DVDVR Message Board

NEW JAPAN ON AXS- RESTART!

DEAN

More G-1 stuff!  Jay White and Great O'Khan reminds me that Great O'Khan hasn't had any strippers on his twitter feed lately.  Did he find the Lord or something?  I like IMPACT! Jay White more than the annoying New Japan Jay White.  I guess New Japan instructs all their international talent to be obnoxious, as I like Will Ospreay more outside of New Japan too.  I guess they want them to be the opposite of the stoic native talent.  Who could be sure?  White mangles the knee of O'Khan and then goes to his myriad of finishers.  O'Khan has a moment of hope but White chop blocks him.  Nice Everest German Suplex by White.  NICE Urinagi by White.  Oh yeah, I forget that Jay White is one of the best professional wrestlers on earth.  Good Belly to Belly suplex by O'Khan.  White goes back to crushing the knee especially with a Reverse Figure Four.  O'Khan hits Mongolian Chops!  Great O'Khan IS Tony Atlas!  He does more and resembles the great Killer Khan!  Though Great O'Khan isn't NEARLY as good as Killer Khan.  I loved the punch to the face by O'Khan after procuring a Clawhold.  White hits a Bladerunner while in the Claw, which was a fun finish.  Shingo Takagi is awesome.  I await his reunion with the rest of the Dudes With Attitude.  Will Ospreay's coat is pretty fabulous.  I think he wore that at his match last night.  Let me check.  Yes, yes he did.  Takagi is used to reeling in wacky highfliers so this should be good and he grounds Ospreay early.  Ospreay OVER-RVDs on a DDT and snaps to his feet, which I have never seen done before and hits a fucking crazy plancha to the floor.  Ospreay is like the first time you ever saw Rey Misterio Jr sometimes- just crazy spectacular.  I like how Shingo is reeling in Ospreay, allowing time to set up his athletic craziness.  Takagi is a total quality rudo in this- beating on the technico and then rolling with the flashy offense of the technico.  Nice Spanish Fly by Ospreay FOR TWO!  Nice 450.  Cool counter by Shingo into a cross armbreaker.  Shingo hits three fucking beautiful finishers after spindling Ospreay's arn, a Diamond Cutter off the ropes, a Death Valley Driver and SWEET Lariat.  Ospreay kicks out.  Takagi is fired up.  He goes for Ospreay's finisher but Ospreay reverses it into Takagi's finisher for two and then hits a toprope Diamond Cutter for two and this match got good.  Poison Rana by Takagi and Ospreay hits a Hidden Blade before collapsing allowing Takagi to kick out.  Ospreay kicks him in the head a bunch to set up a batch of nearfalls.  GREAT Dragon Suplex and GREATER Lariat by Takagi.  NASTY running elbow to set up Takagi's LAST OF THE DRAGON for the WIN!  That was good.  I'm trying to figure out if this was the best Will Ospreay match I've seen this week.  Maybe.  Shingo Takagi is fucking awesome.  But so is Pac and the Lucha Brothers.  This match was a regular wrestling match and Takagi really reeled in Ospreay and made it a psychologically sound match.  The trios match on Dynamite was a more full-bore Ospreay outing and he was more impressive with his big moves.  Hmmmm, I'm leaning towards this match.

