DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2022

The Natural

21 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I’m worried about this more than some other people here for sure. What are the major non news cable networks? Tnt, Tbs, usa, espn. If discovery decides to be out the others are out as well. Of course someone like wgn america would pick them up and decide to make that the flagship. It wouldn’t be for more money and it would be a massive downgrade in promotion and prestige. This all strikes me as Not Good. 

FX and AMC are just outside of the top 20 cable networks that have the most viewership, and I’d say they have more prestige (not viewers) than TNT or TBS

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

FX and AMC are just outside of the top 20 cable networks that have the most viewership, and I’d say they have more prestige (not viewers) than TNT or TBS

But fx is Fox/smackdown right. I guess aew could wind up on amc, sure wouldn’t have the feel of being promoted during the nba. And that would be a reach, is amc searching out live sports and rebranding their network? There are very few landing spots here even with great ratings. 

2 hours ago, matt925 said:

But fx is Fox/smackdown right. I guess aew could wind up on amc, sure wouldn’t have the feel of being promoted during the nba. And that would be a reach, is amc searching out live sports and rebranding their network? There are very few landing spots here even with great ratings. 

The one that hasn't been mentioned is Paramount. Probably a step down but they have Bellator which is where Jake Hager fights

Disney owns FX, the Fox Corporation owns the network Smackdown airs on in the US. I don’t think Disney could own that network since they already own ABC and that would be 50% of the big network television channels controlled by one company.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Discovery is trying to streamline and cut costs to pay off billions in debt. Three streamers (HBO Max, Discovery+, CNN+) will all be folded into one sooner rather than later. But there is still a need for content, both streaming and broadcast 

Discovery is locked in deals with the NBA until 2025 and the NHL and MLB through 2028. There will be a need for prime time content on broadcast for the foreseeable future.

For AEW, I would be talking about having some kind of placement on the revised HBO Max ... a place to watch old Dynamites and Rampages, maybe exclusive content with personality profiles, interviews and the like.

• Like 1

There are several college sports media deals up soon, and it would make sense for Discovrry to get heavier into that game, in particular hoops, given the brand they already have in that sport with Inside The NBA, etc. I think Discoery deciding just how all-in to go on sports is a key decision point with all this.

Yes, I am proposing MACtion or the like as the lead in for Rampage and the board raising hell when Western Kentucky / Louisiana Tech goes into double OT.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, colonial said:

Discovery is trying to streamline and cut costs to pay off billions in debt. Three streamers (HBO Max, Discovery+, CNN+) will all be folded into one sooner rather than later. But there is still a need for content, both streaming and broadcast 

Discovery is locked in deals with the NBA until 2025 and the NHL and MLB through 2028. There will be a need for prime time content on broadcast for the foreseeable future.

For AEW, I would be talking about having some kind of placement on the revised HBO Max ... a place to watch old Dynamites and Rampages, maybe exclusive content with personality profiles, interviews and the like.

They're already shuttering CNN+ (this week?) since it was a massive failure not seen since Quibi, but most of the content on there that wasn't shows by people like Chris Wallace was just stuff that was already on HBO Max (Decades docuseries I know used to be on HBO Max before they moved to CNN+).

Discovery's target audience and main ratings draw is men 18-49 with all of their Gold Rush (literally like 5 different shows at this point), Dangerous Catch, and other shows like that. AEW fits right in to that.

• Like 3

Like @colonial mentioned, the thing that will help AEW tremendously in terms of securing its future on its current broadcast partners is getting its streaming services going (especially if it is on HBO Max)

Meltzer keeps mentioning that the NBA and NHL will always have a priority over wrestling on these networks but they want the live content for the streaming services (again referencing Peacock overpaying for the WWE Network as the example)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Like @colonial mentioned, the thing that will help AEW tremendously in terms of securing its future on its current broadcast partners is getting its streaming services going (especially if it is on HBO Max)

Meltzer keeps mentioning that the NBA and NHL will always have a priority over wrestling on these networks but they want the live content for the streaming services (again referencing Peacock overpaying for the WWE Network as the example)

On your second point, that's why I've been waiting to see how HBO Max's foray into live sports goes with the World Cup qualifiers. I know obviously they did boxing for years on linear HBO but that's a different animal

• Like 1

I think AEW Dynamite will be renewed.  Anyway I would only worry about Rampage, even then, they just may move the show to TBS.

There are rumors about having UFC on the American Discovery channel when 2025 comes. Kinda debunks the blood and lang censorship Dave talked about.

3 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

There are rumors about having UFC on the American Discovery channel when 2025 comes. 

From whom and in what capacity? First I ever heard of that.

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

From whom and in what capacity? First I ever heard of that.

Only thing I can find is this

https://mmainsight.com/ufc/ufc-reportedly-close-to-extending-tv-deal-with-bt-sport-in-uk

It’s also worth noting that Discovery already swooped to gain the rights to broadcast UFC events in the Netherlands (Via Discovery+) and Spain (on Eurosport) back in January, and it would certainly be interesting to see whether they would also be interested in attempting to gain the rights in the U.S. market in the future too, though ESPN’s current lucrative deal doesn’t expire until 2025.

So it seems all(???) speculation would just be tied to folks assuming since UFC was already partnering with Discovery in Europe that Discovery would want the US rights when the ESPN deal is up

• Thanks 1

Just now, RIPPA said:

Only thing I can find is this

https://mmainsight.com/ufc/ufc-reportedly-close-to-extending-tv-deal-with-bt-sport-in-uk

So it seems all(???) speculation would just be tied to folks assuming since UFC was already partnering with Discovery in Europe that Discovery would want the US rights when the ESPN deal is up

Yeah, unless UFC's value absolutely plummets, I cannot imagine UFC going anywhere. Even if UFC moved, all Discovery would get is basically shoulder programming much like the other ESPN channels and ESPN+ get (and prior to that when they were on Fox, FS2 and random countdown/compilations on FS1 in middle of the day). They wouldn't be getting actual UFC events.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, unless UFC's value absolutely plummets, I cannot imagine UFC going anywhere. Even if UFC moved, all Discovery would get is basically shoulder programming much like the other ESPN channels and ESPN+ get (and prior to that when they were on Fox, FS2 and random countdown/compilations on FS1 in middle of the day). They wouldn't be getting actual UFC events.

Yeah, from what I understand the UFC/ESPN partnership has been incredibly successful for both parties.  I don't see UFC leaving or ESPN letting them go without someone overpaying by a lot.  The UFC is most likely the biggest content provider for ESPN+ and they aren't going to do anything to jeopardize that.

• Like 1

Just watched the hype video for the next show on Youtube and aside from once again seeing how great FTR are... I really, really hate how Sammy makes me dislike Tay Conti. She was such a natural babyface and now I don't wanna see her anymore.

Edited by MrKothoga
  • Like 6

Stoked for this Rampage card aside from whatever a Danhausen-Hook confrontation means.  Tho, the crowd erupted for that announcement, and I'll hope for the best.  Some fun odd 'Mat Action' - Joe-Trent, Swerve-Darby, The Baddies going trios against a Willow Nighingale led goodie mob, and COLTEN GUNN v KEITH LEE!!!  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1