DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 1st Half

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Miguel Sano is having surgery for a torn meniscus in his knee.

He really should miss the rest of the season but apparently the Twins are trying to be all MAYBE HE WILL BE BACK FOR THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

Sano has done a lot more in the majors than Mondesi, but it feels like Sano and Mondesi are more similar for "always getting hurt" than Mondesi and Buxton. Buxton has a longer list of IL ailments than Mondesi or Sano. Buxton is close to "Mick Foley diagram on the back of Have A Nice Day" levels of injuries.

40 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/minor-league-baseball-to-move-second-base-closer-to-home-plate-in-2022-as-part-of-rules-experiment-per-report/

Here's a wacky idea to increase scoring: stop letting incompetent windbags stand behind home plate and call a pitch that's 2 feet off the plate a strike.

Some people think that calling a larger strike zone will lead to fewer strikeouts. Which sounds like voodoo economics.

Meanwhile behind the microphones in Kansas City.

Denny Matthews (who has been calling Royals games since day one in 1969) isn't in the booth. His two colleagues (Steve Stewart and Steve Physioc) are both out, some people have speculated that Physioc sounded sick. So they're calling in Mike Sweeney (who apparently flew in from his home in California for the occasion) and they've calling up Jake Eisenberg (who calls games for the Royals AAA team and has also called Mets games this year) to do radio today.

Over the weekend, Denny and Jeff Montgomery called games and I heard Monty was good (Monty is low key on TV but you don't need to be Mr. Excitement to call radio games in the Midwest).

So, an abundance of caution is opening doors to experiment. One day Denny, who turns 80 in November, will retire and they'll need a new radio booth. If Denny calls games until he's 92 years old in 2035, he can match Vin Scully.

Also the Cardinals have some COVID in their travelling party and tomorrow's game was bumped up from 6pm to Noon because to a 25% chance of rain tomorrow night and also because the Cardinals are flying to California for Thursday and most fans attending KC/STL games in KC are Cardinal fans, so screwing them over is different than screwing over Royals fans.

guessing that asking about a series that's on July 26th-27th is because of the whole "COVID in the travelling party" thing I mentioned but that's a pretty relaxed casual answer about not having 2 or 3 guys in a few months if they don't change their minds.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Miguel Sano is having surgery for a torn meniscus in his knee.

He really should miss the rest of the season but apparently the Twins are trying to be all MAYBE HE WILL BE BACK FOR THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

Depending on the severity of the tear, he could very well be back.  I've torn the meniscus in both of my knees.  The one in my right knee took forever to heal because I had a torn ACL at the same time.  The one in the left knee took a few months but didn't require surgery.  I think surgery would actually have sped up the process.

What I can tell you is that I've been run over by a car, torn my ACL, and a few other things in my life but nothing - NOTHING - compares pain-wise to the pain from the torn meniscus in my left knee.  As in, not even close.  2 months of insomnia from the pain from that.

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

trying to power through an ACL tear messes up the meniscus too, right?

It can. In my case, recovery from my ACL led to extra weight and pressure on the other knee, causing the meniscus tear. 

13 hours ago, Raziel said:

I'd also throw in "stop managing teams via a spreadsheet that says strikeouts are better than putting the ball in play"  or "maybe big market teams should stop running themselves like small market teams"

While I appreciated the gimmick you are doing in regards to the Yanks - it is a little out of place when they are in the midst of a 9 game winning streak and lead the league in homers

Maybe bring it back next week after they get swept by Baltimore

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

While I appreciated the gimmick you are doing in regards to the Yanks - it is a little out of place when they are in the midst of a 9 game winning streak and lead the league in homers

Maybe bring it back next week after they get swept by Baltimore

I mean, I did just go to Baseball reference and look at the numbers (because of Cobra's "less strikeouts don't equal more runs" argument), I did get this:

Through 24 games

2021: 11-13, 89 runs, 169 hits, 29 doubles, 32 HR, 84 RBI, 101 BB, 211 SO's, .215 avg, .307 OBP, .682 OPS, 161 LOB

2022: 18-6, 118 runs, 200 hits, 38 doubles, 34 HR, 111 RBI, 81 BB, 204 SO, .250 avg, .324 OBP, .752 OPS, 162 LOB

So there's no real support either way, outside of this year's hits, xb hits, and RBI's are significantly up while SO's arent' down enough to swing the numbers.  I'm kind of curious to look at other teams and see how that all stacks up.

I will say that watching the current team hitting is way more entertaining than last  year (or last month's), all or nothing batting approaches where nothing went on unless the ball was heading over the fence.

7 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Rippa, what did you do to the link to fix it?

I just pasted it as plain text because there was some weird HTML gremlin in it that the board hated

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The time for him to retire was 10 years ago

He probably should have been buried alive in George Steinbrenner's mausoleum.  Though he keeps making embarrassing mistakes like this, whichever failson is in charge now may give him the Old Yeller treatment in Monument Park this season. 

Madison Bumgarner got ejected in the first inning of today's game during a foreign substance check

It is a little unclear if he was tossed for having a foreign substance or because he said something to the ump as there was a really awkward exchange between the two - partly because the check was taking forever (and Bumgarner is upset about a call already)

I think its the later and not the former just because I don't think his mitt was confiscated

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I just pasted it as plain text because there was some weird HTML gremlin in it that the board hated

Weird.  All I did was post a link.  Thanks - I'll start putting stuff in Notepad first before posting it here.

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Madison Bumgarner got ejected in the first inning of today's game during a foreign substance check

It is a little unclear if he was tossed for having a foreign substance or because he said something to the ump as there was a really awkward exchange between the two - partly because the check was taking forever (and Bumgarner is upset about a call already)

I think its the later and not the former just because I don't think his mitt was confiscated

TIL Madison Bumgarner hasn't retired.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

He was already walking back to the dugout post-check, so almost surely he was tossed for mouthing off. But the check did seem long and weird. 

Something he said... 100%

The still is after the ejection, but the video is clear.  I eagerly await Jomboy's lip reading. 

On 5/2/2022 at 6:51 PM, Tabe said:

I don't think a 2" margin of error is outside the realm of acceptable.  

2" margin of error is reasonable enough, Angel Hernandez's main problem is that he comes across as an argumentative shithead, which is not a positive quality in a match official. These stories aren't just "Angel Hernandez blew a call," it's always "Hernandez blows a call, blows up about it."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tabe said:

TIL Madison Bumgarner hasn't retired.

"retired or on the Diamondbacks?" feels like it could be a game show segment or something

• Haha 1

Rocco Baldelli has tested positive for COVID and will miss at least tonight’s game

Jayce Tingler will manage the Twins vs the Orioles

Edit - the Twins might be having a mini outbreak, 2 players went on the COVID list, they are awaiting the results from more folks AND one player is out due to a non-COVID outbreak