DVDVR Message Board

UFC 272: Covington vs. Masvidal (03/05/2022) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

The UFC can either give him another solid veteran opponent (someone like Cub Swanson for example) or just say "Screw it" and put him in there with Josh Emmett, who is a tough out for just about anyone.

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The UFC can either give him another solid veteran opponent (someone like Cub Swanson for example) or just say "Screw it" and put him in there with Josh Emmett, who is a tough out for just about anyone.

I prefer whatever it takes to get us to Bryce vs. Ortega as soon as possible.

• Like 1

It's a bit fascinating now that co-main events for PPVs can be 5 rounds regardless of if it's a title fight or not that Dos Anjos/Moicano still ended up five rounds despite a really short notice replacement. You would think automatically it gets bumped down to three rounds.

I'd like to imagine a world where Masvidal in five round fights doesn't hit the wall around the 12 minute mark. I think that was the difference more than the wrestling because his takedown defense was very solid given Colby is elite there. Given that traditionally Colby fights better in the back half of a fight, you would think Jorge would have been marching forward instead retreating on his back foot and giving up so much ground. Eventually, your back is going to run into the fence and there is nowhere for you to go except up against it and then down to the mat. It's very strange for the better striker (even though Colby basically dominated the standup as the fight progressed) to basically cede the center of the octagon to instead retreat to the fence.

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'd like to imagine a world where Masvidal in five round fights doesn't hit the wall around the 12 minute mark. I think that was the difference more than the wrestling because his takedown defense was very solid given Colby is elite there. Given that traditionally Colby fights better in the back half of a fight, you would think Jorge would have been marching forward instead retreating on his back foot and giving up so much ground. Eventually, your back is going to run into the fence and there is nowhere for you to go except up against it and then down to the mat. It's very strange for the better striker (even though Colby basically dominated the standup as the fight progressed) to basically cede the center of the octagon to instead retreat to the fence.

I didn't watch the fight, but I feel like this is the most predictable fight of all time.  Colby is the exact type of fighter that is Masvidal's kryptonite.  He's a relentless pressure fighter with a iron jaw, who is also a cardo machine.  Masvidal is someone who is really good almost everywhere, but not really great at any particular thing.  Colby is great at the things he's good at, but only passable at everything else, but his durability and cardio allows him to get away with only being a passable striker.  If Masvidal doesn't knock him the fuck out in the first couple rounds, he's not really equipped to win a round to round fight against a grinder like Colby.  He's good enough at wrestling and grappling not to be finished, but he's not really good enough to win against someone as good as Colby if that is where the fight takes place.  Colby is really good, especially if you can't stop his forward momentum.  Masvidal is really good, but he is also the type of player who will try to compete with his opponent at their strength.  He can...but he probably shouldn't.  If you let Colby fight his fight, you lose.  The reason Usman has beat him, is because Usman can stop his forward momentum.  Seriously, if Colby comes forward and you never make him stop, reset, or reconsider his entrances, you aren't going to beat him.  Masvidal has been the type of fighter who allows his opponents to fight their fight.  It's why he lost to guys like Lorenz Larkin, Benson Henderson, and Al Iaquinta.  All competitive fights, where he just let his opponents do whatever they wanted even though it seemed like he was the better fighter during the fight.  You cannot fight Colby Covington that way, he'll win 100% of the time.

• Like 2

Masvidal also 37 and his stamina is an absolute joke. He looked woefully unfit out there, certainly not fit enough for a 5 rounder. Guy must be close to being done at this level, surprised they dont try and run him/McGregor for the pay day.

1 hour ago, A_K said:

Masvidal also 37 and his stamina is an absolute joke. He looked woefully unfit out there, certainly not fit enough for a 5 rounder. Guy must be close to being done at this level, surprised they dont try and run him/McGregor for the pay day.

