DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2022

The Natural

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Internet detectives mostly only thrive at harassment, but sure go off. 

Also, feel free to provide a link to that study. If it exists, I shouldn't need to do my own research. Somebody else has already done it for me, and I'd like to assess their findings.

Man's thirsty for attention. 

JIM CORNETTE'S A ROBOT!!11?!?!?!1

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Internet detectives mostly only thrive at harassment, but sure go off. 

Also, feel free to provide a link to that study. If it exists, I shouldn't need to do my own research. Somebody else has already done it for me, and I'd like to assess their findings.

Man's thirsty for attention. 

Tony Khan was broken by WrestleMania, which he shouldn't have been. WWE always gets a big annual boost from WrestleMania during WrestleMania season. It's to be expected. WrestleMania 38 didn't even legit sell out either day. Nick Khan was projecting 100,000 people on each day, and they didn't even hit those marks. 

This was a dopey Eric Bischoff level maneuver. It accomplishes nothing. Not to mention, posting it right after WrestleMania was absolutely stupid. I have no doubt there are bots on social media platforms doing trolling or spam posts. But what does that even really matter at the end of the day? How much does that truly impact the viewing or enjoyment of your product?

Tony Khan clearly has seller's remorse over losing Cody Rhodes. I said gift-wrapping and FedExing Cody to WWE was a mistake. I didn't think it was going to break Tony this badly.

Think about this. Before AEW even made it to TV, WWE put NXT on Wednesday nights in primetime directly opposite AEW to try and hurt them. That was WWE's biggest open move in trying to hurt and hinder AEW, and it didn't work. That does a lot more to affect AEW's bottom line than a handful of Twitter spam bots. And Tony Khan didn't let that get to him. He didn't make stupid tweets like this.

If this garbage is going to continue forcing Khan to make stupid tweets, much like the Big Swole situation, it's time for him to throw in the towel and close up shop right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Tony needs to bring in his identical twin brother Ezekiel Khan to handle the duties of saying the things that Tony can't say in public.

We already have Dan Lambert on TV. 

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Tay and Sammy are really getting into that Cody territory of "no way they think this is a babyface act, right?  Please?"  Unless they're going heel, this gimmick has really screwed (pardon the pun) both of them.  Sammy has gone from "crazy athletic smug prick" to "crazy athletic smug prick who won't stop talking about fucking his hot girlfriend."  Nobody wants to be friends with that guy.  Tay has gone from "super nice underdog who everybody knows has improved by leaps and bounds, won't stop fighting, and is really cool to a kid who lost his dad" to "generic arm candy with no agency, used as a prop so Sammy can brag about fucking."  Ugh.  Please stop this.

What kind of world do we live in when the poster children for "acknowledging a real life romantic relationship on screen correctly" are Britt Baker and ADAM FUCKING COLE?!?!?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, mystman said:

What kind of world do we live in when the poster children for "acknowledging a real life romantic relationship on screen correctly" are Britt Baker and ADAM FUCKING COLE?!?!?

They seem like a nice couple.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Tony Khan was broken by WrestleMania, which he shouldn't have been. WWE always gets a big annual boost from WrestleMania during WrestleMania season. It's to be expected. WrestleMania 38 didn't even legit sell out either day. Nick Khan was projecting 100,000 people on each day, and they didn't even hit those marks. 

This was a dopey Eric Bischoff level maneuver. It accomplishes nothing. Not to mention, posting it right after WrestleMania was absolutely stupid. I have no doubt there are bots on social media platforms doing trolling or spam posts. But what does that even really matter at the end of the day? How much does that truly impact the viewing or enjoyment of your product?

Tony Khan clearly has seller's remorse over losing Cody Rhodes. I said gift-wrapping and FedExing Cody to WWE was a mistake. I didn't think it was going to break Tony this badly.

Think about this. Before AEW even made it to TV, WWE put NXT on Wednesday nights in primetime directly opposite AEW to try and hurt them. That was WWE's biggest open move in trying to hurt and hinder AEW, and it didn't work. That does a lot more to affect AEW's bottom line than a handful of Twitter spam bots. And Tony Khan didn't let that get to him. He didn't make stupid tweets like this.

If this garbage is going to continue forcing Khan to make stupid tweets, much like the Big Swole situation, it's time for him to throw in the towel and close up shop right now.

I mean, this seems like pretty standard Tony Being Defensive. Not sure there's any reason to attribute his motivation to Mania or Cody specifically. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I mean, this seems like pretty standard Tony Being Defensive. Not sure there's any reason to attribute his motivation to Mania or Cody specifically. 

Considering how they all just happened, I think yes there most certainly is.

