DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania Dynamite - 3/30/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Hey, Dangerous Suplex Queen, Marina Shafir got her own package!  Excalibur lifts Kamaru Usman's interview from his debut fight and dubs Marina a PROBLEM~!  Jade's been real good lately so I hope this match turns out to be decent.   It amuses me that this is being booked as Jade's biggest test even though she has wins over bigger names like Ruby Soho and Thunder Rosa (technically Jade cheated to win...)  Marina should be the underdog in this match.  I would definitely book Jade's first loss to be against Marina, but not in a title match.  Jade is like the sole fighting champion in this federation.

The Ass Boys may be the best heels in the fed.  I cannot blame Billy for looking out for his sons and nearly concussing Cash Wheeler.  You cannot say that Billy isn't a concerned father.  Ending was chaotic but not a clusterfuck.  I like the teasing of dissention in the ranks.  Bucks vs. FTR should be a tidy spotfest.  It would not entirely be out of character for MJF to recruit the Bucks into the Pinnacle after screwing over FTR.  Hopefully the match is for the AAA titles.  The Bucks seem to be at their dickish best when gold is on the line.

Wardlow is a fucking monster.

Punk attempting to cripple Max Caster made me smile.  This is how you show those rookie shits who the battle-tested veteran is.  If you can't keep up, don't step up.

Mox vs. Lethal was a perfectly fine ROH main event and they even adhered to the Code of Honor.  There were almost feels felt.

It was good to see Toni Storm happy and motivated again.  The Bunny won that match even in defeat.  Was that a spot of ring rust at the finish?  That short piledriver looked like it was an attempted power bomb that got away from Toni.  

JAS being the jamokes that get smashed by angry Puerto Rican men every week works fine by me, especially if Kingston brings in Homicide and somebody else to even the odds.  Do Dan Maff and Homicide still hate each other?  Those dudes need to patch things up for the sake of the fans.  

Wheeler Yuta may have taken the single greatest assbeating ever received in pro wrestling and of course it was Bryan Danielson delivering the boots.  Did Yuta have chaw or oatmeal in his mouth when he spat on Dragon?  That loogie was pretty chunky.   I'd have legit stomped the living shit out of Yuta too if he spewed a wad of goo on me like that.

Andrade vs Allin was the war we all deserved.  It was good to see Andrade get the high profile win he desperately needed to maintain his legitimacy and it was also good to see Darby in a main event.  AFO is still a disjointed bunch of goons, but at least they know when to run in and when to die on camera.  Allin and Jeff Hardy will be roommates in some trauma home for victims of spinal cord injuries someday.  Sting and Matt will push them around outside in wheelchairs so that they can get some fresh air.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The Ass Boys may be the best heels in the fed.  I cannot blame Billy for looking Iout for his sons and nearly concussing Cash Wheeler.  You cannot say that Billy isn't a concerned father.  Ending was chaotic but not a clusterfuck.  I like the teasing of dissention in the ranks.  Bucks vs. FTR should be a tidy spotfest.  It would not entirely be out of character for MJF to recruit the Bucks into the Pinnacle after screwing over FTR.  Hopefully the match is for the AAA titles.

After rewatching the match this morning, I'm thinking that Colton is leaning towards the Stevie Ray of the tagteam since he totally whiffed on grabbing Cash's leg on the apron and then kinda fucked up the grabbing of the legs during the Dax into the ring brainbuster.  But he is more athletic, though he is less douchey than the glorious Austin.  I'm just waiting for the inevitably great FTR/ReDragon feud.

Speaking of which, Toni Storm vs Jamie Hayter or Toni Storm vs Serena Deeb?  Oh man.....

• Like 2

I'd be hesitant to put Storm against either of them so soon after Toni's debut since I hate to see Jamie Hayter and Serena Deeb lose, but Deeb's record could probably weather a loss better than Jamie Hayter.  Deeb vs. Storm would be good because Excalibur had the good taste to pimp Toni's championship pedigree, so you've got a match of high level opponents / former titleholders there. There's something you can sell without too much history booking.

On paper, Hayter should be the underdog in a match against Toni Storm and Jamie's record needs wins.   I'd at least build Jamie up and let her hit a few sheer drop brainbusters on Dark for a couple of weeks before jobbing her to Storm on Dynamite or Rampage.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I'd be hesitant to put Storm against either of them so soon after Toni's debut since I hate to see Jamie Hayter and Serena Deeb lose, but Deeb's record could probably weather a loss better than Jamie Hayter.  Deeb vs. Storm would be good because Excalibur had the good taste to pimp Toni's championship pedigree, so you've got a match of high level opponents / former titleholders there. There's something you can sell without too much history booking.

