster.  I get that someone is going to give Soto something similar to lock down him down, but so many things can go wrong in 15 years that could handcuff your franchise for a decade.  

I don’t really understand the fascination with backloading contracts.   More often than not, if you can’t afford X’s contract next year, you can’t afford it in 5 years,  I know there are sometimes salary cap considerations or an expected huge jump in tv revenue, but nature abhors a vacuum.  The rest of your guys are going to want paid too in five years, so it’s probably wishful thinking that you”re going to have extra piles of cash laying around.

I also think backloading deals is likely to make the player a lightning rod for fans and media if he reaches the backend of the deal and is underperforming.

Honestly, if I’m the Nats gym and I’m offering Soto megabucks with most of it due in years 10-15, I am probably  thinking “Well, if this goes sideways, I probably won’t won’t be in here in ten years anyway.  Won’t be my problem.”

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Chris Sale took a comebacker off his left hand and immediately left the game. Didn't look good. 

Sox announced that it’s a broken pinkie finger

On 7/16/2022 at 7:53 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

I am 100% on team "Get Your Money" when it comes to players so I am not hating on Soto, his reasons are very sound, but man just seeing those numbers and "rejected" by it will make a normal human's head spin.

I like baseball very much but shit like this is absolutely fucked

• Like 1