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I suppose this is your gimmick now. Beats thinking of a three-hundreth way to word "I don't like the Young Bucks", at least.

I will agree there was a noticeable dip in morale / uptick in defensiveness from non-WWE wrestlers on social media once they realized that Wrestlemania was actually good. Which is dumb and reductive and fragile, it read like a New England sports fan being mad that their team only made it to a conference championship. I get it, you've gotten used to being able to completely dunk on the Evil Empire for at least a couple of years now. And don't make a boo boo face at WWE flaunting their new turncoat signee when AEW has made ship-jumper/idiotic-NXT-release debut pops a core part of their programming.

On TK's Rage Against the Machines: I think somebody really did show him the numbers on anti-AEW bot activity and he felt like getting Big Adderall Tone about it. Irate business owners shaking their fists at the competition doesn't hit me as anything scandalous.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Pretty sure the most important thing right now is that tonight's show has two matches that 95% of the board or higher want to see. Everything else feels just a little incidental to that.

Shouldn't it be more important that people outside DVDR boards want to watch them?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I suppose this is your gimmick now. Beats thinking of your three-hundreth way to word "I don't like the Young Bucks", at least.

I will agree there was a noticeable dip in morale / uptick in defensiveness from non-WWE wrestlers on social media once they realized that Wrestlemania was actually good. Which is dumb and reductive and fragile, it read like a New England sports fan being mad that their team only made it to a conference championship. I get it, you've gotten used to being able to completely dunk on the Evil Empire for at least a couple of years now. And don't make a boo boo face at WWE flaunting their new turncoat signee when AEW has made ship-jumper/idiotic-NXT-release debut pops a core part of their programming.

On TK's Rage Against the Machines: I think somebody really did show him the numbers on anti-AEW bot activity and he felt like getting Big Adderall Tone about it. Irate business owners shaking their fists at the competition doesn't hit me as anything scandalous.

I love the Young Bucks. They are good guys. Loved Wednesday's Dynamite main event too. A lot of dumbass pearl clutching over the Ghostbusters gimmick, I thought it was awesome:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I love the Young Bucks. They are good guys. Loved Wednesday's Dynamite main event too. A lot of dumbass pearl clutching over the Ghostbusters gimmick, I thought it was awesome:

Poor wording, didn't mean to imply you were an incessant Bucks hater, just that it's a fairly common point that people like to run into the ground. But the "Tony Khan twists and turns at night, calling Cody's name from his love-parched lips" thing is a little... well, to me the Cody jump feels like pulling a Band-Aid off. Major talent are going to jump. Cody's debut was *greatly* amplified by being the first person to jump in this direction.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Poor wording, didn't mean to imply you were an incessant Bucks hater, just that it's a fairly common point that people like to run into the ground. But the "Tony Khan twists and turns at night, calling Cody's name from his love-parched lips" thing is a little... well, to me the Cody jump feels like pulling a Band-Aid off. Major talent are going to jump. Cody's debut was *greatly* amplified by being the first person to jump in this direction.

Had Tony not done this today, and just done stuff like going on Busted Open Radio and been like "We're going to start making Rampage super-stacked again" I wouldn't have batted an eye. Like stuff like that is clearly promoter speak, but I think it's an acceptable level of promoter speak in trying to push your TV show and your product when you have radio air time. 

Tony doing this makes him look hypersensitive and weak as the head and spokesperson of the company. 

My other issue is that WWE has done far worse to try and hurt and cause deliberate damage to AEW that Tony Khan withstood and didn't say anything about. The statement WWE made to The Toronto Star was a deliberate shot at AEW advertisers, and not a peep from Khan about that. The dude doesn't know how to pick his battles if he's going to tweet.

Cody's debut was not just amplified by being the first person to jump. It was greatly amplified by him being one of AEW's top draws and stars, a founder, and an EVP. Also, he had a huge WrestleMania return complete with his whole music, gimmick, and presentation he had in AEW, and it wasn't botched. He went over Seth Rollins. All those factors amplified the Cody concoction even further.

Edited by TheVileOne

Punk debuted with an unchanged ring name + Cult of Personality and cut an I Hate WWE promo, Daniel Bryan Danielson debuted with a ton of fanfare, at a huge show, with his public-domain music (remixed), the stuff Cody did at Wrestlemania was effective and obvious, but there's precedent. This is how things are now. I still contend he dicked Turner over more than anybody else.

4 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Punk debuted with an unchanged ring name + Cult of Personality and cut an I Hate WWE promo, Daniel Bryan Danielson debuted at a huge show with his public-domain music (remixed), the stuff Cody did at Wrestlemania was effective and obvious, but there's precedent. This is how things are now.

Same with Jeff Hardy