On paper, Hayter should be the underdog in a match against Toni Storm and Jamie's record needs wins.   I'd at least build Jamie up and let her hit a few sheer drop brainbusters on Dark for a couple of weeks before jobbing her to Storm on Dynamite or Rampage.

I'm assuming that Hayter or Deeb versus Storm for the final of the Owen Hart Cup.  Hell, Hikaru Shida vs Storm.  They should create a Champions That Don't Need Belts in the women's division with Hayter, Storm, Deeb, Shida, Rhio and Ruby Soho like they have with Moxley, Danielson, Punk and the Young Bucks.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The beauty of AEW is very rarely does a talent get buried in a loss. Nobody gets treated like Ricochet got done last Friday and Monday. Victories matter but hard fought losses won't ruin a character.

• Like 11

40 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I'm assuming that Hayter or Deeb versus Storm for the final of the Owen Hart Cup.  Hell, Hikaru Shida vs Storm.  They should create a Champions That Don't Need Belts in the women's division with Hayter, Storm, Deeb, Shida, Rhio and Ruby Soho like they have with Moxley, Danielson, Punk and the Young Bucks.

Shida vs. Storm would be a good final.  Excalibur would shit himself shilling all of the experience both ladies have had in Japan and that helps sell AEW as the NWA for a new generation complete with global appeal that draws international talent.  Storm and Shida are not afraid to throw potatoes or drop someone on their head, so I know there would be stiff offense.

Realistically, I'd book Deeb vs. Storm as the final.  Storm looked a bit rusty last night and Deeb could carry her own shadow to a five star match.  If you are going to book Storm to win the whole deal to cement her arrival, it may as well be a hard fought match against a fellow former champion who just happens to be a wrestling machine.  With Storm being the face there is no pressure on her.  All she has to do is die to Deeb's offense and score a flash pin at the last minute.  VETERAN PRESENCE~!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Shida vs. Storm would be a good final.  Excalibur would shit himself shilling all of the experience both ladies have had in Japan and that helps sell AEW as the NWA for a new generation complete with global appeal that draws international talent.  Storm and Shida are not afraid to throw potatoes or drop someone on their head, so I know there would be stiff offense.

Realistically, I'd book Deeb vs. Storm as the final.  Storm looked a bit rusty last night and Deeb could carry her own shadow to a five star match.  If you are going to book Storm to win the whole deal to cement her arrival, it may as well be a hard fought match against a fellow former champion who just happens to be a wrestling machine.  With Storm being the face there is no pressure on her.  All she has to do is die to Deeb's offense and score a flash pin at the last minute.

Storm looked great.  My favorite was when she sold Bunny's superkick like a fucking tackling dummy.  That was like Ray Stevens.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Storm looked great.  My favorite was when she sold Bunny's superkick like a fucking tackling dummy.  That was like Ray Stevens.

She looked energetic, motivated, and she sold well.  That kinda piledriver finish was a little botchy, IMO, but Toni Storm has usually been the good worker in search of a good finisher.  I was not a big fan of here WWE finishers.

Remember when we had Sharpshooter / Scorpion Night and Cartwheel Night?  Last night I counted at least three piledrivers.

Edited by J.T.

Weeeeeeeee!

I fucking LOVE AEW. (duh)

Welcome to manhood Wheeler Yuta.  

Mox helped turn me around on Lethal quite a bit.  Even though I knew Mox was winning. That sell of the leg by Mox gave Jay miles of cred in the match that he wouldn’t otherwise have.  The Lethal Injection has a massive blind spot in execution that have been exploited a couple of weeks in a row now.  However, this week, he was ready for it and did the Bret Hart counter to the Bulldog Choke.  Slick.

Killer diss track from Max Caster.  More please.

The Bunny sure seems a lot more than she used to be.  Getting onboard with this much improved performer.  Toni Storm is ok.  We’ll see.

Andrade and Darby was a quality Main Event.  

I find myself reading everybody’s responses to AEW closely.  I’m really curious as to how differently people seem to perceive the product.  In contrast to years or reading posts of frustrated fans baffled by the odd and often nonsensical choices made by WWE.  It’s still refreshing a couple of years in to see wrestling fans ENJOYING wrestling again.  I know I am.  I’m even thinking of buying the ROH show on Friday.  