Juice Robinson and El Phantasmo was a whole lot of fucking around.  There is waaay too much non-fucking around wrestling on TV to have to PUT UP WITH THAT!  Then it got pretty good and then they had that finish.  I dunno.  It's Okada versus Jonah!  It's annoying that the finish was spoiled for me by Jonah on Twitter when Okada won the G-1.  Anyway,  let's watch, shall we?  Kind of a laid back entrance for Okada.  I guess it's a G-1 thing.  Jonah is a behemoth.  I guess I need to find the Jonah vs Jeff Cobb match.  I assume Jeff Cobb was a total ROBOT in that.  Jonah crushes Okada with his girth.  Okada goes on offense on the outside and they battle to see who will suplex who in the ramp!  Jonah OPTS pounce on him and headbutt him!  Jonah starts the bearmauling section of the match by throwing him into the rail and bashing him into the ring post!  Okada hits a GREAT series of shoulderblocks to take Jonah off his feet and hits a DDT FOR TWO!  Tito Wolf Zaddy makes a cameo!  Okada DDTs Jonah on the floor after being distracted, which leads to a fucking BEAUTIFUL Tope Con Hilo by Okada.  Jonah hits a Spear and then completely CRUSHES Okada with a Senton.  Okada backdrops Jonah and ruins his own back.  Nice dropkick by Okada to set up a German Suplex by Okada, which is impressive because it's like German Suplexing a refrigerator.  GREAT fucking Lariat by Jonah.  For TWO!  Powerbomb and SUPERFLY SPLASH BY JONAH FOR THE WIN!  So Jonah wrestles how Jeff Cobb SHOULD wrestle.  Jonah was a MONSTER and that was a great bearmauling.  Jonah has a win over Okada.  Not many folks can say that.

Juicey Boy and El-P going all comedy was pretty fitting for Osaka, as noted by the commentators. The O-Pro lightbulb immediately came on over my head when they mentioned "the weirdo Osaka fans" or something like that. That was a lot of cursing too. But was any of it funny or good? ...

Jonah is THE IMMOVABLE OBJECT. He cut a pretty good promo after too. 

• Like 1

BRUV!  takes on Juice Robinson and they start off brawling at ringside!  Ospreay is a really good highflier.  Ospreay is total freak, sacrificing his ribs on the railing.  Juice is a good little wrestler.  Ospreay is a more athletic AJ Styles, if that's possible.  He has just TOO MUCH athletic ability.  Great Lariat on the apron by Juice.  Ospreay can make reality any idea he has in his head, as he flies over the top turnbuckle and tries to Sunset Flip Robinson on the other side of the ring to the floor, but instead powerbombs him onto the apron.  It's insane.  The key is to reel him in and make his insane athleticism make sense.  Chekhov's exposed floor comes back as he piledrives Ospreay on the de-matted floor!  Robinson hits a KILLSWITCH!  FOR TWO!  Ospreay hits his Hidden Blade and gets the win!  That was good.  Juice Robinson is underrated.  Will Ospreay is otherworldly.  Shingo Takagi!  El Phantasmo!  I assume ELP will fuck around a lot. I was wrong.  ELP goes total  New Japan Junior and Shingo goes all Dragon Gate.  Shingo is awesome on offense.  ELP is good on offense in response.  Shingo's Death Valley Driver on the floor is suitably gnarly.  Shingo is soooo my favorite wrestler in New Japan.  This match is good!  GREAT fucking Lariat by Shingo FOR TWO!  NICE Piledriver by ELP for the win!  That was great!  It's Zack Sabre Jr!  It's Tetsuya Naito!  Sabre beats the crap out of him early.   This is fun! Naito wins in one minute, fifty-eight seconds!  Naito is a total dick, taunting Sabre postmatch.  

The Sabre match was great and the aftermath was better. Best part was the genuine smile from Naito who broke up from the baseball spot on the floor. 

