DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAA BB OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Pete said:

For all 3 of you that care, the Valley is moving to an unbalanced 20-game conference schedule to account for the expansion to 12 schools, with nine home-and-homes and two one-offs. Example, Bradley will play everyone home and away except Evansville (home) and Indiana State (road).

I am assuming outside of some rivalries, they are gonna rotate the one-offs

On 9/15/2022 at 5:04 PM, RIPPA said:

I am assuming outside of some rivalries, they are gonna rotate the one-offs

My impression as well. Dave Emmian (Peoria Journal-Star) was playing up that Bradley get Belmont/Murray twice this year.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently St John's thinks it is a good idea to induct Jayson Williams into their Hall of Fame

Among the people pissed about this... his daughters

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34846240/daughters-jayson-williams-denounce-st-john-hof-nod

It truly boggles the mind that St John's wants to honor the guy. He shot a guy with a shotgun "then wiped down the weapon and placed it in the chauffeur's hands, stripped off his own clothes, handed them to a friend and jumped into his pool". Good grief. 

• Like 2

So Manhattan decided to fire their coach - Steve Masiello - two weeks before the season is to begin

Masiello was entering the last year of his contract and it seems as if Manhattan didn't want a lame duck coach and since they couldn't reach an agreement on an extension, they fired him

It sounds like Masielo and his agent were being very brazen about wanting to attract interest from a bigger school and Manhattan got irritated.  I really can’t blame a school for expecting their coach to at least be subtle about campaigning for a better job while he is still under contract.  I’m not sure firing your coach this close to the start of the season leaves you any better off, but I’m not convinced if leaves you any worse off if the coach isn’t going to sign an extension and isn’t focused on actually coaching,   

• Like 1

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend on Wednesday were suspended for the first four games of the season, and the Jayhawks imposed several recruiting restrictions as part of the fallout from the FBI investigation into college basketball corruption stemming from 2017.

They will miss the Jayhawks' matchup against Duke in the Champions Classic on Nov. 15. Assistant coach Norm Roberts will serve as interim head coach during the first four games.

Both Self and Townsend were both named in the NCAA's notice of allegations that accused the school of five Level I violations tied to its relationship with Adidas.

They will also miss games against Omaha, North Dakota State and Southern Utah prior to the showdown against Duke. Self and Townsend will rejoin the team in time to face NC State at the Battle 4 Atlantis in the Bahamas on Nov. 23.

"Coach Townsend and I accept and support KU's decision to self-impose these sanctions," Self said in a statement. "We are in good hands with Coach Roberts, and I am confident that he will do a great job on the bench leading our team. I am proud of the way our guys have handled this situation and I look forward to returning to the bench for our game against NC State."

Kansas chose to turn its infractions case over to the Independent Accountability Resolution Process (IARP). Per the release, the school notified the IARP panel of its self-imposed penalties, which also include multiple recruiting sanctions, some of which have already been imposed.

Self and Townsend had already been barred from off-campus recruiting visits from April to July of this year, and the school also did not host any recruits at Late Night at the Phog, its annual midnight madness event. The school also will lose three scholarships over the next three years, cut down its official recruiting visits this year by four and reduce the number of permissible recruiting days during the upcoming year by 13 days.

"We are hopeful these difficult self-imposed sanctions will assist in bringing the case to a conclusion," Kansas athletic director Travis Goff said. "Until then, we will continue to focus on supporting our outstanding men's basketball student-athletes and coaches. ... Per confidentiality guidelines related to infraction cases, we are unable to comment in depth until there is full resolution of this matter."

Bob Huggins is already shit talking Gonzaga

THEY ARE IN FOR A RUDE AWAKENING~! THEY CAN'T HANDLE THE BIG 12~!

(Side note - apparently the Pac-12 and Big East are now trying to grab Gonzaga too)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Bob Huggins is already shit talking Gonzaga

THEY ARE IN FOR A RUDE AWAKENING~! THEY CAN'T HANDLE THE BIG 12~!

(Side note - apparently the Pac-12 and Big East are now trying to grab Gonzaga too)

It's going to be funny when the Zags after flying 6 or 7 hours from Spokane to Pittsburgh then a 2 hour bus ride to Morgantown, kick the shit out of the Hoopies.