DVDVR Message Board

Obi Wan Kenobi (SPOILERS) - Disney+ Limited Series

Dolfan in NYC

I loved every second of the finale. I’m not a Star Wars expert and don’t know the lore and all that but what I know and what I could understand made every episode bar 4 very very enjoyable. Those who are experts and super-fans may have quibbles with it and that’s fine. 

The Vader/Obi Wan duel and everything around it is one of my favourite scenes from anything ever. 

• Like 5

The finale had one of the BEST lightsaber duels in the franchise's history!
It was a satisfying ending. I like Leia's mother seeing the holster and accepting it, knowing that this is her dauhter and she will always be able to protect herself.

Vader being told by the Emperor himself to just drop Obi-Wan as there are bigger issues to deal with was really him saying "Ok, I've given you time to play. Time to do the evil grown-up work" was spot-on.

I am satisfoed, though I really want nothing else done with Reva

I feel like there was still something else that happened between Ben and Owen to go from "do you want to meet him?" to "that wizard is just a crazy old man"

James

• Like 7

That was Hayden Christensen's best line delivery in the whole series.

My only issue with the season is that they gave Obi-Wan Kenobi this deeply personal and emotional bond with Leia. She idolized him like a hero. And we just didn't get any sense of that relationship at all from A New Hope. To be fair, I found the relationship very moving, touching, and uplifting, but it still seems at odds with what was established. In A New Hope we didn't get that sense they had really met before and had this deeply profound encounter where he helped save Leia, and she helped him in turn by giving him hope for the future again.

I thought the finale hit all the right character beats with Vader and Obi-wan with the actual fight being pretty damn great as well. That went perfectly to set up their relationship come ANH. The little scenes with Leia were nice and touching as well.

Only real weakness for me were the scenes for Reva. They did what they were supposed, but at the same time I can't really say I bought into Reva's redemption. In general I thought  the writing failed newer characters. I never found myself caring about them to the extent it felt like we were supposed to. I think they would have been better off using the fourth episode to give more focus on Reva and the rest of the newer cast.

• Like 5

Well, now I get why that show needed to exist. All of the beats in that last episode hit for me in a big way. I didn't cry as much as James but I did get a little teary during the bit where he was talking to Leia at the end. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

“Mercy doesn’t defeat an enemy.”

Apparently not.

Mercy does indeed defeat an enemy.

Mercy is stronger than ruthlessness.  In order to spare a life, one must be in a position to take it away and then choose not to.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I liked the episode BUT if Obi Wan had a dropship capable of lightspeed, why not just lure the star destroyer to a safe distance, then take off for Tattooine?  OR land, give Vader time to get halfway between the Star Destroyer and the unnamed planet, and THEN nope the fuck outta there?

I know I know, because he had to face Vader.

There's also the whole instant teleporting lightspeed thing that both Reva and Obi-Wan seemed to use (plus Reva patching herself up and there being another ship capable of lightspeed lying around that base), but Star Wars seemed to stop caring about actual distances traveled years ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.H. said:

aaaaaand already rumors of McGregor wanting another season are starting to come out and I really hope we do not get that. We have closure man, let it lie!

James

Of course he wants a new season. He just got married to Mary Elizabeth Winstead, has a new baby, and likely alimony. Dude's got to keep the gravy train until the wheels come off.

• Like 1

I may need to do the math on this, but I have a theory. Everyone keeps asking the logical question of why Leia doesn't remember Obi-Wan in ANH, but, does she ever actually meet Obi-Wan, or just "Ben"? I'm beginning to wonder if she ever actually hears his real name.

11 hours ago, J.H. said:

aaaaaand already rumors of McGregor wanting another season are starting to come out and I really hope we do not get that. We have closure man, let it lie!

James

Only if it's just Obi Wan wandering Tatooine helping random strangers like Caine in Kung Fu. Fighting Tusken Raiders, helping villages, dealing with the Huts, smugglers, etc... No Vader, no Empire stuff. Just small scale. I'd watch that show. But let the overall saga be done. That last episode was pretty much perfect.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

Only if it's just Obi Wan wandering Tatooine helping random strangers like Caine in Kung Fu. Fighting Tusken Raiders, helping villages, dealing with the Huts, smugglers, etc... No Vader, no Empire stuff. Just small scale. I'd watch that show. But let the overall saga be done. That last episode was pretty much perfect.

This!   No overarching story... just an Obi-Wanthology!

James

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

Have to admit it would be fun to see the Kenobi/Krrsantan fight done on screen. Otherwise I also would rather they leave well enough alone.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, keith_h said:

There are already two Star Wars series doing that.

The reactions to the last episode are interesting. Casuals seem to like it. The really hardcore who have watched Clone Wars or read the Marvel comics seem to like it. The people in the middle who have seen the movies a bunch of times but little else seem to loathe it and be really bothered by it.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1