DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2022

The Natural

30 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Apparently according to Wrestling Observer, Bret Hart has signed a new deal with WWE that would ban him from appearing on AEW TV....

I'm not even sure what to say if that's indeed legit.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Apparently according to Wrestling Observer, Bret Hart has signed a new deal with WWE that would ban him from appearing on AEW TV....

I'm not even sure what to say if that's indeed legit.

I mean, good on Bret because he's already been robbed of way too much money, but that is a significant bummer for those of us who wanted him with FTR if healthy and willing.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

Supposedly Bret was never formally offered anything with AEW? Seems odd. He also may have seen the expectations of physicality for folks his age in AEW and decided he’d rather get paid more to do sit-downs for Peacock and judge pie eating contests or whatever they do to kill time on Raw these days. 

• Like 2

Yeah I would assume WWE's offer had zero to do with FTR or the rumors of him having involvement there. Once AEW got Martha on board and the rights to Owen Hart, I'd bet $10,000 that's when they made the offer. If Bret Hart gets involved with an Owen Hart tribute that is on a competitor's TV that could have snowballed into a lot of possibly bad outcomes for WWE. From AEW getting an attention bump to worse (in their mind), bad PR from details of the incident & WWE's handling of it getting attention again.

I don't think any more thought than that went into it. AEW got Owen's rights. WWE didn't want them to be able to add Bret's value to it too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Have some bad news for you my friend. That same network is where ROH is going to land. By network I assume you mean Warner Media (and not TNT or TBS specifically). TK already revealed he's bound by the terms of the TV contracts to only work with Warner Media for any and all wrestling ventures. So ROH is going to land on Tru TV or HBO Max or something else along those lines. Which will have the same specifications as the rest of AEW's shows.

There is no reason to definitively assume that the "specifications" will be the same.  I can't speak on the current version of TruTV that airs Turner's overflow sporting events, but there's no way that channel wasn't pulling higher-than-average female viewership when they were airing all those true crime re-enactment shows. AEW Dark has a higher percentage of women's matches than Dynamite - if they're using RoH as a semi-developmental show + expect the average viewer to be a more dedicated fan of the AEW-verse, I think there's an outcome where RoH TV features more than one women's match per two hours of programming.

• Like 1

If a parent company has a weird rule limiting how much women's wrestling can be on the wrestling shows they air (across two networks currently), it's not a stretch to assume that weird rule would govern all networks they have wrestling shows on.

All of this is speculation obviously. We haven't gotten confirmation that rule exists. And if it does, why it does. But I would feel safe speculating it has nothing to do with who they expect the average viewer to be or how dedicated they are to AEW's product. Whatever their weird hangup is that prevents AEW from having multiple women's matches has got to be some dopey female violence thing. Which would extend to all of their networks at the very least. Maybe the shackles come off for a theoretical HBO Max deal. But surely TNT, TBS, TruTV, Cartoon Network, etc would have the same rules. Probably all the Discovery channels which are part of the same media company now too.

It's all run by the same person. Well the networks are ran independently but what I mean is they all answer to the same boss. There is a head of programming for Warner Media. I would find it odd if that person said no more than one women's match for TBS & TNT but sure you can do however many you want on TruTV. All 3 networks would most likely have the same guidelines in regards to female violence.

But to be fair, we don't even know for sure that is a rule. It could just be TK's super rigid formatting he likes to stick to and has nothing to do with the networks at all.

He probably abides by women are the novelty acts and the men are the true main attraction rule. It is primarily a men's promotions even if women are on the shows and can main sometimes. 

Same as WCW when they had womens or any other company.

Bret and Martha have beef with each other.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Whatever their weird hangup is that prevents AEW from having multiple women's matches has got to be some dopey female violence thing. Which would extend to all of their networks at the very least. Maybe the shackles come off for a theoretical HBO Max deal. But surely TNT, TBS, TruTV, Cartoon Network, etc would have the same rules. Probably all the Discovery channels which are part of the same media company now too.

It's all run by the same person. Well the networks are ran independently but what I mean is they all answer to the same boss. There is a head of programming for Warner Media. I would find it odd if that person said no more than one women's match for TBS & TNT but sure you can do however many you want on TruTV. All 3 networks would most likely have the same guidelines in regards to female violence.

???

Am I remembering this wrong, or have I not watched ONE FC after an AEW broadcast, where they had no issues airing women *actually* fighting? TV-PG WWE programming on FOX doesn't have this issue but Turner does? No way. I don't buy it for a second.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

So tags and one young lion vs AEW rookie singles match? Or actually NJPW vs AEW and NJPW wins the most.

Bryan said someone in aew told him they understand fans will fantasy book dream matches and will then be a bit disappointed. But all the stars will be on the card and there will be multiple singles matches. 

• Like 1

I guess the super show doesn’t need stakes to sell out and do a good number, but to me it feels like it needs stakes. Does it need stakes? 

Like the winning promotion gets a world title shot at the opposing promotion’s Fall PPV or something. And you could allow NJPW to run Okada/Danielson at Destruction as a result of that.

2 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

They've given Ishii an Owen Cup qualifier, maybe Forbidden Door could have a couple of G1 qualifiers?

If the Owen Cup becomes their version of G1 in terms of a tournament that has numerous match of the year candidates annually that would be dope. A national TV promotion having their version of BOLA would be nice. Like US wrestlings version of March Madness where we gotta catch these matches as it happens because it's likely to be a banger

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Am I remembering this wrong, or have I not watched ONE FC after an AEW broadcast, where they had no issues airing women *actually* fighting? TV-PG WWE programming on FOX doesn't have this issue but Turner does? No way. I don't buy it for a second.

If that's the case about ONE FC, then I would lean towards it's an unwritten rule of TK's formatting and not a network mandated then. In which case, he could certainly use a different format / formula for ROH. But if it is somehow something the network wants, I don't expect them to change that stance just because the wrestling company initials are different. That's all I'm saying.

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I guess the super show doesn’t need stakes to sell out and do a good number, but to me it feels like it needs stakes. Does it need stakes?

With this being the first one, I don't think any stakes are needed. Just the novelty of two separate companies coming together will sell this one. But if they make this a yearly special they will have to add some stakes for future events. In that case your idea of the winning promotion gets a shot at the losing promotion's top title is a great idea. One gets to win the series and look good. The other gets to host a big time important dream match on their home turf. It's win - win.

If I'm TK, I'm playing the long game. I huddle with NJPW and decide to run real dream matches with real winners and losers. AEW taking more L's than New Japan will earn them respect with New Japan's office. Which will lend them more leeway in the partnership in the future. Most wrestling fans will be happy with just seeing cool matches. It's not like someone's going to say well shit Danielson lost to Okada I guess I don't want to watch AEW anymore. Extend the olive branch and let them win like 6-3. Make your 3 wins count. And ride the respect it affords you into the next one.

• Like 1

If we fantasy booked this, I want a Kenny Omega appearance at the end - which will lead to next years ending of Kota Ibushi finally confronting Omega. Then if you want to go really deep, the third year gets a Prince Devitt return.

• Like 4