Yeah, I was gonna bring up his age as well. In a boxing sense, Covington is out there with fresh, young legs and Masvidal just looked spent on dead, old legs and been through too many wars. It was hilarious and sad at the same time that at the beginning of round 5, Colby is running the pipe and turning the corner on takedowns like it's round 1 and Masvidal is struggling to just stay on his knees after giving up his back and not get his head dribbled off the mat like a Spalding basketball. That's simply demoralizing. 

If going forward, every PPV has a 5 round main event and co-main, he needs to be no more than third from the top. Unless he's nuking Nate Diaz, Jorge needs to stay away from five rounders.

• Like 1

i thought the co-main being 5 rds was due to it originally being scheduled as a main event for a Fight Night card. When it got moved over, they kept it as a 5 rounder for no real reason (except bolstering a PPV with no title defenses). thought for sure they'd drop it to 3 when Moicano stepped in, but whatever i guess.

23 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i thought the co-main being 5 rds was due to it originally being scheduled as a main event for a Fight Night card. When it got moved over, they kept it as a 5 rounder for no real reason (except bolstering a PPV with no title defenses). thought for sure they'd drop it to 3 when Moicano stepped in, but whatever i guess.

Thing is they always drop it back to 3 rounds unless the replacement agrees to five rounds.

Masvidal just got a new deal and was already getting points on the package,  there is no way whatsoever he's not going to be in main events for the foreseeable future. The next fight that makes sense is a McGregor fight once he's healthy enough to come back. I don't think Masvidal beats anyone in the top 5 at welterweight at this point. Honestly, he wasted a lot of his prime. He's an extremely talented fighter who didn't really fight with anything close to a killer instinct until he was cresting the hill. If he trained with Chute Box or one of those gyms that trains aggressiveness into their fighters when he was young, he would have probably been a champion. He has the ability, he was just missing that bit of meanness that pretty much all champions have. 

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Masvidal just got a new deal and was already getting points on the package,  there is no way whatsoever he's not going to be in main events for the foreseeable future. 

The problem with that though is if he loses fights, he won't have much of a future. I mean if you look at Nate Diaz's career...if he managed to win more than the Pettis fight (which in hindsight doesn't look that great because Clay Collard of all people managed to beat him), you could legitimately put him up against anyone just based off name recognition. A guy like Nate can lose a fight or two, however, you don't want to look up and he's somehow on a 5 fight losing streak over 3 or 4 years. Arturo Gatti managed to keep his fame and rep as boxing's ultimate blood and guts warrior despite some bad losses (see: De La Hoya and Floyd slaughtering him) simply because he managed to win some fights in between those losses. 

There's no point in tossing Masvidal in main event (or co main events) if he isn't going to win them. I doubt he fights McGregor because they're going to carefully matchmake McGregor for the same reasons up above. I mean Jorge won a fight or two, yeah, I could see that. However, he fought himself out of the McGregor sweepstakes just because what buzz would there be for that fight? He got absolutely clowned by Covington and that's after he landed a hail mary punch late in the fight that would have KO'd at least half the welterweight division. 

If he trained with Chute Box or one of those gyms that trains aggressiveness into their fighters when he was young, he would have probably been a champion. He has the ability, he was just missing that bit of meanness that pretty much all champions have. 

I don't think that was ever really Masvidal's problem. I think his issues came because at both 155 and 170, you had a bunch of amazing grapplers who knew how to strike and he was never going to be at that level as defensively to stop those guys. Besides McGregor, what UFC champion in the past several years was just purely a striker? Hell, the only one that was probably one of the best strikers in the lower weight classes for a good while in UFC history. I like Jorge, but he's nowhere close to that. Could he have taken the sport more seriously? Yes. He should not have that one ridiculous loss to Toby Imada, and he shouldn't had one of the most boneheaded strategies in MMA which lost him that fight to Paul Daley several years back. However, he was never on that level to overcome those two divisions becoming more talent rich. I think the run he went on sometime back was the best we could have ever hoped for out of Masvidal.