DVDVR Message Board

Obi Wan Kenobi (SPOILERS) - Disney+ Limited Series

Dolfan in NYC

I’m largely enjoying this show overall.  The little girl playing Leia was much better handled this episode.  

The editing could be a bit tighter.  

I’m also enjoying the familiar music cues that never quite get to what we know in totality.  That’s a nice touch.

Am I nuts, or did they blend James Earl Jones' and Hayden's voice together? I feel like they did something like that in Rebels too, but the line delivery felt way more "Anakin" than "Vader". Even some of Hayden's inflections were there.

I found the Zach Braff cameo to be pretty funny since he doesn't give a single shit about Star Wars, and Donald Faison is obsessed with it. You know Donald is going to be hot about it lol.

Episode 3 was a solid entry. We actually got to Obi-Wan facing Vader faster than I expected. It went exactly how it should have given everything that has happened so far.

I actually like how Leia has been portrayed so far. She has annoying points, but they make sense to me for someone at her age who is also decently spoiled. I like how this seems to be a bit of an awakening to Empire for her.

Have to be honest while I feel for Moses Ingram having to put up with racist bs, I'm not really digging Reva. Ingram does fine with what she is given, but so many aspects of the character just kind of bore me. She just feels too basic.

Edited by Eivion

Is this actually it for Vader in the series, save for maybe some Anakin mental communications stuff and scene at the end where he punishes someone or what not?

Narratively, Obi Wan hit bottom here with Vader raking him through fire and Leia getting kidnapped and now he's got to go after her, beat Reva cleanly, redeem himself, etc. The resolution with Vader comes in A New Hope.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Well, we also are going to get payoff with Obi-Wan communicating with Qui-Gon

James

Sure, the journey here is to rescue Leia but more so for Obi-Wan to find peace after what's happened and commune with the force after his faith in it and himself has been shaken and come to accept the hope of the future, to grow into the person that Luke needs him to be even if he owns the fact that he hadn't yet been able to be the person that Anakin needed.

• Like 1

The payoff is almost certanly Qui-Gon finally showing up as a ghost and kicking Obi-Wan in the ass to get his shit together, and that leads him over Reva at the least.  Probably another win over Vader to square up the "When last we met I was but the learner" which doesn't jive with Vader kicking his ass this episode.  

That's assuming this writer/showrunner cares about continuity, which is already questionable.

• Like 1

One other Part 3 thing:

I really liked how they used Vader as a threat/fighter/danger. He was using the force to just destroy people, but he did it in a matter-of-fact, methodological way. I know some people love the end of Rogue One, but it's way over the top for me. I like the idea that Vader can kill you with a flick of his wrist so he doesn't have to be super ninja Vader or whatever we got at the end of Rogue One. This Vader was ripping people apart with flicks of his wrist and that's way more foreboding and horrific to me.

• Like 1

To be fair, the Rebels at the end of Rogue One were unloading blasters at him, he had to have the lightsaber going and working on his blaster absorption, he's still mortal.  Everyone he did in Part 3 were unarmed, so of course he barely had to exert anything other than the bare minimal Force energy.

• Like 1

I don't recall ninja Vader in Rogue one, just a horror movie monster ripping through Rebels. Then again it has been a while since I caught the scene. I loved that scene as its slightly a toned down version of what he did in the Vader down story in the comics where the Rebels thought numbers would totally overwhelm him. They were wrong. They were very wrong.

The scene here was nice and not really the same thing as this was more of hunt where Vader was drawing out his prey. He could take his time.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Definitely a drop in quality from Mando and even Boba. Some of the editing in episode 3 was laughable. Especially the geography of the tunnel being confusing and Obi Wan's endless ducking and diving out of the mounds of dirt. Deborah Chow has never had more than a single episode run of TV before and the main writer has 6 unremarkable credits and it shows. Seems like poor decision making from Disney. Should have just backed the money truck up for Filoni and Favreau and just let them do it, no matter how long it took. Hopefully the last 3 episodes get better. Reva is a cool character though and Ewan is doing what he does best in Star Wars and trying to make chicken salad etc.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:40 AM, Casey said:

I’m still really curious how Hayden is going to be in this show. Flashbacks? Vader mask off scenes or something?

He's played Vader so far in both of the unmasked scenes and in the quick part where Obi Wan is hallucinating and sees Anakin.

25 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Ok, I'm not the only one really disappointed in this show, right?

