DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2022 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

14 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

The fans in the building can't really see the hologram tech as well as everyone at home, but fuck 'em, that would be truly outrageous.

I'm sure that the tech has only gotten better since the Tupac hologram came out a few years back. 

I'm just saying, Booker T and Cena already used elements of one iconic Hasbro IP to varying levels of positive effect. Seems like someone should go back to that well. 

6 hours ago, caley said:

Oh good the "is he a draw?/who is a draw?" conversation is still...going...

The bookers here know what draws:

"Is X a draw?"

"Ratings"

"Person Y released"

Throw in the occasional punch/dropkick chatter, sprinkle on some "Air Bills" & get a special pop for the Batista Fashion Watch *tm* and there's ya forum.

It works. People show up and it's generally really good.

If anything starts dragging they roll out the name "Bockwinkel" and get a nice little spike.

As much as we would like them to, the powers that be don't need to spend money on on things like new servers for March Madness. We all keep turning up anyway and can go back and relive the old tourneys any time we want. 

It's only a matter of time before the place gets sold off to Disney anyway...

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty sure another March Madness would kill the territory. Those are like Dusty finishes. Do too many and everything sort of falls apart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I’d be much more interested in this discussion If it revolved around the combination strip club/tax preparation service mentioned a few pages back.

Dude, that's how WCW died.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Dog said:

Dude, that's how WCW died.

5644490_orig.png

"Listen up, you, tax cheats! Just because you jam a wrinkled up one dollar bill down some dame's crusty G-string...it does NOT count as a charitable contribution deduction! Yes...even if her stage name is Charity." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I was thinking to myself today that WWF missed out on having Bret around after the screwjob because between 95 till he left he either got a ton of guys in to the business like Test for example or helped people like Edge and Christian get tryouts or even had a hand in training people like Shamrock and Henry directly. Bret wasn't as hands on with getting people in WCW, probably because he didn't few WCW was worth getting guys in. From Brets perspective you probably can't blame him for not going out his way getting guys jobs besides his brother in laws just solely for the nice guaranteed money 

Anything I have ever heard/read, from all parties, is that Bret was desperate for Vince to give him a reason to stay. He just needed... something.

Right up until that night in Montreal I think Bret & Vince were as close as any booker/star were going to get in WWF.

If he drops the belt to Taker on his way out I think Vince would have found the money to  poach him straight back alongside Jericho, Show & The Radicalz.

8 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I was thinking to myself today that WWF missed out on having Bret around after the screwjob because between 95 till he left he either got a ton of guys in to the business like Test for example or helped people like Edge and Christian get tryouts or even had a hand in training people like Shamrock and Henry directly. Bret wasn't as hands on with getting people in WCW, probably because he didn't few WCW was worth getting guys in. From Brets perspective you probably can't blame him for not going out his way getting guys jobs besides his brother in laws just solely for the nice guaranteed money 

What's interesting to think about is there is an alternative timeline (which honestly makes a whole lot more sense) where Shawn goes down to WCW to be with his buddies and Bret sticks around. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

So as far as capturing mainstream attention, I don't know if I'd trust anyone who's hardcore into wrestling to be a great judge. (Myself included, in case anyone's going to get mad at me for saying that.)

I mean we’re discussing this topic on a message board. Does anyone under 25 even know what a message board is? Reddit excluded, maybe.

Lets face it, we’re all sitting around watching the local news / Andy Griffith Show back-to-back wondering what all the fuss about “the Metallica” is all about.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, zendragon said:

I remember Rico's finally run where he was he was Jackie Gayas camps fun friend and it was getting over , but he got cut for being 40

The Rico/Jackie/Charlie love triangle, wherein Rico was into Charlie, Charlie was into Jackie, and Jackie was into Rico, and all three were completely oblivious to the others' interest, could have been great if WWE had someone, anyone on staff that could have handled it well.  Of course, you could say that for any angle they ever did.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Anything I have ever heard/read, from all parties, is that Bret was desperate for Vince to give him a reason to stay. He just needed... something.