This is awesome.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Remember when we had Sharpshooter / Scorpion Night and Cartwheel Night?  Last night I counted at least three piledrivers.

Being older than time itself, I believe every wrestling night should be piledriver night.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Being older than time itself, I believe every wrestling night should be piledriver night.

It saddens me that Moxley no longer uses Mankind's Package Piledriver spot.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I really enjoyed the random Leva Bates cameo, too.  It's always fun when characters from the AEW Extended Universe get to show up on TV.

I like the Rocky III booking of Smart Mark Sterling picking tomato can opponents for Jade, but she wants to get in the ring with bonafide killer Marina Shafir to prove to everyone that she is the true fighting champ of the ladies' division.

In a proper world, this is a non-title match where Shafir murders Jade and hands her the first blemish on her record.  This works best if Excalibur sells Jade's knees as her weakness stemming from the TBS title match with Thunder Rosa, and Marina targets Jade's legs to soften her up for the Greedy.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I like the Rocky III booking of Smart Mark Sterling picking tomato can opponents for Jade, but she wants to get in the ring with bonafide killer Marina Shafir to prove to everyone that she is the true fighting champ of the ladies' division.

I have really been enjoying Sterling and his 'lawyer to the heels' bit lately.  He's just the perfect level of smarmy.  I do think Jade might be getting to the point where she doesn't really need a mouthpiece, though.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I have really been enjoying Sterling and his 'lawyer to the heels' bit lately.  He's just the perfect level of smarmy.  I do think Jade might be getting to the point where she doesn't really need a mouthpiece, though.

Well, she's been turning face from the moment they showed her daughter on camera.

• Like 4

The best thing I can say about this show was that when it was over, I immediately wanted to watch it again.

AEW heels are too good at what they do. I don't want to boo The Acclaimed. I don't want to boo Powerhouse Hobbs or Ricky Starks. I mean I know I don't have to but they are the "bad guys." Speaking of which, isn't about time The Acclaimed got a big win? 

Yuta + BCC = Joy

Darby dying for our sins will never get old.

Jade is a license to print money. Cut the shit Tony.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I thought it was Rocky V that had the tomato can booking for Union Kane.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

The beauty of AEW is very rarely does a talent get buried in a loss. Nobody gets treated like Ricochet got done last Friday and Monday. Victories matter but hard fought losses won't ruin a character.

Well said.  I've only seen a couple Riccochet bouts, but was awfully impressed.  I suspect he'll be an excellent addition some Wednesday night in the future.  

2 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

The Bunny sure seems a lot more than she used to be.  Getting onboard with this much improved performer.  Toni Storm is ok.  We’ll see.

I'm with you on that.  She seemed very much expendable for a long time.  I'm sure I overlooked a Dark bout here or there, but the street fight was the turn around for me.  This Storm bout furthers the sentiment.  I think Toni had some ring rust, but clearly there's a star quality beyond her beauty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm with you on that.  She seemed very much expendable for a long time.  I'm sure I overlooked a Dark bout here or there, but the street fight was the turn around for me.  This Storm bout furthers the sentiment.  I think Toni had some ring rust, but clearly there's a star quality beyond her beauty.

Storm is just on a different level than the rest of the division.  AEW ladies are at the highest level WWE women's division good (which is really good), some are indie good, a lot are green and promising.  Storm is Stardom good.  She lays it in and plays it really big.  The Bunny got to up her game and lay it in and had the best match I've seen her have because Toni Storm is at a different level.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

To me they’ve already got a big part of the answer for the top of the women’s roster on hand already in Jamie Hayter, and I hope they realize what they have with her. Two months ago I would have said Deeb as well, but she’s featured now. 

Hayter and Hobbs are kind of similar to me right now. Hosses in stables that need to stop jobbing and being background for group promos, and become a nearer-term focus.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

To me they’ve already got a big part of the answer for the top of the women’s roster on hand already in Jamie Hayter, and I hope they realize what they have with her. Two months ago I would have said Deeb as well, but she’s featured now. 

Hayter and Hobbs are kind of similar to me right now. Hosses in stables that need to stop jobbing and being background for group promos, and become a nearer-term focus.

I think both of them are in a bit of a holding pattern until the Wardlow angle plays out.  

• Like 3