DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2022

The Natural

28 minutes ago, twiztor said:

For no reason at all, here's a list of active AEW wrestlers who have wrestled a (non-battle royal) match with Hulk Hogan:

Billy Gunn
Chris Jericho
Christian
Dustin Rhodes
Paul Wight
Sting

Would Regal count or are you only looking at people who are available to wrestle in AEW? 

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Would Regal count or are you only looking at people who are available to wrestle in AEW? 

i didn't remember the Regal match at all until i saw it on Cagematch. but since i specified "active wrestlers" i couldn't put him on the list. maybe he'll be part of a big multi man match or something?

Posted the above video for Eddie Kingston's AEW run(ning) and how much I've enjoyed it:

• Cody vs. Eddie Kingston in Eddie Kingston's AEW debut and getting signed as a result. 22nd July 2020.
  • All the promos.
  • Jon Moxley vs. Eddie Kingston at AEW Full Gear 2020.
  • The Young Bucks vs. Jon Moxley/Eddie Kingston at AEW Double or Nothing 2021.
  • Miro vs. Eddie Kingston for Miro's TNT Championship. The last great TNT Championship reign and I've always felt Eddie Kingston should have ended it.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Rampage, 29th October 2021. One of the best matches in AEW history and Eddie's best.
  • CM Punk's fight with Eddie Kingston at AEW Full Gear 2021.
  • Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho at AEW Revolution 2022.
Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 7:38 AM, The Natural said:

Just remembered that it's wrong unless they meant main roster. These WWE matches got ***** or above:

Almas/Gargano in NXT.

Gargano/Ciampa in NXT.

Gargano/Cole in NXT.

WALTER vs. Bate in NXT UK.

WALTER vs. Ilja II in NXT.

WALTER vs. Ilja I in NXT UK.

You're right to mention Bucks/Cole vs. Christian/Jurassic Express at Full Gear 2021. No way is that a ***** match. Will strongly disagree with Dave there.

To delve even further into this because I was interested, between 2000-2009 big Dave only gave SEVEN matches across the entire globe a 5 star rating.  3 of those came from Ring of Honor, 2 from NOAH, 1 from NJPW, and 1 from TNA - which kind of surprises me considering the SmackDown Six existed during this time period. You're telling me that no combination of those guys, or even a Benoit/Jericho/Angle trio was good enough to pump out a 5 star match?! I can understand 2004-2009 as I feel that's when the in-ring product took it's biggest hit, but from 2000-2003, I'm surprised not ONE match could hit that. FFS, Angle and Benoit by those standards never had a 5 star match which - I just don't believe (HBK WM21?) and Jericho's first one wouldn't come til his showdown with Omega in NJPW.

5 Star Matches by Decades (Per Dave Meltzer)
1980s: 23
AJPW: 6, WCW: 5, JCP: 4, AJW: 3, NJPW: 2, CWF: 2, UWF: 1, CWF: 1

1990s: 64
AJPW: 29, AJW: 16, NJPW: 6, WWF: 4, AAA: 3, WCW: 2, RINGS: 1, ECW: 1, Michinoku Pro: 1

2000s: 7
RoH: 3, NOAH: 2, TNA: 1, NJPW: 1

2010s: 65
NJPW: 48, WWE/NXT: 6, PWG: 5, AEW: 2, WWE: 1, WWE/NXT UK: 1, OTT: 1, La Triple W: 1

2020s: 37
AEW: 11, NJPW: 19, RPW: 2, WWE/NXT UK: 2, AAA: 1, NOAH: 1, ROH: 1, Stardom: 1

I think my most fascinating takeaway from this is that only ONE match in the entire HISTORY of the WWE has been given 5 stars that WASN'T a gimmick match and that was CM Punk/John Cena from MitB 2011. All four matches from the 90's were gimmicked matches (Bret/Owen in a cage, HBK/Razor ladder, HBK/Taker HiaC, Austin/Bret I Quit). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

To delve even further into this because I was interested, between 2000-2009 big Dave only gave SEVEN matches across the entire globe a 5 star rating.  3 of those came from Ring of Honor, 2 from NOAH, 1 from NJPW, and 1 from TNA - which kind of surprises me considering the SmackDown Six existed during this time period. You're telling me that no combination of those guys, or even a Benoit/Jericho/Angle trio was good enough to pump out a 5 star match?! I can understand 2004-2009 as I feel that's when the in-ring product took it's biggest hit, but from 2000-2003, I'm surprised not ONE match could hit that. FFS, Angle and Benoit by those standards never had a 5 star match which - I just don't believe (HBK WM21?) and Jericho's first one wouldn't come til his showdown with Omega in NJPW.