Right up until that night in Montreal I think Bret & Vince were as close as any booker/star were going to get in WWF.

If he drops the belt to Taker on his way out I think Vince would have found the money to  poach him straight back alongside Jericho, Show & The Radicalz.

I think that one of the reasons for Bret bitterness was that he had issues with his own father and Vince was some what of a surrogate father for him. And thats what hurt 

• Sad 2

The Nielsen Television ratings system is alright but sometimes they certainly did exaggerate the numbers for sure in the past, I highly doubt TNA really ever did 2.2 million or so viewers at one point, as previously claimed years ago.

Nielsen never really were fully accurate either from the 90's to up until somewhat in recent times with the updates to their system.

They claim to be however accurate but come on. There's no way one person counting for 10,000 people is ever going to actually be accurate.

In this digital age it boggles my mind that Nieleson doesn't enter into agreements to put viewership measuring tools into every single cable box / satellite box / digital converter / smart tv out there and get the true and accurate numbers. Is there any consumer out there that would really say no to that as part of the user agreement to sign up for cable / satellite / buying a tv? Most everyone would not even read it and just sign it and not care.

We have the technology to make it happen. Greed is the only answer for why it doesn't happen. Cable / Satellite / TV manufacturers would want a piece of the pie to allow the tech to be placed into their systems.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

In this digital age it boggles my mind that Nieleson doesn't enter into agreements to put viewership measuring tools into every single cable box / satellite box / digital converter / smart tv out there and get the true and accurate numbers. Is there any consumer out there that would really say no to that as part of the user agreement to sign up for cable / satellite / buying a tv? Most everyone would not even read it and just sign it and not care.

We have the technology to make it happen. Greed is the only answer for why it doesn't happen. Cable / Satellite / TV manufacturers would want a piece of the pie to allow the tech to be placed into their systems.

Because they have to verify that someone is actually watching and not just leave the tv on some random channel.  Also, the viewers profile (age/race/income/etc) is important data too. 

31 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

They claim to be however accurate but come on. There's no way one person counting for 10,000 people is ever going to actually be accurate.

The place I lived in when I was in grad school in 01-02 had a Nielsen box. One of my roommates was a massive coke head who was awake at all hours of the night once he got done with his shift at Denny's and would just park himself in front of the tv for hours before going out to score more. I'm sure our house skewed the ratings for whatever shitty infomercials were on at 3am and reruns of Shasta McNasty and That's My Bush.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

The Rico/Jackie/Charlie love triangle, wherein Rico was into Charlie, Charlie was into Jackie, and Jackie was into Rico, and all three were completely oblivious to the others' interest, could have been great if WWE had someone, anyone on staff that could have handled it well.  Of course, you could say that for any angle they ever did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rico Constantino was such a versatile performer, the sort of thing they like out of guys like Santino, that they really didn't get enough use out of him as a midcarder with solid in-ring talent who could make anything work. 

• Like 8

In general, I feel like pro wrestling shows in America over the past decade have struggled to maintain a well-defined midcard with compelling programs, and going back and watching a bunch of '80s WWF brings that to the fore. I think there are pockets of time where that's happened (specifically for a couple years in NXT back in the middle of the decade), but it hasn't been consistent for awhile. 

Maybe that's a bit too flowery a perception of like '84 - '90 WWF, too, but man does watching a full show feel fulfilling in that sense. It's like everyone on the card has some goal they're trying to immediately reach and maybe a secondary goal that's being set up for their next feud. 

• Like 2

Charlie Hass was such a good tag team guy. WGTT should have never been broken up and should have had a 20 year run like the Rock n Rolls or the Midnights. Enjoyed his runs with Bob Holly (another solid tag guy) and Rico.

And Campy, Fun, Face Rico was an oddly positive portrayal of gay culture in wrestling. And JR would always try to put him over. I love this exchange from I think the 2003 Royale Rumble

JR: "here's Rico former Las Vegas police officer and he's a lot tougher than he wants you to believe" 

Tazz: "You'd have to be tough to wear those pants in Red Hook"

JR: "You'd have to be tough to wear them in Oklahoma too"

• Like 6