I missed everything else... bruv

Oh wait I did see one segment of ELP/Shingo where Shingo kept talking into the camera, getting attacked, talking into the camera rinse and repeat. That was also funny.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Tama Tonga takes on Jay White!  Will Jay White annoy me?  He is in Japan where they encourage him to annoy me.  Speaking of annoying,  it's hard to go from the best commentators in Wrestling, Matthew Rehwoldt and Tom Hannifan of IMPACT!, to the shittiest commentators on free TV.  I will soldier through!  I RULE!  This match is an average New Japan G-1 match, high level execution and you don't know who is going to win no matter who is in it.  NICE Superfly Splash by Tama Tonga.  Jay White is so fucking good.  He hits a beautiful Uranage and follows with a GREAT Sleeper Suplex.  Tonga counters a Bladerunner with a Tongan Twist!  A Variation on the Bladerunner.  GREAT inside cradle counter to the Bladerunner and this match is good.  Tonga hits the Gun Stun for the WIN!  That was good.  Tonga is good, very improved from when I saw him last, in IMPACT! Jay White is very intense cutting a very 1975 Mid-South promo to heat up a title match against Tama Tonga.  That is more of how I like Jay White.  It's Lance Archer!  It's Okada!  Archer Pounces!  Archer is awesome CRUSHING Okada against the barricade with a Brodie King Cannonball!  Archer hits a SWANK Moonsault after walking the ropes.  Rainmaker by Okada begins Okada's comeback- as Archer has beaten the crud out of him so far.  Fabulous dropkick by Okada gets the ball rolling.  Okada ruins his back by bodyslamming Archer.  A Top Rope Elbow Drop sets up a Rainmaker but Archer counters.  AWESOME BIG BOY DROPKICK by Archer.  GREAT nearfall as Archer hits a Rainmaker on Okada FOR TWO!  BLACK OUT BY ARCHER!  FOR TWO!  Archer goes back to beating the fudge out of Okada.  GREAT Lariat by Archer after a Sleeper section.  Another beautiful Dropkick by Okada to set the Rainmaker sequence and Okada WINS!  That was good.  Lance Archer is a good big boy wrestler.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!  It's that Okada/Ospreay G-1 Final that Meltzer gave six stars!  This match is fucking great. I really dug when Ospreay used all the finishers that beat Okada previously, but gets cut off before he can hit the One Winged Angel.  That was great.  The commentators were horrendous.

Ryusuke Taguchi and Master Wato versus TJ Perkins and Francesco Akira for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag titles is all high impact and fun.  It didn't drive the memory of Shinjiro Ohtani and Koji Kanemoto versus Jushin Thunder Lyger and El Samurai out of my head but TJP is so underrated. Master Wato hits a MOTHERFUCKING BEAUTIFUL High Angle EVEREST German Suplex on Akira.  I need to watch more Wato.    Hiroshi Tanahashi versus Karl Anderson was fun if a bit overdramatic by Karl Anderson selling the knee very loudly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That fucking German was insane. Replayed it about ten times; we need a gif. Who even is Francesco Akira? 

It's in here,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Still haven't watched the semis of finals of G1. I have them, but I'm just not an Okada fan so knowing he wins has slowed my getting to them. Is Finlay/Ospreay better than Juice/Finlay?

Yeah.  It feels more important.

• Like 1

Dug the story of Finlay/Juice more, but Finlay/Ospreay was pretty damn good. Definitely felt like Finlay was trying to up his game to match someone of Ospreay's level. And not that things weren't already going well, but I loved how it really kicked into next gear with the attack on Ospreay;s hand. Finlay was a vicious bastard, and Ospreay reacted perfectly to all of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That was a really, really fun match. Of course I loved the Satanic Team Filthy gear. A total cluster but a tight, hot packed crowd and a lot of comedy. Was also nice that it was an old fashioned, UWF vs. NJPW elimination rules match. And Eddie kinda sorta wins even though he isnt legal! Nice work.

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That was a really, really fun match. Of course I loved the Satanic Team Filthy gear. A total cluster but a tight, hot packed crowd and a lot of comedy. Was also nice that it was an old fashioned, UWF vs. NJPW elimination rules match. And Eddie kinda sorta wins even though he isnt legal! Nice work.

I dug the Jay White/Eddie Kingston sections.

The ELP/Shingo match was a lot of fun.  I love the whole "I am your daddy!" feud.  That finisher was WILDLY nasty.  I really hope Jay White and Eddie Kingston hating each other spills over to AEW.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man, FTR vs O-Khan and Jeff Cobb is so much better on my big TV screen as opposed to from a ransomeware site on my computer.  So Cash Wheeler has the best Lariat currently in wrestling.  Jeff Cobb is a fucking robot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

Shota Umino versus Will Ospreay was good.  A little too fast for a heavyweight match.  I dug the finish.

This being on AXS amuses since its literally where I'm at on the show on Stardom World and was planning to watch tonight. Wonder if they show Kairi/Mayu next week.

• Like 1