5 Star Matches by Decades (Per Dave Meltzer)
1980s: 23
AJPW: 6, WCW: 5, JCP: 4, AJW: 3, NJPW: 2, CWF: 2, UWF: 1, CWF: 1

1990s: 64
AJPW: 29, AJW: 16, NJPW: 6, WWF: 4, AAA: 3, WCW: 2, RINGS: 1, ECW: 1, Michinoku Pro: 1

2000s: 7
RoH: 3, NOAH: 2, TNA: 1, NJPW: 1

2010s: 65
NJPW: 48, WWE/NXT: 6, PWG: 5, AEW: 2, WWE: 1, WWE/NXT UK: 1, OTT: 1, La Triple W: 1

2020s: 37
AEW: 11, NJPW: 19, RPW: 2, WWE/NXT UK: 2, AAA: 1, NOAH: 1, ROH: 1, Stardom: 1

I think my most fascinating takeaway from this is that only ONE match in the entire HISTORY of the WWE has been given 5 stars that WASN'T a gimmick match and that was CM Punk/John Cena from MitB 2011. All four matches from the 90's were gimmicked matches (Bret/Owen in a cage, HBK/Razor ladder, HBK/Taker HiaC, Austin/Bret I Quit). 

I don't know how else to word it, he has bad taste.

31 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I feel like he has specific tastes more than bad taste,  but he also has a general anti-WWF/E bias. I can't talk, because I generally have the same bias, but there have been plenty of great WWE matches that don't seem to get credit. I like 2010s NJPW, but 48 five star matches is kind of insane. I think the biggest problem I have is that he rates the Bret/Owen cage match higher than the Wrestlemania X match. 

Off the top of my head some WWE matches that are *****:

Shield vs. Wyatt’s, Elimination Chamber.

The rematch on Raw.

Revival vs. DIY, 2 out of 3 falls (Best tag match of the decade)

Sami vs. Neville (Perfect long-term storytelling with an awesome Empire Strikes Back ending with KO showing his true colors)

Sasha vs. Bayley I and II (Flawlessly executed and historically important) 

Rhodes Brothers vs. The Shield (Perfect tag match and feud)

Charlotte Flair vs. Sasha in whatever the gimmick match was where Sasha had the Banks Statement in the crowd and Charlotte did some insane flip off the announcer’s perch

Santino/Emma vs. Fandango/Summer Rae (Best comedy match ever)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I wonder how much of it is the grade inflation thing that was happening in skating and gymnastics before they reset it all. Like, the idea was that 10s were impossible to get for a long time, then a couple of new tricks/routines earn 10s, then as the sport progresses you get more complicated tricks and routines that you HAVE to score as a 10. 

• Like 1

I am sure this has been mentioned elsewhere (so many threads...) but Jack Evans announced his AEW contract expires at the end of the month and he won't be re-signing

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am sure this has been mentioned elsewhere (so many threads...) but Jack Evans announced his AEW contract expires at the end of the month and he won't be re-signing

Damn, I was just wondering where he was after I saw Angelico last night on Elevation. A minor bummer, if not unsurprising.

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

SRS is reporting that WWE is interested in requiring FTR. Their deal expires this summer, but AEW can exercise an option year. 

Other than money- why would they? FTR are more concerned with their legacy at this point. I see them adding New Japan to their calendar more than I do them going back to Titan.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

SRS is reporting that WWE is interested in requiring FTR. Their deal expires this summer, but AEW can exercise an option year. 

giphy.gif

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Other than money- why would they? 

Lifetime supply of Ucy Hot? They really miss Cody? They want to make me laugh uproariously at the collective disappointment? 

I'm having a hard to coming up with a plausible answer, especially with how long and badly they wanted out. 

8 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

No, I get what they get out of it. A hot act jumping gets buzz and attention. If they can get one, they should. 

Or, WWE figured out that it's one way to get ***** from Meltzer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4