DVDVR Message Board

Remembering Scott Hall (1958-2022)

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Scott Hall is supposedly on life support after suffering three heart attacks

https://twitter.com/PWTorch/status/1503016081119535104 

Fuck man... 

A few years ago me and some friends when to a House of Glory show and Hall did a meet and greet before. In the days after I was kicking myself because I would have loved a photo with him and wanted to tell him that I was glad he was doing so well and that Razor was one my favorites as a kid.

Bad times don't last, but bad guys do.
48 minutes ago, Octopus said:

What wrestler makes you unreasonably happy? Just seeing them in a match and you can help but smile. Whether how the act or their personality or even nostalgia, just the idea of them brings you joy. 

Me and my friends I watch the pro graps with just adore Hiromu. I love cats and they're big punk fans so he's like this amalgamation of everything we love. His match with Ospreay at WK a few years ago just blew my mind and I love how most of the LIJ guys are all chill almost to a fault but they still love him as the out there one.

During the pandemic I got super in Tanahashi. He was having an MVP run of quality matches but also just like, in that darkness it felt like I needed a hero to root for and he just fit the bill. I went to a Rev Pro show 'mania weekend once and it was him and Osprey vs. ZSJ and Suzuki. It was totally a Suzuki crowd (myself included) but when Go Ace hit and seeing him in person for the first time, dude really has that "once in a 100 years talent" aura to him. 

For past, most of the old guard ECW guys especially Taz, Sabu, Raven, Van Dam, Sandman. Living in Jersey I remember when friends started talking up this insane wrestling show late late late Saturday nights and how it was nothing like Raw or Nitro but had this totally magnetic quality to it. Everyone in my high school was wearing nWo shirts so I got to feel a little cool like "yeaaah but I know when the real good shit is on." 

• Like 2

(if this is the wrong thread, I apologize)

According to Marc Mero, Scott Hall is on life support due to multiple heart attacks after a long hip surgery.

Sounds to me like he got blood clots which further damaged his heart, which would already be a mess from the years of drugs and drinking. Hope he pulls through OK.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, JLSigman said:

(if this is the wrong thread, I apologize)

According to Marc Mero, Scott Hall is on life support due to multiple heart attacks after a long hip surgery.

Sounds to me like he got blood clots which further damaged his heart, which would already be a mess from the years of drugs and drinking. Hope he pulls through OK.

Kevin Nash just posted on Instagram that once Scott's family is in place, they will discontinue life support. ?

• Sad 11

I rarely cry about the deaths of pro wrestlers - Owen repeatedly and Brodie Lee are the two exceptions to the rule because they were just so unfair.

Cried in the car on the way home seeing that post from Nash - not sure whether it was the way he worded it so well, or just a realisation that one of the absolute early favourites of my fandom is gone. It wasn't because it was too soon, it was probably twenty years later than it had any right to be. 

The guy was the epitome of cool to me. I worked Hey Yo and Mang into far too many sentences. His punches looked brutal. His sell of other guy's punches only slightly better. The sack of shit toss slam was one of the rare examples of a nothing move adding to the guy's character, it just made him look like a mean son of a bitch, and he was able to tweak the mannerisms and delivery of it so well to suit a babyface or a heel. I don't think there was a better example of the top of the card gatekeeper. 

Rough news. I feel for Kevin Nash. I feel for his long suffering ex-wife who probably expected this day for a long time and in worse circumstances. I'm glad he was able to get a second chance at it, worked for it and made it happen. 

• Like 7

I refuse to believe this is real. Ever since 12/31/19 turned to 1/1/20, everything has just been pure shit. This fucking sucks.

Maybe the most badass music + entrance combo I've ever seen. And that pop. 2000 wasn't kind to Scott Hall, I think we can all admit that - his "best years" were way behind him. But this was just perfect, and it's a shame we didn't get more of him in ECW. Although, with hindsight being what it is, maybe it's a good thing, since that locker room would have been toxic as hell for him most likely. But still... dude was the walking embodiment of swag before swag was a part of the lexicon. Just so. fucking. cool.

I'm glad he got sober in the last decade or so, and was able to be around for everyone giving him his flowers and got that Hall of Fame moment. 

• Like 7

This one hits and hits hard.  Razor was one of my favorites as a little kid and I got to meet him at the Spectrum in Philly(definitely showing my age on that venue).  Loved his entire career and moreso his hard work towards his sobriety.  Like someone said, his heart was most likely in bad shape due to the years of hard partying but im so happy he got his swan song and was able to have quality years added to his life because of the work he put in.  He earned every second of those years.

• Like 1

It's something I've kind of forgotten about over the intervening 25+ years, but Hall was absolutely one of my first favourite wrestlers, a solid #2 behind Bret in the early-to-mid 90's. Just such a cool guy who, though consensus seems to have long swung the other way on this matter, a hell of a good worker. The first guy for me who made being a Bad Guy good.

• Like 3

Man..  this hurts.  I don't say this a lot, Scott Hall had the talent to be a guy you build a promotion around. In many ways I feel even though he will be remembered as a guy who changed the business, he could have been on the very short short list. From around '98 through 2002 he could have been on that top Attitude Era level of guys with The Undertaker, Rock and Austin if he'd been sober and willing. 

As it stands he still had a tremendous career. Famous ladder marches with Shawn and nWo angle in WCW.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Man, I am so fucking sad about this. Someone on Twitter summed it up best: Swag before swag was a thing. You can argue about better workers, his personal issues, or anything else all day long, but *very* few had that intangible of just being cool as shit without seeming like they were even trying. Maybe three other guys ever. I've got close friends who haven't seen a second of pro-wrestling in the last 20 years who will still occasionally give you a "Hey, yo." My own mother called me during one of those reunion Raws to tell me Hall and Nash were on their way out. That's staying power.

• Like 7

All that size, all the swagger, charisma, and connections to be a top guy and he made himself as small as can be. A real life Ant-Man just depending on how and when and what you're looking at with Scott Hall.

People say Big E and Seth Rollins have charisma ... man, they're just willing to act a fool, if you ask me. But yeah, I grew up watching The Bad Guy. Dude was the real x-factor all along. Anyone can be themselves, but no one in wrestling will ever be Scott Hall again. And any wrestling fan who doesn't get the depth of that statement is surely missing out.

RIP, Chico...

• Like 2