DVDVR Message Board

MOON KNIGHT (SPOILER TALK)

This is probably the most disappointed I've been by a Marvel show since Iron Fist S1 and Netflix Defenders. I found the show very frustrating and disappointing. 

Too much goofy Steven Grant. Not enough Moon Knight, Marc Spector and pretty much everything that makes Moon Knight such an interesting character.

The whole show is based around Egyptian mythology, which is only really significant because of Moon Knight's connection to Khonshu.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

This is probably the most disappointed I've been by a Marvel show since Iron Fist S1 and Netflix Defenders. I found the show very frustrating and disappointing. 

Too much goofy Steven Grant. Not enough Moon Knight, Marc Spector and pretty much everything that makes Moon Knight such an interesting character.

The whole show is based around Egyptian mythology, which is only really significant because of Moon Knight's connection to Khonshu.

Cheers, Jeffrey. Going back some that with Iron Fist Season 1 and The Defenders. The Defenders or Jessica Jones Season 2 was the most disappointing to me. Got halfway through the latter without finishing it.

What's your #1-2 Disney± Marvel TV show so far? I have Loki on top spot narrowly ahead of WandaVision.

Edited by The Natural

Disney+ Marvel TV is a mixed bag. Thought Loki and WandaVision were great, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier was meh with shitty baddies, liked the little of What...If? I've seen needing to finish it, Hawkeye has its moments thanks to Kate and Yelena. Loki was the only one to stick the landing.

Edited by The Natural

38 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm leery of what I will expect to be hypervioence, especially coming soon after Peacemaker. 

I should dig the mythology stuff, depending on how they do it. 

• Like 1

I can see why they gave critics 4 episodes, if so little actuslly happens in each one. 

I also hope the "hit you over the head" pop songs will eventually stop or at least slow down. 

Hawke was good.

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

It would make more sense for Disney if there was a shorter gap between shows. If you always had a new show week in and week out, it's like network TV. But if you go 2 or 3 months between the end of 1 show and the start of the next, not as much. 

FPFM5FwWUAEhdmK?format=jpg&name=large

FPFPJL4X0AYOMrH?format=jpg&name=large

I enjoyed the opening episode bringing forth the confusion the character Steven Grant goes through as the viewer watches. I know next to nothing about Moon Knight.

Edited by The Natural

I enjoyed Moon Knight episode 1.  The episode itself wasn’t nearly as violent as I’d heard suggested in media.  Of course they held back a bit in part to sell how mind fucked Steven is.  

But it was certainly more violent than the run of shows D+ has released thus far.  

Anybody have a clue how or if it’ll be woven into the MCU at large?

I was entertained watching it but it was a pretty conventional watch and they'll have to do a lot more in the next 5 episodes to have me even caring if they continue on with the character. I was hoping that they'd do something creative and interesting with the DID but it really felt like nothing that hadn't been done before and definitely not pushing any boundaries. Also Steven come off as a complete caricature that I had no empathy or reason to even care about. I honestly could do with the personality being done away with very soon.

Mostly this just makes me wish that My Own Worst Enemy wasn't cancelled so early.

Edited by blitzkrieg
  • Like 1

Steven's characterization is my main issue with the show. They built the narrative around him, and it's so annoying.

In the comics, Marc created the Steven persona as a rich playboy to monitor and rub elbows with the wealthy elite.

• Like 2

I liked it a lot. That 40 or so minutes FLEW by. I want more, for sure. I'm okay with it not being hyperviolent or whatever - actually kind of love the scenes where Steven blacks out and wakes up to see what he did as Marc. This isn't The Boys, I don't need MCU stuff to have exploding heads or anything. This is perfectly acceptable.

That said, though - I am kind of ready to get this show over with so I can get to Ms. Marvel ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I enjoyed it a lot, especially Issacs and Hawke. Nice to have the antagonist in the open right away for once, unless there's more (probably is) Khonshu design is creepy as heck so that fits. The only big downside for me was the music choices and comedy bits during the car chance, pulled me out of the moment more than once. 

I'm not bothered by the changes made to Steven's persona, but I fear Marvel worries about having any rich playboy type being compared to Stark. I'm also wondering if Marc is really the main personality, and Steven's there to keep him okay between the violence, both as a mercenary before and now Moon Knight. 

Why?

Oh, and there’s a QR code on the wall when that Steven is explaining that sarcophagus to a little girl. The QR code gives you a free digital copy of Werewolf by Night #32.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2022 at 1:33 AM, odessasteps said:

I'm leery of what I will expect to be hypervioence, especially coming soon after Peacemaker. 

20 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

But it was certainly more violent than the run of shows D+ has released thus far.  

Disney appears to be dialing back violence -- I saw a story yesterday about them going back and digitally removing some of the graphic stuff from Falcon & Winter Soldier.

Edited by Technico Support