Almost all aspects of it are mediocre to terrible.  The directing, the acting, the script, and the set pieces are all lacking.  This show shouldn't have been made.  One of the writers on the show didn't know Anakin was Vader, so they don't even have people that care about the story working on it.  Can't wait to find out why Leia refers to Kenobi as someone that "fought with her father in the Clone Wars" and not "guy who saved me twice 9 years ago".  

This episode was just so boring and made no sense.  They copied both Fallen Order and A New Hope with the water coming in and the "I let them get away because I put a tracker on them" stuff.  The fact Vader hasn't snapped Reva's neck yet is crazy.  Officers were killed for screwing up less than her.  

The writers not knowing pretty much anything else that happened in SW outside of easter eggs being fed to them is pretty obvious.  I was kinda willing to overlook the massive plotholes because I thought they might be able to wrap it up nice.  After the last couple episodes, yeah, I'm not confident the last 2 episodes are going to stick the landing.

Once again, Ewan McGregor is trying to carry a lesser Star Wars entry on his back. He has been good as always, but the total disregard for continuity in this show is frustrating.  There are things in this that I like, and the skeleton of a good show is there, but the absence of Filoni being there to keep things in check is glaring.

Some of the stuff being brought up feels kind of hollow as complaints. Leia referring to Kenobi as someone her father knew vs. the guy who rescued her is a weird complaint as both are accurate and don't necessarily mean much more than the other. The biggest plot holes are 3rd Sister knowing of Anakin being Vader and the stuff with the Grand Inquisitor. Otherwise most seems in line with history well enough. One of the writers didn't know Anakin was Vader? (I question if this is legit), The actual director/showrunner worked on Mandalorian and had/has a direct line to Filoni.

I don't think the show is great, but McGregor has probably given his strongest performance as Kenobi in the series. The actress playing young Leia is good, and the character beats match up to what you would expect from her at this stage with the events also helping to set up the badass Princess/general we come to know later. You can hear a renewed vigor in Jones voice when he is doing Vader lines. Indira Varma is good as always.

The biggest weak point are the Inquisitors, and that seems mostly because of miscasting and weak ideas. Ingram does as well as she can with what she has been given, but the character is boring and not the best main antagonist.

Overall, I think the series has been solid even with its weaker points. At a certain point though I can't help but think there is really nothing that can be done to satisfy the fandom as too many want different things. Feels like whenever the slightest bit is off people lean towards hate.

All that said, I did think this was the weakest episode. Not much in terms of characters arc moving forward. Things were focused more around action which was fine but not the most interesting thing about the show or series in general. They probably were given more episodes than necessary. I did find the idea of that base being Jedi mausoleum interesting. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 5

I dont get the criticisms at all. I love the show, but I've only seen one season of mandalorian, and it was poorly paced boredom for the most part. To each their own, but more obi wan and Vader is never a bad thing. This is far above the sequels and most of the prequels for me. . .

• Like 2

I continue to enjoy The Princess Leia Power Hour featuring Grumpy Uncle Ben Kenobi.  I was totally ready to hear Leia tell Reva to go and eat a bowl of Tauntaun dung because I'm not telling you anything, lady, right before Reva went batshit and decided that poking the kid with white hot needles would be a better plan.

How awesome and ruthless of a villain is Reva that she is perfectly willing to torture a child and put a tracker on a kid's toy to gain the favor of her master?  I have been waiting for someone to write a proper script where the Sith are fucking EVIL rather than misunderstood emo caricatures and it has finally happened. 

Vader is such a petty douche that he tried to set Obi-Wan on fire and make Kenobi suffer in the same manner that he did.  THAT is the behavior I expect from a Sith Lord.

RIP Tera Sinube.  You were a good homie.

If I was Indira Varma's husband, I'd have her wear the Imperial Officer's outfit around the house at least once.  I think it is the sight of her wearing the hat and the shiny boots that does it for me.

I am also down with El Hijo del Ice Cube working for the forces of goodness and rebellion.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, roofiethebutcher said:

Almost all aspects of it are mediocre to terrible.  The directing, the acting, the script, and the set pieces are all lacking.  This show shouldn't have been made.  One of the writers on the show didn't know Anakin was Vader, so they don't even have people that care about the story working on it.  Can't wait to find out why Leia refers to Kenobi as someone that "fought with her father in the Clone Wars" and not "guy who saved me twice 9 years ago".  

This episode was just so boring and made no sense.  They copied both Fallen Order and A New Hope with the water coming in and the "I let them get away because I put a tracker on them" stuff.  The fact Vader hasn't snapped Reva's neck yet is crazy.  Officers were killed for screwing up less than her.  

What writer didn't know he was Anakin?