DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/23/22

1 minute ago, Stefanie the Human said:
  Hide contents

There have actually been an awful lot of bills trying to erase trans folks from society over the last several years, it's just never been this intensely noticed by the rest of y'all.

(And thank you for noticing btw. Because we're very tired of being treated as subhuman.)

Also, when Nyla won the belt back in 2020, transphobes lost their shit, so I'm sure this will make them just as angry.

Spoiler

I had actually forgot that Nyla had the title 2 years ago, but part of her reign was during the pandemic empty arena era that I didn't pay a lot of attention to when it happened. I'm not sure if I wanna depend on people spending their time online as transphobes remembering 2 years ago in wrestling

Anyways... I'm also not sure about the people trying to fantasybook CM Punk into a match with Page (or Cole?) for the title. They've done a reasonable job at not having guys who recently jumped from WWE monopolize the titles. Having Bryan putting over Page is more productive to the big picture, so idk if having Page go into another match where the crowd is split and retaining does much that hasn't been done already, and Punk might not 'need' the title, whatever what means.

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Anyways... I'm also not sure about the people trying to fantasybook CM Punk into a match with Page (or Cole?) for the title.

People like ... Tony Khan? With Punk making the "belt" motion two shows in a row, we're clearly meant to be thinking about it.

3 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

The thing about Sammy is he's the sort of smiley obnoxious prick that folks like these days. Like a YouTuber or streamer. 

I don't know why we're surprised that Sammy Guevarra is acting like massively over babyface Jericho in the early 2000s.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:
  Hide contents

There have actually been an awful lot of bills trying to erase trans folks from society over the last several years, it's just never been this intensely noticed by the rest of y'all.

(And thank you for noticing btw. Because we're very tired of being treated as subhuman.)

Also, when Nyla won the belt back in 2020, transphobes lost their shit, so I'm sure this will make them just as angry.

The transphobes on Facebook are out in full force about it already. The comments are truly disgusting. 

• Sad 5

Just now, Dog said:

People like ... Tony Khan? With Punk making the "belt" motion two shows in a row, we're clearly meant to be thinking about it.

yeah, we've probably tapped the limit for CM Punk hot feuds and dream matches without going to him getting a title match down the road. But there's 2 months until Double or Nothing, so either they do Page/Cole before Punk goes in May, or Punk sorta has to do something for awhile until they slot that in for All Out or something similar?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Anyways... I'm also not sure about the people trying to fantasybook CM Punk into a match with Page (or Cole?) for the title. They've done a reasonable job at not having guys who recently jumped from WWE monopolize the titles. 

No worries here, I don’t think Punk meets that description. ? 

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The transphobes on Facebook are out in full force about it already. The comments are truly disgusting. 

It's their way of forcing trans people out of society. Hope that by complaining loudly and virulently, people will back away from putting trans folks in any sort of role. Because after all, if you can't legislate us out, just complain constantly that we exist and hope that people who aren't trans go "well jeez, look at this barrage we get any time we put them on the show. Can't have that."

It's how a lot of trans folks either feel like a burden, or they become like me and get really angry and bitter but still try to bite their tongues so they don't chase away whatever possible support we have. (And sometimes, we still feel like a burden anyway.)

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

Anyone watching a TSN feed (or actual TSN) think Sophie Chan is actually a bad mother for lying to her kids like that?

When she does it like eight times in two hours, yeah, kind of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

yeah, we've probably tapped the limit for CM Punk hot feuds and dream matches without going to him getting a title match down the road. But there's 2 months until Double or Nothing, so either they do Page/Cole before Punk goes in May, or Punk sorta has to do something for awhile until they slot that in for All Out or something similar?

I'm perfectly fine with CM Punk vs Hangman Page vs Adam Cole for the title at Double Or Nothing, if that's where we're going. But I think Cole/Hangman finishes up pretty soon, probably Battle of the Belts 2, and we move into Punk challenging for the title.

AEW World Champion CM Punk headlining West Coast shows is something a lot of us didn't even think was possible this time last year, much less a year before that when the world was shutting down.

• Like 3

Hell of an action packed start with the awesome Punk/Dax match followed by the crazy 8 man tag and then the Blackpool Combat Club. 

Enjoyed Red/Leyla. Red's spring off the steps rana was good stuff.  Thought the Sammy/Lambert back and forth was amusing.

