DVDVR Message Board

2022 SPRING TRAINING MOTHERFUCKERS

Dolfan in NYC

Apparently among the provisions in the new CBA is that all teams will be offering English as a Second Language and Spanish as a Second Language classes.

Deal on the table for Carlos Correa is a six year deal for stupid money per (like $35 million), with an opt-out after year 1.  So, basically, a 1 year deal, do the dance next summer.  Carlos wanted a 10 year deal.  Also, Lance McCullers will not be ready for the start of the season. 

23 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Someone arrest Jerry DiPoto for robbery.

Mariners get Jesse Winker and Euginio Suarez from Reds for Justin Dunn, Brandon Williamson and Jake Fraley

The Mariners are taking on Suarez's full contract (which is another 3 years, $35 million)

I am not sure that is a sunk cost I would be willing to take on to acquire Winker but whatever

Why not as deep as fighting over COVID - that is why I made my comment about Donaldson and Cole since Donaldson was the big leader last year about how Gerrit Cole was a dirty cheater

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Mariners are taking on Suarez's full contract (which is another 3 years, $35 million)

I am not sure that is a sunk cost I would be willing to take on to acquire Winker but whatever

I know that I don't pay attention to MLB like I used to but... Suarez is a guy I'd never heard of before yesterday.  And I just found out he hit 49 homers 2 years ago.  It kinda boggles my mind that somebody could hit 49 homers in a season and I've never heard of them but here we are.

16 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

The Braves gave an 8 Year Extension worth $168 Million to Matt Olson about 30 mins ago. 

As these things go, that seems about as safe a contract as you can get.  Other than last year, Olson's been really consistent, plays every game, Gold Glove defense, and hit 39 homers in freaking Oakland last year.  $21m per for that seems very, very reasonable.

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

As these things go, that seems about as safe a contract as you can get.  Other than last year, Olson's been really consistent, plays every game, Gold Glove defense, and hit 39 homers in freaking Oakland last year.  $21m per for that seems very, very reasonable.

Yes and Freeman wanted north of $30M per year.  Olson's 27-years old. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Just one? Let's wait till Boston has to make their first trip north of the border and we see how many people can't make it in. 

Oh don't worry bro...the Yanks and BoSox are on my permanent shit list. Phillies are just the newest member...I should have phrased my post better lol

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

As for who might be affected by such a thing, here's a guy giving everyone a very clear answer while attempting to be coy.

Not really surprising since he basically gave the same answer last season after he tested positive. Back then though there was also a hint of NATURAL IMMUNITY~! as the reason

Thanks to baseballs efforts to associate themselves with PEDs (even if NFL guys probably do more PEDs)... there's a lot of needle jokes in play for players who aren't getting vaccinated, even the guys who really shouldn't be getting accused of using PEDs.

There's certain standards that aren't going to be enforced here. For example, we're not stripping people who got their most recent shot 11 months ago from being able to claim being fully vaxxed (because that'd piss some people off). They're not doing a vax mandate for Yankee Stadium (they didn't for Barclays, so Kyrie gets to be there). There's apparently no distinction between indoor/outdoor but they'll let 50000 people attend a Yankee game without a mandate.

So, it's sort of a matter of either going all-in (which they can't really do because it's an election year and they wanna show progress), or not half-assing it because I suspect half-assing this is gonna help the perception of doing anything here.

Feels like getting the full force of NYC Sports Talk radio (now with people who care more about Baseball than the NBA!) into this discussion will do wonders for the discourse.

Also - remember that it only applies to the home teams, so unvaccinated away team players are still allowed to play (this is why the NBA has gotten so frustrated with NYC)

Everyone is going to focus on the Yanks because they always do but the Mets were one of the 6 teams who didn't reach the 85% threshold last year.

I am gonna defer to @Dolfan in NYC here since he has to live it every day but I would be shocked if the mandate was still in place come opening day.

Really, the one way this could get more dramatic is if the Yankees started suggesting they'd stay in Tampa instead of playing in the Bronx.

There's sort of a balance between using all your power to get your business carved out of this rule, or going so far that there's a "fuck you, we're keeping the rule" backlash

Mayor Adams has been pretty gung ho about lifting the mandates.  Seems everyone here is ready for it.  So yeah, I'm expecting them to be gone by 4/1.  

Though I will add two pretty big caveats here: 

1) People I've talked to and I agree, the vaccine mandate will probably be lifted more or less at the same time the mask requirement on public transportation is, which last I read is on track for mid-April.   (And once that's lifted, I sincerely doubt it will ever come back.)

2) If that new "stealth Omicron" subvariant turns out to be a problem, all bets are off. 

--

I'd say it's about 75/25 that the vax mandate is gone by opening day.   But I'm glad I was right about hating Judge when I first laid eyes on him.