Nyla makes sense as an easy to heat up first challenger for Thunder. Fun main event tag. 

Love that the Swerve/Starks match is gonna be on Rampage in Austin, 4 years since their indy match in the same area. Also down for Archer/Dustin which came out of nowhere but that little video set it up really well, simply and effective. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Eddie Kingston didn't like it either:

Cool how Eddie speaks his mind.

The TNT title doesn't represent Brodie Lee.

I love Eddie, but goddamn does he take pro wrestling way too seriously.

• Like 1

Put me down on the list of people who hated that Guevara segment and that was even before he insinuated that he spunked on the title belt. I honestly thought the two of them were heels all of a sudden at the beginning. Very smarmy and obnoxious characters.

• Like 2

Got home a little while ago and read through the thread. Whoever said the first hour was loaded and the second hour was a drag was pretty much right. Also glad to read people call the Austin crowd hot, we certainly tried. It was close to a sell out.

One thing that was confirmed to me live was that there are a lot of people who love the singalong (Cole in particular, Jericho as well) who spend the rest of match quiet or rooting for the face.

I’ll go through the matches later, but one thing I wanted to mention is that I think @Lawful Metalmentioned that last time they were in Austin, Jesus was in the crowd. This happened again, some dude dressed like Jesus was in the lower level (you might here a chant for him during Dark if they don’t overdub it). During the MJF promo, somehow people started chanting for Jesus in reference to him, which prompted MJF’s fucking brilliant but also could be perceived as problematic line about nailing Wardlow to the cross.

There was a pretty good Matt Hardy/Isaiah Kassidy match briefly happening while the concession stand brawl was going on. We could watch the brawl on the screen while the other match was sort of happening.

In terms of crowd response, The Hardys and Sting were nuclear over. Moxley was more over than Danielson, and we all wanted to hear Regal. Punk was WAY over. Lethal was more over than the crowd chants would suggest, that was the match where people just wanted to do the competing chants. The JAS segment fell almost as flat as that horrific Sammy/Tay/Lambert segment. Just fucking brutal. No offense to Tay, but live she came off like a mannequin capable of a pageant wave. Crowd was also dead for Hirsch/Velvet.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

For the record, I had turned the channel and missed the Guevara segment. So I saw the Conti tweet before I knew there was a segment about that tweet.

In the real world, the whole circumstance for how Sammy went from his fiance to Conti is kinda heelish (but then again, this is wrestling, the guys who have spouses who aren't in the business have pulled off some voodoo). Since he's not a heel at the moment, one sorta has to dance around that. Or I guess a heel could suggest that Sammy or Conti will sleep around on the other without saying something too shooty that makes Sammy look bad?

Maybe there's a Sammyverse now that Cody's gone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

For the record, I had turned the channel and missed the Guevara segment. So I saw the Conti tweet before I knew there was a segment about that tweet.

In the real world, the whole circumstance for how Sammy went from his fiance to Conti is kinda heelish (but then again, this is wrestling, the guys who have spouses who aren't in the business have pulled off some voodoo). Since he's not a heel at the moment, one sorta has to dance around that. Or I guess a heel could suggest that Sammy or Conti will sleep around on the other without saying something too shooty that makes Sammy look bad?

Maybe there's a Sammyverse now that Cody's gone.

It felt like the promo was supposed to be a final face turn for Sammy after leaving the Inner Circle, but then it just horribly horribly wrong.

I think Punk and Dax had a great opener. They probably shouldn't have waited until two hours before to announce it.

Seeing Matt and Jeff Hardy take bumps like that right now just scares me. Matt's head hitting concrete in that botched table spot is still fresh in my mind. That Hardy ladder spot just looked ugly. They do not look like they should be taking those kind of bumps anymore. Matt's at least looked somewhat safer, more gimmicked. 

I think ultimately, you're going to have to have Moxley and Danielson go after the tag titles to make this angle with Regal mean anything. If they do hold the belts for a bit, you at least have a monstrous tag team that would be pretty huge for whoever beats them.

So they've subbed Sammy and Tay Conti for Cody and Brandi. I'm not sure this was an upgrade. Got nothing against Sammy and Tay, but I hope things don't end badly for them. Considering the industry we're in, odds are not in their favor.

Whatever they are doing with Julia Hart I hope it goes somewhere and Varsity Blonds will somehow benefit from it in some way. 

• Like 1